Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God in America

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

God in America

So...I posted about this before The Great Crash...

But for the US crowd, PBS is showing its Frontline/American Experience Collaboration God in America today, tomorrow and Wednesays.

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Re: God in America

And if you can't watch it while its on, it will be available online starting 14 Oct!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=176.msg1140#msg1140 date=1286817861]
    And if you can't watch it while its on, it will be available online starting 14 Oct!
    [/quote]

I lied...the tonight's episodes are up @ http://www.pbs.org/godinamerica/view/

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010

What is it about? (well God in America I know haha) but in what context?
    ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Its about the history of religion in America and how it has impacted our history and national identity.

I saw most of it, but I only got to pay undivided attention to the first installment. It was decent, though I don't totally agree on how they covered certain aspects, as a whole, it is fairly decent. Its available for online viewing now too...

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010

Gotcha... I don't know that I'd be able to give it my full attention either :
    ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

May be a really good production. But my temperament failed to let me watch much more than about half the first episode.

The militant and deadly history, of spreading the word of God, some 300 years ago, in this country, does nothing more than upset me. I feel such a terrible loss, for those that died simply for believing in the wrong faith. The wrong God. Living with the wrong religion in their hearts. Starting with the Pueblos? No. That's just HERE.

I can't force myself to watch and see more of what's been done, after reading and seeing so much of that horror already.

My thoughts suddenly turn to how many would become bitter, even now, over what was taking place, so long ago. A sign of the times, from the 17th century, brought to bear in the 21st century? Old grudges and new hatred.

I'm saddened.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=176.msg2643#msg2643 date=1287082611]

My thoughts suddenly turn to how many would become bitter, even now, over what was taking place, so long ago. A sign of the times, from the 17th century, brought to bear in the 21st century? Old grudges and new hatred.

[/quote]

My hope is that people would watch it and see how they DON'T want to be...

...of course, as Scott pointed out to me...the people that watch it are already the ones that are already aware enough that its just preaching to the choir.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Dec 2005
    Religion
    Chaote: It varies.

I really liked it. I know its the stated mission of the special to expound upon how religious movements affected our nations history, but... it did that really well!

I might use info from this, as well as stuff from the bible to form an argument that says "Yes, this *is* a Christian Nation. Nowhere else could we have the freedoms we love, particularly the freedom of / from religion." I wonder who'll be more annoyed - Christians or Atheists?
    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

'eh, I think the book Founding Faith did a better job

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee