Is Superman A God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Superman A God?

I'm been discussing people in the chatroom about Superman godly abilities. If you ever read Superman Pre-Crisis comics book, it's show that Superman powers is beyond infinite. And in the Post-Crisis Superman comic book, Superman was killed by Doomsday and brought back to life after his death. Superman abilities is buffed about by every version that Superman was created. In conclusion Superman godly status is broken and overpower. What's your opinion of Superman godly status and abilities?

Re: Is Superman A God?

While I'm not against the idea of pop culture inspired worship, I don't see Superman as a god.
    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      I'm been discussing people in the chatroom about Superman godly abilities. If you ever read Superman Pre-Crisis comics book, it's show that Superman powers is beyond infinite. And in the Post-Crisis Superman comic book, Superman was killed by Doomsday and brought back to life after his death. Superman abilities is buffed about by every version that Superman was created. In conclusion Superman godly status is broken and overpower. What's your opinion of Superman godly status and abilities?
      Depends on your definition of god. That said, he has abilities on par (in some areas) with some DC comic gods IIRC. Does this make him broken and overpowered? No. He has insane abilities by design so that certain types of story can be told with him. Unless his abilities prevent DC comics from making decent stories around him then he is neither broken nor overpowered. Should his abilities ever prevent storytelling about him then expect those abilities to be brought down (briefly) to a more manageable level.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

No. Just one of the most boring heroes ever.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

He, and the rest of the Justice League, are considered gods in certain comic books and cartoons. They do have a lookout that floats above earth in a space ship, so yeah, he is a god by the standards of ancient alien theory. Not to mention the DC universe is full of time travel (especially with the Flash), Greek deities (Themyscira), and lots of extraterrestrial intelligence's. Most superheroes are considered gods in the comic books in one way or the other (Thor being an actual God in the Marvel universe).

Comment

puts his nerd glasses on

The question you should ask yourself is what makes Superman a god? Because he can fly? So can Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter. Because he is fast? So is The Flash. Because he is super powerful? So is Captain Marvel and Black Adam. Because he came back after being killed off in a comic? So does literally every single comic book character that has ever been killed in a comic! Perhaps not all of them, but that's almost a written rule. (Not going to give examples so I don't spoil stuff for readers).

Superman is just that, he's a super man. A human with some extra and/or maxed out abilities here and there. You have to remember that Superman is just a man from another planet. Those abilities didn't exist on his own planet. He derives his power from our yellow sun. Take that away and he could lose a fight against Lex Luthor. And even if you make the argument that the way he is on earth still makes him unique, what about Supergirl? Power Girl? They have the exact same set of powers, they also come from Krypton. Not that unique, huh?

Actually, I'm wrong. Superman is unique. He is indeed a super human. But not because of his super abilities. You see he's greatest power is his ability to give hope when all is lost. His ability to shine a light when everything is dark. He does something even Batman himself cannot do. He makes people aspire to be better, to do good instead of bad. He makes earth a better place to live in for all of us. He is what humanity can be at its best. He is Superman.

takes glasses off, hands them back to Clark Kent
            [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
              ... Superman is unique. He is indeed a super human. But not because of his super abilities. You see he's greatest power is his ability to give hope when all is lost. His ability to shine a light when everything is dark. He does something even Batman himself cannot do. He makes people aspire to be better, to do good instead of bad. He makes earth a better place to live in for all of us. He is what humanity can be at its best. He is Superman.
              That. Was. Beautiful! I almost teared up. Thank you for putting my faith back in Kal-El!

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                That. Was. Beautiful! I almost teared up. Thank you for putting my faith back in Kal-El!
                Ha, thanks!

Make Krypton great again
                [4:82]

Comment

Superman is just an alien. Wolverine has died and come back. Doesn't make him god.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                  X