God in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God in America

So...I posted about this before The Great Crash...

But for the US crowd, PBS is showing its Frontline/American Experience Collaboration God in America today, tomorrow and Wednesays.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: God in America

And if you can't watch it while its on, it will be available online starting 14 Oct!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=176.msg1140#msg1140 date=1286817861]
      And if you can't watch it while its on, it will be available online starting 14 Oct!
      [/quote]

I lied...the tonight's episodes are up @ http://www.pbs.org/godinamerica/view/
      sigpic

Comment

What is it about? (well God in America I know haha) but in what context?
        ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Comment

Its about the history of religion in America and how it has impacted our history and national identity.

I saw most of it, but I only got to pay undivided attention to the first installment. It was decent, though I don't totally agree on how they covered certain aspects, as a whole, it is fairly decent. Its available for online viewing now too...
          sigpic

Comment

Gotcha... I don't know that I'd be able to give it my full attention either :
            ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Comment

May be a really good production. But my temperament failed to let me watch much more than about half the first episode.

The militant and deadly history, of spreading the word of God, some 300 years ago, in this country, does nothing more than upset me. I feel such a terrible loss, for those that died simply for believing in the wrong faith. The wrong God. Living with the wrong religion in their hearts. Starting with the Pueblos? No. That's just HERE.

I can't force myself to watch and see more of what's been done, after reading and seeing so much of that horror already.

My thoughts suddenly turn to how many would become bitter, even now, over what was taking place, so long ago. A sign of the times, from the 17th century, brought to bear in the 21st century? Old grudges and new hatred.

I'm saddened.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=176.msg2643#msg2643 date=1287082611]

My thoughts suddenly turn to how many would become bitter, even now, over what was taking place, so long ago. A sign of the times, from the 17th century, brought to bear in the 21st century? Old grudges and new hatred.

[/quote]

My hope is that people would watch it and see how they DON'T want to be...

...of course, as Scott pointed out to me...the people that watch it are already the ones that are already aware enough that its just preaching to the choir.
                sigpic

Comment

I really liked it. I know its the stated mission of the special to expound upon how religious movements affected our nations history, but... it did that really well!

I might use info from this, as well as stuff from the bible to form an argument that says "Yes, this *is* a Christian Nation. Nowhere else could we have the freedoms we love, particularly the freedom of / from religion." I wonder who'll be more annoyed - Christians or Atheists?
                  "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                  http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                  "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                  http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                  "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                  http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

'eh, I think the book Founding Faith did a better job
                    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=176.msg2643#msg2643 date=1287082611]
                      May be a really good production. But my temperament failed to let me watch much more than about half the first episode.

The militant and deadly history, of spreading the word of God, some 300 years ago, in this country, does nothing more than upset me. I feel such a terrible loss, for those that died simply for believing in the wrong faith. The wrong God. Living with the wrong religion in their hearts. Starting with the Pueblos? No. That's just HERE.

I can't force myself to watch and see more of what's been done, after reading and seeing so much of that horror already.

I'm saddened.
                      [/quote]Once you get through the Pueblo Massacre, it gets a bit more... uplifting? We can see where this "Personal Savior" thing originated, and how it actually started the ball rolling on allowing doctrinal differences to coexist.

What saddened me was the response to Atheists and Humanists demanding equal rights, in the fight to remove religious education from schools. These people's treatment was reminiscent of the oppression endured by blacks in the fight for Civil Rights. Then again, this was during the era of McCarthyism, so... we were the "God Fearing Americans", and that was what would make us win against the Soviets. I can see why it happened that way, but I don't like it.
                      "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                      http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                      "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                      http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                      "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                      http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                      X