Rest in peace, Bowie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rest in peace, Bowie

It's interesting how people feel about these things at different stages of life. When we're young, and someone older than us dies, we think it's sad, but they were "old", and that makes it somehow bearable. As we get older, we start to really see how the ferris wheel works, and realize we aren't on the top anymore, but rushing downward to the point where we ourselves will soon step off the ride as new people fill our seats. Our icons have been with us longer. When you can remember the world before the Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin, etc., it's different to watch them grow old and die than it is to lose someone who was already famous when you were born. It's more personal.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

David was someone that helped me to understand my feelings of not being a normal social person,and feeling alien in the greater social system.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Celebrity deaths is the most hardest thing to deal with. I heard Bowie died of cancer. I actually watch his music videos. All thanks to Family Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          I heard Bowie died of cancer.
          He did, though the type of cancer he had was not disclosed to the media. No one else's business, really.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Deaths of great Souls - not the great statesmen, but the all around great PEOPLE, Always remind me to look back on who changed the world to as it is today. I think David Bowie will be always be one of those I remember now, Along with Malcolm Frasier, Richard Dumbly, Terry Pratchett, Desmond Tutu and many others. These are people who have changed the world (Or tried thier DAMNEDEST to at least) for the better.

I believe that their lives were a fight and a struggle. A Fight and struggle to give others hope. or Joy, happiness or even just Dignity. I do believe in Valhalla and although their battlefields weren't on the physical that if they choose they would be allowed to find their rest there until they take up the mantle of life again.

I hope I see them all on their next turn on the wheel

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              ^ Bowie is a great name for a puppy though!

I only just learnt that his sister is in the Big Brother house. Or was. I'm going to hope they've taken her to one side and let her hear the news off camera.
              It was his former wife? That'll teach me to repeat things I hear in the corner shop. Although in my defence, who could blame me for not wanting to Google celebrity big brother..

I was really moved when I heard that he had made his last album as a parting gift to his fans. He knew he was dying, so I'm sure there'll be some powerful songs on there. I can't wait to hear, but I don't want to download it. I need to do it the old fashioned way and get a hard copy.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Check out the video "Lazarus" earlier in this thread to get a feel of his parting gift.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I liked that film "The man who fell to earth". I wasn't a big fan of his music though.
                  Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                  Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                  And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                  Genesis lyric

Comment

This is bringing up issues of my own mortality,he and I were born about a month apart.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Check out the video "Lazarus" earlier in this thread to get a feel of his parting gift.
                      I did, I did! Very moving in light of the fact he was still so talented and able to pour so much into his work, despite knowing he was losing the battle to cancer.

I don't mind hearing the songs, I just need to own the cd over a download for some reason. Come to think of it, I don't yet own a downloaded album. All the music on my pc was ripped from our cd collection.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I also prefer hard copies,you can touch them.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The 2 celebs I've long had crushes on are both older than me, one by quite a bit, and some of my favorite retired racehorses are quite elderly. I try to steel myself against the inevitable, but it doesn't work.
                          sigpic

Comment

I also prefer hard copies,you can touch them.
                            Same. I went through a phase for a while where I bought digital downloads, but I haven't purchased one in years. I just sort of feel like I don't really have it, and because I never have any storage on my devices, I almost never listen to digital downloads. It's all about hard copies or streaming. I mostly buy vinyl now, because I like having the big version of the cover art and there's something so physical about it. I occasionally buy CDs though. Otherwise, I listen to it on Spotify or Amazon Music. If I want to listen to music while I'm out and about, it's usually on Spotify anyway.

I bought Blackstar on vinyl when it came out, and I picked up The Next Day as well because it was only 14.99 (cheap for a new record). I had some leftover money from Christmas, so it was a late Christmas gift. And it was a lovely one at that.

Comment

Hang on to that vinyl,it wil most likely become a collectors item.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Hang on to that vinyl,it wil most likely become a collectors item.
                                I should have gotten my 45's appraised before I left NJ. No place around here does that. I'll never part with them, but it'd be fun to know if any are worth more than $5. I ordered Blackstar on cd but I plan to get the vinyl, too. Albums used to cost $3.99 LOL
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X