Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

Thanks to John Oliver I'm now a bit paranoid about food waste. I've noticed JP and I waste a lot more than I imagined we did. It's often that I simply can't think of anything to do with the food item, especially if the recipe I'd bought it for is time consuming and I'm working back-to-back shifts.

Tonight I rescued a few remnants of peppers and mushrooms that weren't fit for salads, and made a nice quorn chili for me, and a prawn pasta bake for JP. I had to throw out some mixed salad leaves and a quarter bag of spinach that hadn't just gone rotten, it was turning to liquid (it was too late even to give to my mum's guinea pigs).

So that no more salad need die unnecessarily, I thought I'd start a thread where we can post what we have lying in the salad crisper, or in the back of our cupboards, that needs to be used up. So our more kitchen-savvy members might come up with ideas.

So my food items this time are;

Half a good sized beetroot (still in very good shape). I usually roast it, but I don't like all my other veg turning red, so I don't use much, meaning it often ends up in the bin.

Cos lettuce, starting to brown in places so probably too bitter for salad, but maybe there's something I can do?

Thanks in advance.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

Slice and boil the beet root, then you can freeze it, or put it in a jar with vinegar and eat it later, or put it on a sammi, or cut it up and put it in salad.

P.S. Save the beet boil water. When it cools, drink it - it's full of vitamins, and it will make you poop red the next day. A great party trick.

If you cut out the big central vein in the lettuce (romaine, to us in the US), the rest won't be bitter.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 04 Aug 2015 at 10:52.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

YOU NEED WORMS!!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    YOU NEED WORMS!!
    One can only hope that you are referring to earth worms, not intestinal parasites...

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Slice and boil the beet root, then you can freeze it, or put it in a jar with vinegar and eat it later, or put it on a sammi, or cut it up and put it in salad.

P.S. Save the beet boil water. When it cools, drink it - it's full of vitamins, and it will make you poop red the next day. A great party trick.

If you cut out the big central vein in the lettuce (romaine, to us in the US), the rest won't be bitter.
    Wow.. that's a really good tip about the beetroot water! I actually do something similar with rice water; I don't over rinse my rice, because apparently the stuff you wash off is actually full of vitamins, but the water I do rinse with, I keep to one side and wash my face with it. I'm a ginger so look better with pale skin, and they use rice water as a natural skin-whitener in East Asia.

I'll get that beetroot boiled up at once!

Also, great tip about the lettuce too. I assume that works for any lettuce, right? And finally I understand why I can rarely find romaine lettuce when a recipe calls for it!

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    YOU NEED WORMS!!
    I don't have much of a garden (just a few plants in pots), so composting was never much of an option for me. I never thought to just keep worms for the sake of it though. I even had a worm farm as a kid, so this could be a fun project. It might make up for my disappointment at not being able to find stick insects (I had them as a kid, so I know they're easy to breed, and yet can't find anyone who has them and could spare a few little eggs for me ).

Thanks for the awesome tips. Ill be sure to return next time something is on it's last legs!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

I'm going to offer up a few limes to this list of food needing a purpose.

This is actually an awesome idea for a thread. My live-in is freakishly wasteful (I think she buys things just for the sake of having them clutter up the house). Anyway, she buys food, uses about 1/10th of it and waits for the rest of it to rot into oblivion and thus require a fridge decontamination before she mentions that she has food in the fridge we can eat ourselves. And generally these things rarely constitute a dish in themselves with any of the recipes I've ever come across or used.

So yes, limes. About 3 of them.
    Also, this thing I can only assume is a turnip?

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Limes: squeeze out the juice, put it in a ziplock bag, and freeze it.

Turnip: boil, chop, and freeze. Defrost when you have other stuff together to make soup or stew. Or hollow it out and make a jack-o-lantern.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Ljubezen View Post

So yes, limes. About 3 of them.
    Also, this thing I can only assume is a turnip?

I cut up limes and freeze the wedges, then add them to ice water. Or to iced mint or green tea...or iced mint and green tea. Or beer.

As for turnips....I don't do those.

Also--I freeze spinach, kale, parsley, etc that is about to go bad (assuming I've not eaten it all up) and use it in smoothies (parley makes an awesome green smoothie), mashed potatoes (colcannon), or rice.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

Hmm thanks! ^^

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Rinse & dry a whole lemon. Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze. With a small cheese grater, grate some onto whatever you want it for, while still frozen, then put it back in the freezer, and you can do this repeatedly through the whole lemon, peel/fruit/seeds/it's all good. I'm single and this is perfect for me for when I cook a piece of fish, etc. I've been on the same lemon for a couple of months now.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.