Thread: Magical Oils

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Magical Oils

I've just started incorporating oil spells into my path, and I've had luck with what little I've done. I made some Black Cat Oil last month, and I'm letting it "cure" for a bit before I try it out. I've bought a few oils for specific entities, but I plan to start making my own. A lot of the Hoodoo oils you see in pagan stories, such as Follow Me Boy and Van Van, you can find recipes for online.

Have you used oils in your magical or spiritual practice? What was your experience with them?
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Re: Magical Oils

I have used oils in my spell work and rituals on and off for the last 13 years. I like essential oils and have a large variety of them. I do have one or two "premixed" ones for dreaming that I have also used. I think scent is a very important tool, and I like how the different scents can trigger a frame of mind, or bring out an emotion. These emotions and scene of mind can be brought back any time and place by those dedicated oils. Overall I am a fan. I don't feel I need them all the time but I do like them.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    I have used oils in my spell work and rituals on and off for the last 13 years. I like essential oils and have a large variety of them. I do have one or two "premixed" ones for dreaming that I have also used. I think scent is a very important tool, and I like how the different scents can trigger a frame of mind, or bring out an emotion. These emotions and scene of mind can be brought back any time and place by those dedicated oils. Overall I am a fan. I don't feel I need them all the time but I do like them.
    Where do you put the oil on yourself, if you do? I've found that anointing my forehead works best for me.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Forehead is one I like and then I also like my third eye but it depends on what kind of spell/ritual I am doing. I might put it somewhere else depending on the need.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I never did magical oils before. How does that work?

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I never did magical oils before. How does that work?
    There are a lot of different kinds of oils for different purposes, but it works much like a spell with herbs would. The oil is infused with magical properties, or a specific purpose, or (usually) both. I put the oil on me so that the properties of it can enter into me, and help me with whatever the oil is for. An example is that I have an oil blend that is for Apollo. I anoint myself with it so that He can be all the more with me when I'm working on creative tasks (usually writing).

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

I use essential oils a LOT in magick, and homemade blends of essential oils... but I've not used homemade infused oils before.

I started using them because I couldn't burn incense, and because I also use them for aromatherapy. From there it just turned into something that I automatically jump to as one of my first correspondences. I don't use much in the way of dried herbs either, and the essential oils sort of cover both things... incense and plants.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I use infused oils and salves that often have a magical component, but they are not magical oils. More like....cooking a meal with intention.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible