No announcement yet.

Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no preference of one over the other and wouldn't care of either franchise were to stop making new movies and/or television shows tomorrow.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Re: Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

I like good science fiction and neither of these shows are about science fiction. Star Trek does incorporate more science into the show but the story lines are about the social and economic problems we face in real life. Star Wars is more like a space cowboy movie with magic and religion thrown in to make the elements stronger instead of money being the source of power. The "science" is just there and you just have to accept it. The "magic" is there and even though it is explained it is limited to a few gifted people. Instead of horses, the good guys have their nearly sentient androids.
      Of the two, Star Trek is the better science fiction but only because you get to understand the technology a bit. Both shows explore good and evil but Star Trek has always shown there are degrees of good and evil and that fanatics rarely change.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

In case there was any doubt, Wars. Trek occasionally amuses me but I love Wars.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I think some people are unclear as to what constitutes science fiction.
          A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Neither is superior to each other. Both are totally different and need to be appreciated on their own terms.

The old "star trek gave us all this tech" argument is frankly nothing more than spin. Everything that is claimed to exist because of star trek is a foreseeable development of existing technology and science.

George Lucas is a terrible director. The original star wars films ( I am a total star wars fan boy) had huge flaws and do not hold up well to time. His embracing of merchandising and sfx killed off any hope of having decent story focused plot ,hence why they lost their producer after empire.

- - - Updated - - -

Its almost as if people forget we had portable communication devices before star trek...

- - - Updated - - -

As a star wars fan it was never the battles that entertained me, those only really became important in the prequels.
            It was always the classic "King Arthur" narrative. An orphan raised in hardship finds out he is important , gets ancient magic item, fights evil, loses mentor and makes friends

- - - Updated - - -

Then it was the expanded universe material which developed the setting and kept it Alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Star trek really played on issues that were effecting the viewers at the time. Most of the original series I "Reds vs Blues" .
            It helped make people aware of things science was working on at the time. The follow on series started introducing more universe consistency and even decent multi episode plot lines.
            Deep space 9 was by the beat for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              You are wrong. Did I not just tell you AND link you to actual scientific gadgets that Star Trek used and we use now?

Just because you say something after evidence is given to you doesn't mean you are correct. In fact facts are going to let me tell you in no uncertain terms...you are actually factually wrong.

There. I said it.
              My dear Duce,I think you are knocking on an empty door....as in waste of time explaining....
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Heh, I love how that list of tech gets updated to ever slightly more modern versions. Sadly a lot of it is all based from existing tech. I am not saying star trek did not inspire people to help move that technology forwards I just think it is doing a disservice to those who created and worked on getting the science to a point where it was suggested In star trek.
                as an example jet-injectors are old tech, theorised in the early 1900s and patented in the 60s. Phasers ect... Star trek was never the first program to push lasers/death rays

Comment

Working...
                X