elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elements

I am wondering something,while I am aware of the five elements earth,air,water,fire and spirit
    I am wondering were electricity would fit in as you do see it a lot during thunderstorms in the form
    of lightning but it is around a lot

Re: elements

Most people I know would place it into fire.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Fire mixes with fire, earth mixes with earth, water mixes with water and air mixes with air. None of them mix with each other. What does electricity mix with out of these? Personally I would place it into earth. It's where electricity, particularly lightning, wishes to end up dissipating, but being a rather vague substance, and that it can start fires, I can see why fire would work.
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
        Fire mixes with fire, earth mixes with earth, water mixes with water and air mixes with air. None of them mix with each other. What does electricity mix with out of these? Personally I would place it into earth. It's where electricity, particularly lightning, wishes to end up dissipating, but being a rather vague substance, and that it can start fires, I can see why fire would work.
        you say the elements do not mix with each other? I thought for example that
        fire + water = steam witch you do see in nature

Comment

Fire mixes with fire, earth mixes with earth, water mixes with water and air mixes with air. None of them mix with each other.
          All of them mix with one another, Elementally. Fire isn't just a flame or a fire, its the earliest understood physical representation of energy and is the symbol of transformation. The elemental concept of Fire isn't the same as the chemical and physical reaction we call fire. Water isn't just water, its other liquids, Air is other gases, and Earth, solids.

Water and Fire make steam (Air), Fire and Earth make magma (Water), etc.

To answer the OP, Fire is generally the customary answer, I've seen Air too. Personally, I think its usually a combination of the two, along with water (clouds=Water+Air) when its in the form of most weather lightning. Electricity is energy, so its elemental Fire. The electricity of lightning comes from particles of ice and water suspended in air causing a static build up that travel through the air and occurs when a channel of ionized air is formed from that process. Not all lightning goes to the ground. Sometimes it stays in the clouds, travels to another cloud, or even goes up.
          A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

If I recall correctly lightning starts at the ground then climbs upwards when a bolt strikes. However sheet lightning and ball lightning for instance never touch the ground but simply dissipate in the air.

I do think though you can't fully state that the elements do not mix. Consider the juncture of earth and water is mud, juncture of fire and water is steam, fire and earth is lava / magma. Don't see it used that much any more but I recall a time when an elemental chart had what might be called minor unions listed such as juncture of earth and water was salt water if water dominated yet mud if earth dominated.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I would put it with the category of fire and air. Since lightning does come from the sky and is formed in clouds. That's just my thought.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
                I am wondering something,while I am aware of the five elements earth,air,water,fire and spirit
                I am wondering were electricity would fit in as you do see it a lot during thunderstorms in the form
                Electricity = energy = Fire.

Also, traditionally, lightning is generally considered to be of Fire, because before people understood the science of lightning they just saw the flash in the sky and the fires started when it struck trees and the charred spots where it hit the ground. Ergo, Fire.

I disagree entirely.

For pretty much the reasons already stated. And I'm too tired right now to type out my own answer.

Can I ask why you think they don't mix with each other? I've never heard that in any of the traditions or disciplines I've studied.

Comment

I also got to thinking that seeing the earth makes a magnetic field would
                  electricity also fit in with earth ?

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    If I recall correctly lightning starts at the ground then climbs upwards when a bolt strikes. However sheet lightning and ball lightning for instance never touch the ground but simply dissipate in the air.
                    Cloud-to-ground (CTG) lightning is the most common form of lightning. Ground-to-cloud (GTC) lightning is rare in nature, but occurs with some regularity because of tall man-made structures. GTC lightning is almost always in conjunction with in-cloud lightning. The easiest way to explain it is that leftover electricity from the in-cloud discharge becomes concentrated at the apex of the tall thing and is able to create its own leader (the channel of ionized air that the electrical discharge we call lightning follows).
                    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
                      I would definitely put it with fire, not least because a lightning strike will set stuff alight.

- - - Updated - - -

I think lightning is a plasma, so putting it under fire would also make sense if you accept the idea of mapping the traditional four elements onto the modern states of matter. Earth = solid, water = fluid, air = gas, fire = plasma.
                      Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                      Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                      And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                      Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Spiny Norman View Post
                        I would definitely put it with fire, not least because a lightning strike will set stuff alight.
                        Only when it hits stuff like trees. A lightning bolt will go over a car and into the ground like a Faraday cage, and lightning does hit water. In both instances, no fire is created.

The concept of elements was a natural one, even in ancient times it was a way to categorize matter and substance. Water and fire don't mix. Throw a bucket of water on a fire and see what happens.

Furthermore, lightning can cross water, as can earth. Fire cannot. Lightning can travel through earth and be absorbed by it. Fire is extinguished and water passes through unchanged.

Comment

The way I understand the elements is that they are not really part of the physical reality. They are spiritual qualities and quantities that we use physical constructs to understand.
                          Lightning is plasma and is the fourth state of matter. Most fires produce flames which contain plasma so there is that aspect of association. But the Element of Fire is not physical. It just contains attributes that we associate with the burning heart or forge. Passion, lust, destruction, transformation, danger and protection and other attributes too numerous to mention. Trying to fit physical worldly events into the spiritual realm can be both convoluted and confusing for me because as I understand the Elements it is they which are used to define our spiritual world and not the physical.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Regarding that elements don't mix may be a part of an ancient philosophy on classical elements, but I don't know. To me it's common sense. The fact water becomes steam in contact with fire is a result of their incompatibility. One must drive out the other. One will always win. Water will not remain in close company with fire.

Comment

The physical attributes of fire are heat and transformation of fuel into gaseous products. Heat changes the state of water from a liquid to a gas which causes cooling through the evaporation. Too little water on a fire and the results are more fire but, too much water and the result is less fire. The spiritual Elements combine to add the characteristics of each but never negate the other.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X