This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: African-Americans Are Boycotting The Oscars

I think Oscars might be a minor thing,many black Soldiers from WW2 and following wars were denied medals they deserved and only in the last few years were they honored,mainly after they died.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Oh I'm sorry if I repeated the same thing over and over. I'll stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        The African-Americans Hollywood stars have their fair share of the Oscars already. So I don't see the point of protesting against the Oscars for lack of multi-cultural reasons.
        WHAT???!!!
        What is a fair share exactly? And who decides what this is? And how?

Personally I believe everyone should boycott the Oscars on the grounds of their (often) abysmal judgement.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          It would be good to add diversity at the Oscars every now and then.
          However, adding diversity just for the sake of diversity would do non-white actors a disservice by telling them "hey you only made it here because we have a quota to fill and not on your ability."

- - - Updated - - -

So how many non-black actors are nominated for the BET awards?

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post

However, adding diversity just for the sake of diversity would do non-white actors a disservice by telling them "hey you only made it here because we have a quota to fill and not on your ability."
            Or maybe the problem is that white people are held to a standard of not needing to be that great to be considered better than anyone that isn't white.

So how many non-black actors are nominated for the BET awards?
            Apples and zebras.

The BET awards don't claim to be representative of overall cinematic excellence, but of excellence in the area of Black entertainment. The BET awards exist because the Oscars aren't diverse.

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            I think that is part of the issue, one person thinks it worthy of praise and recognition while another does not. The one who does not is then put on the defensive because they chose something else. Here we have an issue of black actors / directors / producers think they should have been honored or nominated though whomever did the nominating doesn't think so.
            The problem is that white people think racism is over because they have a brown friend or two.

The Oscars aren't being boycotted because a couple of Black entertainers are having a case of sour grapes, the Oscars are being boycotted because they are a highly visible symbol of a history of racism that is still a problem today. If you don't look at it in the wider historical context or the wider context of the entire industry, then all you see is "oh, no African Americans were nominated this year". This isn't a statistical anomaly, this is a very deep and long running trend.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Will Smith really ought to get an award for something, some time. He is outstanding in every movie he is in.

Hopefully, Morgan Freedman will, sooner or later, get a lifelong achievement award.

Truly, I think the Oscars suck. Robert Redford gets awards for being as boring as staples and lined paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              The Oscars aren't being boycotted because a couple of Black entertainers are having a case of sour grapes, the Oscars are being boycotted because they are a highly visible symbol of a history of racism that is still a problem today. If you don't look at it in the wider historical context or the wider context of the entire industry, then all you see is "oh, no African Americans were nominated this year". This isn't a statistical anomaly, this is a very deep and long running trend.
              Question, Thalassa...

Is it a skin color issue, or a genra issue?

The Oscars tend to go to the "yes, it's castor oil, but it's good for you" movies, rather than the " this rocks my socks off" movies.

In the past, authors like Shakespeare understood - if you can't tell a good story, you can't do anything else. Now-a-days, an audience is expected to suffer through shit because it's good for ya'.

IMHO - if art doesn't rock your world, it is just pretentions BS.

I don't think the Oscars get this simple truth. First, it must be good. Then, you can affect the perceptions of the audience...
              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 22 Jan 2016, 15:36.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Question, Thalassa...

Is it a skin color issue, or a genra issue?

Yes.

/10 char

(its not just people of color, its also women...if it weren't for the fact that two categories are only for women, it would only look slightly less bleak in that arena)
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Alas, Armistad... Yes, the white guy telling the black black guy's story, in legal form. It makes me weep...

Tell me a story, make me care. Then, tell me what I need to understand.

That is art.

Not "suck this down because I say you should."

That is propaganda...

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could be certain that the problem is always what the described problem
                  is being the problem as described by those who have a vested in describinging the problem.

I suspect that there are times when a problem has to be described without reference to outer descriptions...
                  Last edited by B. de Corbin; 22 Jan 2016, 17:29.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well, I think the whole Oscars/Academy awards etc is a load of crap which matters only to a very few people and is fairly inconsequential. If a white person never won another movie award I would give not a winged act of fornication.

Why does it matter? You're basically needing to be recognized by the very same group of back-patting people who excluded you in the first place. It's like trying to gain validation in life from those high school bullies. Frankly I couldn't care less about those who mistreated me in school, they could be dead or road sweepers for all I care. Would I want an award for any success from them? No, so why seek validation from Hollywood?
                    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                    But that day you know I left my money
                    And I thought of you only
                    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                      No, so why seek validation from Hollywood?
                      Because most people like to be appreciated for their work by their peers.

Hollywood happens to be their peers, and not yours...so it makes sense that you wouldn't care.
                      sigpic

Comment

The very people who keep them from getting awards? Some friends they are.
                        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                        But that day you know I left my money
                        And I thought of you only
                        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                          The very people who keep them from getting awards? Some friends they are.
                          One's professional peers aren't necessarily one's friends :/

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a professional organization (with country club style membership selection) that is more than just actors and actresses--it includes movie finance people, technical people, etc too (how to become a member). As Hollywood, in general, becomes more diverse, the Academy will become more diverse too...but that takes time and people realizing that there is still a problem.

sigpic

Comment

Personally I think movie stars - Like sportspeople - Are way over re-presented in the awards and financial benefits they get. Now that a sportsperson can get more in a YEAR than scientist working on a cure for anything can get in a LIFETIME - and the fame given to scientist when they achieve their goal is a pat on the back compared to women swooning ect, over male "Fame" and men going crazy over women "fame". Think about the benefits if we could at least BALANCE the lifetime earning of even the top scientists to that of the top athletes and movie stars? I'm not saying they don't have thier place or value - but seriously guys Science is as valuable or more so (personally not sure which - Scientific vs Cultural advancement? without one the other is useless or dangerous.) Also - Why aren't the Nobel prizes televised? Sure it's in the news but the Oscars get both! Isn't that a sliding of cultural advancement by failing to recognize the people who may have changed the world forever, not just the next few hundred years ( I'd say at best, but then I think of Homer and the Illiad and Oddesy)

Comment

"Or maybe the problem is that white people are held to a standard of not needing to be that great to be considered better than anyone that isn't white."

So you really believe it is a racist conspiracy? Hollywood is a bastion of progressive liberalism which is supposedly quite contrary to the idea of racism. I would think that they would be far less racist. Perhaps what is being missed is that maybe, just maybe the actors/actresses who were nominated outplayed those who did not?

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
                                "Or maybe the problem is that white people are held to a standard of not needing to be that great to be considered better than anyone that isn't white."

So you really believe it is a racist conspiracy?
                                Who said anything about a racist conspiracy? There doesn't have to be a conspiracy for this to happen. It's a problem of human psychology and institutional failure.

Personally I think movie stars - Like sportspeople - Are way over re-presented in the awards and financial benefits they get. Now that a sportsperson can get more in a YEAR than scientist working on a cure for anything can get in a LIFETIME - and the fame given to scientist when they achieve their goal is a pat on the back compared to women swooning ect, over male "Fame" and men going crazy over women "fame". Think about the benefits if we could at least BALANCE the lifetime earning of even the top scientists to that of the top athletes and movie stars? I'm not saying they don't have thier place or value - but seriously guys Science is as valuable or more so (personally not sure which - Scientific vs Cultural advancement? without one the other is useless or dangerous.) Also - Why aren't the Nobel prizes televised? Sure it's in the news but the Oscars get both! Isn't that a sliding of cultural advancement by failing to recognize the people who may have changed the world forever, not just the next few hundred years ( I'd say at best, but then I think of Homer and the Illiad and Oddesy)
                                While I don't necessarily disagree about the payment issue, it's not really the issue being discussed here. And, the issue being discussed here is one that exists in the scientific community (some fields more so than others) with regard to both race and gender.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X