Herbs in desserts and sweet treats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbs in desserts and sweet treats.

I was browsing Pinterest and saw a recipe for rosemary and salted dark chocolate chunk cookies. It got me to thinking of some other treats I've heard of before such as the lavender lemonade someone posted recently and chili powder in hot cocoa. What are some other herb and sweet pairings?

Re: Herbs in desserts and sweet treats.

Mint and lemon balm both pair well with fruit and other sweet dishes.

I made some sugar coated nuts once with rosemary. The recipe involved sauteeing the nuts in butter, brown sugar, and rosemary. They were tasty.

Aniseed is great in cookies. Lavender works well in cookies and cakes, especially when paired with lemon.

Basil tastes good with berries. I like it with strawberries and raspberries.

Comment

Basil and orange sorbet
      Lemon and thyme
      Rosemary and grapefruit
      Chocolate and cayenne

I will come back with more.

Ohhh ohh I have a rosemary and olive oil cake that is AHmazing.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Aniseed cookies sound delicious! When it warms up, I'll have to make frozen pops out of strawberry basil and orange basil; both sound tasty.

Comment

lavender shortbread with rose icing is a favorite of my mom
          A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Alright do I have to stay with herbs? Because I can come up with way more savory items to make with dessert if I don't have to stick with dessert.
            Like balsamic strawberry swirl brownies, sweet corn ice cream, bacon caramel corn, chocolate gnocchi, apple cheddar galette, and good lady just peddling around I found a beet root cheesecake. Its more savory then sweet but its fun and pretty lookin.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I must add that I like tea a lot. So I have made an Earl Grey chocolate turtle, and would love to make an Earl Grey Ice Cream. Chai tea is also one of those thats super versatile and can be used with many desserts.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
              Alright do I have to stay with herbs? Because I can come up with way more savory items to make with dessert if I don't have to stick with dessert.
              Like balsamic strawberry swirl brownies, sweet corn ice cream, bacon caramel corn, chocolate gnocchi, apple cheddar galette, and good lady just peddling around I found a beet root cheesecake.
              List whatever you like; I'm open to all kinds of treats. Balsamic strawberry swirl brownies sound very interesting!

Comment

Nutmeg or ground almond in Hot chocolate.

Cinnamon in coffee - (sometimes - needs to be the right coffee - never works well with instant.)

Basil with lemon butter (I think some people call it lemon curd)

Comment

I have recipes for Lavender Creams (tea biscuits), Empire Cupcakes which are made with Violette, Absinthe biscuits with a sprinkle of lavender, Tea eggs (hard boiled eggs cracked the steeped in black tea, star anise, fennel, cloves and cinnamon). Those are just a few I can think of I have many more.

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post

Cinnamon in coffee - (sometimes - needs to be the right coffee - never works well with instant.)
                    We often put cardamom in our coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
                      We often put cardamom in our coffee.
                      I do that sometimes. Otherwise, i drink it 100% black.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Cinnamon in coffee is also really good.

Comment

I thought I already said that

Comment

Working...
                          X