Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any value in comproming one's "principles"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any value in comproming one's "principles"?

Just what the sign on the door says:

Should a person ever willingly compromise on his/her "principles" (definition used for "principles": belief in right/wrong actions)? Why or why not?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Is there any value in comproming one's "principles"?

I think yes. Because sometimes it's best to compromise in order to have peace between people, or in order for them to cooperate, in business for example.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Yes. Because I like to stay alive.
      Ask those who kept their principal up at the face of death.
      Well. You might first have to go to their graves.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Depends on the principle, why it's being violated and what choices are available at the time.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

And of course this isn't an easy question. Oh never can corbin just post a simple yes or no question. That being said I have some principles that I will not and would not compromise. If that means death then by all means. For instance I am not going to let an adult molest a child because said person is bigger then me or because they're family, or my "friend". Other examples, abuse, I will not allow someone to abuse another person or animal. I will get in the middle of it and I don't care if its not my business. One that I would bend, stealing, it is wrong to steal but if someone is starving and they steal some food I am not going to turn them in. Now you steal some make-up from the store because you liked the color and didn't want to pay for it then we have a problem. Its all situational. I have no wish to sacrifice my integrity but sometimes I need to bend a little.
          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

That doesn't even touch upon giving the perception of bending or changing ones principles vice actually changing them. Seen more than a few times where I have appeared to change my position because it enabled me to get closer to someone or into some group. Really doesn't touch upon presenting a false face or illusion while you adhere to your own principles on the inside or in private.

I'd say many on this site fall into that category as they hide their spirituality while pretending to be something else.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post

I'd say many on this site fall into that category as they hide their spirituality while pretending to be something else.
              Like they are hiding who they are here? Or you mean out in the real world?

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Like they are hiding who they are here? Or you mean out in the real world?
                Out in the real world based upon what some people have said. Though to be honest with some of the statements i'm not sure some are not playing / hiding here.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Out in the real world based upon what some people have said. Though to be honest with some of the statements i'm not sure some are not playing / hiding here.
                  Yeah I can see that. But who goes around telling people their spiritual beliefs? I mean I'm not talking to the Ralph's gal about the grapes and how The Dark Lord prefers seedless.

People mostly keep their spirituality private.
                  But people like to tell you their religious dogma.
                  Two totally different things they don't seem to comprehend.

Comment

LOL - one of my principles is: It is better to hide that it is to fight a pointless and unwinable battle.

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Discretion is the better part of valour. One of my favourite phrases ever. If any wisdom of common sense has saved me from trouble, it's that one.

If compromise means 'be pragmatic to keep the peace', then yes, for the most part.

I won't lie, I may oppose something and not compromise my beliefs if someone expects me to stand by, I will still believe it to be wrong, but in many instances I would probably be too cowardly to do anything about it. Just how it is.
                      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                      But that day you know I left my money
                      And I thought of you only
                      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Though to be honest with some of the statements i'm not sure some are not playing / hiding here.
                        I resemble this remark....

though not necessarily in the way it was meant
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Who needs principles or an inherent value in doing something?

Comment

I have found over the years that principles are sometimes not really what they seem to be. As in war is a necessary evil because of fear that without war,we would be overcome.
                            Our beliefs(principles) might just be what we were told was the truth,and as we age we find other truths.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think of principles as goals. All things being perfect, they are something easy to achieve. The world is rarely perfect, and principles often need to be modified to something that works.
                              A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X