Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massage Therapy thread

Originally posted by Kiesha'ra View Post

Yoga is great for muscle and back and joints, I do yoga everyday and Hydro therapy a few times a month for the latent back issues from my spinal fracture in 2014. It does wonders. I also get Acupuncture every few months.
    I wish you could be one of my massage bodies! I need more practice.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Working it out!

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    I wish you could be one of my massage bodies! I need more practice.
    Massage bodies? You in physical therapy or just massage?

Comment

Massage bodies? You in physical therapy or just massage?
      Massage. I'm going to school to become an LMT (licensed massage therapist). It's so much fun! I'm going to a chiropractic college that has a massage program so I'm getting the sciency side of things rather than only the feel good Woo-woo stuff. Cadaver lab is amazing! But I now need bodies (live ones!) to practice on.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      Sneak Attack

Comment

Re: Working it out!

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
        Massage. I'm going to school to become an LMT (licensed massage therapist). It's so much fun! I'm going to a chiropractic college that has a massage program so I'm getting the sciency side of things rather than only the feel good Woo-woo stuff. Cadaver lab is amazing! But I now need bodies (live ones!) to practice on.
        Sounds fun actually! I get to do my internship this summer at Fermi for partical physics. I was suppose to go to Cern but my health issues have grounded me in the states. It's going to be amazing.

So for massage don't your hands get tired and develop carpel tunnel or anything like that?

Comment

Sounds fun actually! I get to do my internship this summer at Fermi for partical physics. I was suppose to go to Cern but my health issues have grounded me in the states. It's going to be amazing.

So for massage don't your hands get tired and develop carpel tunnel or anything like that?
          Not with proper body technique and posture. People who develop carpal tunnel or other injuries from perpetual motion aren't using correct posture and /or mechanics. For instance, "Helicopter thumbs" are a big no-no because you'd develop complications in your thumb joint within a short period of time.

Edit: I've split this off of the workout thread so we don't derail it. Plus we get our own space to chat about massage!
          Sneak Attack

Comment

Re: Massage Therapy thread

I have only had a massage once when I injured my back at work,it was work related so they sent me to therapy. I never could afford it on my own,and the massage was really soothing.
            I can understand why people get it done on a regular basis,it was soooooooo relaxing and therapeutic
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              I have only had a massage once when I injured my back at work,it was work related so they sent me to therapy. I never could afford it on my own,and the massage was really soothing.
              I can understand why people get it done on a regular basis,it was soooooooo relaxing and therapeutic
              I highly encourage you (and everyone else, for that matter) to seek Massage Therapy whenever possible. There are so many health benefits to getting regular (or even semi-regular) massages and I'm not even talking purely physiological benefits but Psychological benefits. More insurances are starting to cover them, so that's an avenue to look into, if cost is a concern. Cost usually is a concern for most people because when the General Public thinks about Massage, they think Spa's (or the ever dreaded Red Light District entertainment setting) which are typically very pricey. Spa massages, in my experience, seem to range from $65 for a 45-minute massage to $200+ for 90 minutes. Modality also plays a role in the cost. The more exotic, the more money it will cost.

However, you can find very affordable massages if you look outside of the previously mentioned settings. I get monthly 60 minute Deep Tissue massages at my Chiropractors office and I only pay $50. That's less than $1 a minute. $1/min seems to be a typical average for non-spa massages. My massages aren't covered by my insurance, unfortunately. But I hear Blue Cross Blue Shield is pretty good about it. I think Medicare is (or will be) covering it. (I don't know much about that yet. Haven't really done any Admin training on that. I don't think that's part of my schooling since every clinic/office does things differently and various depending on city/state/country requirements.)

Just to clarify, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Spa Massages. I have received several in the past and plan on doing so again in the future. There's a time and place... Pampering is certainly still a great form of relaxation and I would hate to see Spa Massages go away. But in my personal experience, I get just as much out of a clinical massage as a spa massage. Perhaps even a bit more because I have the same Massage Therapist for every one of my massages whereas when I go to a Spa, I'm likely to get a different person every time.
              Sneak Attack

Comment

I used to get massage therapy for my back injury but it was a waste of time. Driving to the appointment insured that my back was well abused by the time I got there and after the ride home negated the good work the therapist did. After discussing it with the therapist he agreed that it was a waste of time.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  I used to get massage therapy for my back injury but it was a waste of time. Driving to the appointment insured that my back was well abused by the time I got there and after the ride home negated the good work the therapist did. After discussing it with the therapist he agreed that it was a waste of time.
                  There are LMT's that travel to customers. Did your therapist give you a referral perhaps?
                  Sneak Attack

Comment

No referrals. It was probably too soon after the accident anyway. It was in the first year after the accident and the following year the pain therapist put me on Methadone for long term pain management. He and my doctor figured I would be on it for life. (a lot they know)
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                      No referrals. It was probably too soon after the accident anyway. It was in the first year after the accident and the following year the pain therapist put me on Methadone for long term pain management. He and my doctor figured I would be on it for life. (a lot they know)
                      Here, you can go straight to an LMT after an MVA (motor vehicle accident) though a smart LMT is likely going to refer the client/patient to see a physician or chiropractor asap to get fully checked out and assessed for injuries and possible contraindications. LMT's are not allowed to diagnose anything unless they have any additional licenses that make diagnosing part of their scope of practice, but then they'd be diagnosing as a doctor and not an LMT. Sounds like your LMT and physician worked together pretty closely. That's good.
                      Sneak Attack

Comment

Thai Yoga is my preferred method of giving massage (I am a massage therapist as of 2012). Passive yoga allows for the receiver to be manipulated into postures and get the most out of them because they don't have to use their muscles to hold themselves in the posture, they also use a lot of different techniques that help keep the body mechanics of the practitioner healthy and aligned.

LOVE IT
                        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                        X