The Science Of Negative People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Science Of Negative People

Is there a science of why people are so negative and toxic? Because I've some theories of why people are so negative. 1. Negative people want to be so cool and popular. 2. They hang out with other negative people and they mimic the toxic behavior from negative people. 3. Negative people have a difficult and abusive childhood. Those are my theories.

Re: The Science Of Negative People

Because toxicity is fun.

Comment

These aren't theories, and tbh, they'd need a lot of work before they could even be considered hypotheses...at best, they are personal suppositions and therefor are not science and this thread probably belongs in rants or general discussion

But since I'm on my phone and prefer not to do mod things from there, lets make this a science lesson.

Define "negative". Give me a list of traits displayed by "negative" people. Are we talking pessimism here or stinginess or bullying?

Do your research. Behavioral science has been a thing for a while. What studies with actual hypotheses support your supposition?

Show me the data. Science is testable. Science delivers data which are statistically interpreted to be significant or not, usually to a 95th percentile or better confidence level.
      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

*bows before Thalassa* Definately not a Science post appropriate thing here I'm afraid I have to agree

Comment

The thing about people being negative,it seems more a moral or spiritual concept. Life can be a burden that presses down with the weight of a thousand broken dreams,and we humans fall to the ground sometimes from the winds of change.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            The thing about people being negative, it seems more a moral or spiritual concept.
            ...which isn't science!

Life can be a burden that presses down with the weight of a thousand broken dreams, and we humans fall to the ground sometimes from the winds of change.
            And sometimes they don't.

This is sometimes classified as a trait called "grit". And there is a body of work devoted to trying to figure out what "grit" is, how one gets it (or not), and how it can be taught (or not).
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

I guess I have grit,but there have been times I was tempted to just let go,but what ever that grit is,it would not let me.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                Is there a science of why people are so negative and toxic? Because I've some theories of why people are so negative. 1. Negative people want to be so cool and popular. 2. They hang out with other negative people and they mimic the toxic behavior from negative people. 3. Negative people have a difficult and abusive childhood. Those are my theories.
                From previous experience in social work and life generally I'd say that all of those can be relevant. I suspect the main factor is being around other negative people, both in the formative years of childhood and later on with adult peers, when there is often a need to fit in. Also I have observed that both negativity and positivity are very "infectious" in group situations, that is partly why leadership roles are so pivotal.
                Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                Genesis lyric

Comment

Not sure reasons would be the science of it. I am negative when I want to be and positive when i want to be. People are free to walk away at any time. I have friend who tolerate both.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                    As thalassa said there not theories nor very testable. That said there are many sciences that answer these questions entirely or as aspects. Figure Sociology, Psychology, Biology to name three right off the top of my head.

Now I suppose you could make an argument as to why some people exhibit negative or destructive manifestations while other's born and living under the same social, cultural, ethnic, gender, economic influences do not. Then speculate as to how each influence impacts upon us as individuals, members of a group and try to use data sets to support your conclusions and position.

But I personally think you've first got to define "Negative" and "toxic" and how your definitions are being applied to your statements. Figure while each word has a dictionary definition it probably has many "Street" or "Slang" definitions that differ from group to group. Nor does that mean that the scientific definition and usage of a word will be the same as the common cultural usage of the same word.

Then again maybe none of what I said is any more scientific or supportable / arguable than what you've said even though it makes sense to me. Yep perhaps the pain pills are speaking right now more so than my logical mind.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

If you want a theory, you could always Google evolutionary game theory (on phone killing time, and a little drunk so not gonna do it for you). In particular, I take the hawk-dove game as my explanation for why some people are altruistic and others are selfish. Of course, we are humans so the fact that we're aware of our behaviour and how our actions are likely to affect others, means the model doesn't really fit, but I'm comforted by thinking of my fellow humans as mindless drones bumbling through life reacting to stimuli. It makes it easier to forgive, and live alongside my fellow naked apes.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                        If you want a theory, you could always Google evolutionary game theory (on phone killing time, and a little drunk so not gonna do it for you). In particular, I take the hawk-dove game as my explanation for why some people are altruistic and others are selfish. Of course, we are humans so the fact that we're aware of our behaviour and how our actions are likely to affect others, means the model doesn't really fit, but I'm comforted by thinking of my fellow humans as mindless drones bumbling through life reacting to stimuli. It makes it easier to forgive, and live alongside my fellow naked apes.
                        I believe people are inherently self-focused. Not that people are bad, but self-preservation and self-happiness are the most important thing in most people's lives. Some toxic or even "evil" actions can be completely out of thoughtfulness, or at least only the thought for what the person doing the act wants.
                        “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

For most people, their living standards are more important than living standards of others. It's evolutionary and programmed into us. We have no obligation to act differently, but we choose whether or not to be in a society where we give a little up so the worst don't have a terrible life, seeing the end of human misery as more important than raw natural selection, which has no interest in compensating for generational exploitation.

Some of us decide to cooperate, believing that it will increase our chances of success, whilst some see it as an unnecessary gamble which is just a form of charity and have no interest attending their time lifting someone else up if there's the possibly they will get dragged down, in their opinion.

We have, most of its I'm sure, been raised in a society which values egalitarianism and equal opportunity over turning a blind eye to personal enrichment at the expense of vulnerable people. As such, we often are horrified that someone doesn't wish to cooperate. That's fine, they don't have to cooperate, but for as long as they are a minority, they will have to accept at least the laws of the land or face judgement at the hands of the majority.
                          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                          But that day you know I left my money
                          And I thought of you only
                          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

...start by understanding the reasons for their negativity. In brief, almost all negativity has its roots in one of three deep-seated fears: the fear of being disrespected by others, the fear of not being loved by others, and the fear that “bad things” are going to happen. These fears feed off each other to fuel the belief that “the world is a dangerous place and people are generally mean.”
                            According to Dealing with Negative People in Psychology Today, negative people are created by fear.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think there is too much variation between human cultures and the ecosystems those cultures exist in to make any generalization of a human inclination towards self-centeredness and selfishness or cooperation and altruism.

Behavior is a function of environment (physical and emotional/relational) and genetics.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X