X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: African-Americans Are Boycotting The Oscars

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It would be good to add diversity at the Oscars every now and then.
    But BMH is it about diversity or about quotas? If diversity then it holds to reason that a diverse field may not include each ethnicity but the genre of films actually being considered and voted upon. If it's about quotas based upon ethnicity then diversity is probably not going to be present as it tends to rule out diverse competition in favor of quotas. So should a more challenging film be omitted because it prevents certain categories from being present? Should the more diverse film be omitted with challenging riles and scripts to favor projects focused upon some ethnicity?

Consider the movie American Snipe about Chris Kyle for a moment. There are a lot of people upset at how it was treated given the influence and presence it had. Yet people are not boycotting the Oscar's or other awards programs because it wasn't received well for awards.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Will Smith is mad he didn't get nominated in the movie Concussion (he should have. It's an excellent performance).
      His wifee got mad
      Now her friends got mad and said it's racism.
      Now bandwagon people are mad and said it's racism.
      And there you go.
      Boycott.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Recently, Jennifer Lawrence was quite outspoken about how women in movies are paid less than men. Did anyone boycott, or in any other way cause a big ruckus?
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Consider the movie American Snipe about Chris Kyle for a moment. There are a lot of people upset at how it was treated given the influence and presence it had. Yet people are not boycotting the Oscar's or other awards programs because it wasn't received well for awards.
          Except bearded white men aren't generally discriminated against and it was a subpar movie?

Comment

I think the real reason why the Oscars didn't include African-Americans because there weren't so many African-American actors and actresses to choose by. And Al Sharpton is joining the boycott too. This idiot is corrupted.

- - - Updated - - -

MonSno In my opinion I believe it's both. If the Oscar would have include African-Americans to be nominated, this wouldn't be an issue. But rest assure that people at the Oscar have given thought and a good explaination about the whole situation.

Comment

Thing is,it is Hollywood,can you really expect a bunch of actors to have the ability to choose,now the peoples choice awards are different.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Like I said before this is another temper tantrum just to change the world.

Comment

The problem really isn't the Oscars. Blacks have actually won more than their share of Oscars compared to their percentage of the population. However, the only other minority group that is represented is Latinos. An Asian American has never won an Oscar. The Latinos are vastly underrepresented. Whites make up well over 80% of the Oscar wins.

However, this has more to do than Hollywood whitewashing a lot of roles and movies. The problem is not the Oscars but Hollywood in general. It is interesting to see that whenever a minority group tries to get an equal share of something they are quickly lambasted, though.

Comment

Imagine now, if every nomination had gone to an Afro-American. I reckon we would be hearing quite a lot of protest then.

The biggest problem is why anyone believes that awards such as the Oscars are going to be inherently fair. They're not. I thought this was an interesting view: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ge...rs-1201682504/
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Popular and good are not the same thing when it comes to movie. That movie was absolutely terrible.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        The problem really isn't the Oscars. Blacks have actually won more than their share of Oscars compared to their percentage of the population. However, the only other minority group that is represented is Latinos. An Asian American has never won an Oscar. The Latinos are vastly underrepresented. Whites make up well over 80% of the Oscar wins.

However, this has more to do than Hollywood whitewashing a lot of roles and movies. The problem is not the Oscars but Hollywood in general. It is interesting to see that whenever a minority group tries to get an equal share of something they are quickly lambasted, though.
                        If the Latinos and Asian-Americans never received an Oscar then they should be the ones to boycott, not the blacks.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Popular and good are not the same thing when it comes to movie. That movie was absolutely terrible.
                          I don't disagree. Didn't think it was that great of a movie myself and it's success was do to hype more than actual script and content. However, I think that is part of the issue, one person thinks it worthy of praise and recognition while another does not. The one who does not is then put on the defensive because they chose something else. Here we have an issue of black actors / directors / producers think they should have been honored or nominated though whomever did the nominating doesn't think so.

Because they were not chosen or nominated it has to be racial no other option can be considered.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

This whole protest is so stupid and pointless. Not every race and minority will get pick by the Oscars. They should really stop whining and get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                              This whole protest is so stupid and pointless. Not every race and minority will get pick by the Oscars. They should really stop whining and get over it.
                              You have a tendency to say the same thing over and over.

Comment

The African-Americans Hollywood stars have their fair share of the Oscars already. So I don't see the point of protesting against the Oscars for lack of multi-cultural reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X