Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rest in peace, Bowie

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Hang on to that vinyl,it wil most likely become a collectors item.
    Oh, it's not going anywhere haha. I will most likely will my vinyl collection to my kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    I should have gotten my 45's appraised before I left NJ. No place around here does that. I'll never part with them, but it'd be fun to know if any are worth more than $5. I ordered Blackstar on cd but I plan to get the vinyl, too. Albums used to cost $3.99 LOL
    To be fair, $3.99 was worth a lot more back in the day than it is now! New records are still pretty expensive in comparison, but they don't make nearly as many as they used to. When I started getting records, used copies cost $5-7 Canadian (so probably like $3.50-$5 US), but they've gone up a LOT. I went to some of my favorite haunts when I was back in August, and the price of many albums I own has shot up to $35-50, even used! I'd imagine your 45s could have some value.

Comment

Vinyl for me would be wasted,at my age the ears miss a lot of the range. Perhaps that is way vinyl is popular with younger types. I grew up with records,even some 38's(my mom had Bing Crosby on them) And 45's were mainly rock and roll for us teens back then.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

To be honest, for me it's more about the physicality of records and the whole listening experienced involved. You can really hold a record, and you have to flip them over to listen to the other side, which kind of makes you listen more actively. I have a decent amp and speakers, but my setup isn't really stellar enough to bring out any major differences between vinyl and CDs. Between vinyl and mp3s/streaming, absolutely, but CDs can have pretty good sound quality too. I'm not really snobby about it, though. I like my records, but I don't see anything wrong with getting all of your music from the Internet. Bowie said he got all his music from the Internet

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

When I was a teenager, it was a big deal to get a new album - I'd play the whole thing while studying the cover art! A little side note: I notice that if I listen to a song I have not heard in 20+ years, as soon as it begins I remember every word. Music is such an underutilized learning tool.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
            When I was a teenager, it was a big deal to get a new album - I'd play the whole thing while studying the cover art!
            I miss that...

I'd save for weeks to buy it, then worship the album. I used to feel like music was magic. Now, it's just one more commodity.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              I miss that...

I'd save for weeks to buy it, then worship the album. I used to feel like music was magic. Now, it's just one more commodity.
              It's still like that for me. But then again, I buy records, which either involves a lot more money (when they're new) or a lot of hunting (when they're used). Maybe that's also why I love vinyl so much.

Comment

I started listening to his entire discography last night. Two of his songs combined gave me a new story idea. You continue to inspire, you beautiful man.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

One of my absolute favorite Bowie tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbYFOsl-LM

Comment

We danced our first dance at our wedding to 'as the world falls down'... watched labyrinth last night. I cried more than a bit. It's weird how it seems to affect everyone I know, he has meant a lot of things to a lot of people.
                    You remind me of the babe
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

It's affecting me a lot more than I thought it would. Not sure why, exactly.....I even dreamed about him - we were just talking about art and music like two old friends. Weird.
                      sigpic

Comment

Rest in Peace. Thank you for everything and making the world a better place with your presence.
                        -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

He was a big fan of Elvis Presley, and they had the same birthday. Elvis did a song in 1960 called Black Star, which was about death being a black star following everyone.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X