This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: African-Americans Are Boycotting The Oscars

The problem I have with liberals on this issue is that they put more time and energy into injustice in Hollywood than they do into the institutional racism that is a symptom of gentrification, economic inequality, and the overpolicing of low income neighborhoods. Does not get near as many mentions as the Oscars.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
      The problem I have with liberals on this issue is that they put more time and energy into injustice in Hollywood than they do into the institutional racism that is a symptom of gentrification, economic inequality, and the overpolicing of low income neighborhoods. Does not get near as many mentions as the Oscars.
      I'm a liberal, and I see other liberals put just as much time and energy into everything you'd mentioned, if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
        I'm a liberal, and I see other liberals put just as much time and energy into everything you'd mentioned, if not more.
        Really? Because I can bet you that if you went and asked a group of liberals about these two issues they would be able to tell yo more about the Oscars than the history of racial gentrification in the United States. And that's because people are intellectually lazy. They'll tweet a hashtag but they won't actually take the time to understand the more complex issues. Say you what you want but the liberals in this country are weak and lazy. That's why the Conservatism is more popular than ever.

Comment

The big reasons these awards are indeed important to the actors is about money. Actors make more when they are 'Oscar winners' or just 'Oscar nominated'. So yeah. It's important when you are messing with people's money. You get more job offers and you make more money. I get it. I ain't gonna get mad at them for wanting the same opportunities as every other actor.

That's why the Conservatism is more popular than ever.
          It's popular because it's usually code for being a bigot for most. Let's not lie. It's like yeah, I can finally put on my woman hating, religious bashing (other then my particular white denomination of Christianity) gun toting, immigrant fearing idiot boots on and get away with it and call it 'Conservative'. It's like we just gave the KKK their own state and they just all ran around with smiling faces because no one was gonna tell them it's wrong to be like that.

in my opinion, of course.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

"It's popular because it's usually code for being a bigot for most. Let's not lie. It's like yeah, I can finally put on my woman hating, religious bashing (other then my particular white denomination of Christianity) gun toting, immigrant fearing idiot boots on and get away with it and call it 'Conservative'. It's like we just gave the KKK their own state and they just all ran around with smiling faces because no one was gonna tell them it's wrong to be like that.

in my opinion, of course."

Yes in your opinion. What you are doing is falling into the trap of painting all conservatives with the same broad brush that all muslims are painted with. You see a few very loud mouths who talk out of both sides of their mouths and think that this is how conservatives are. Just like we cannot paint all liberals as anti-constitutionalists that want to take all of our rights away, you cannot paint all conservatives as bigots, mysoginistic zenophobes. There are many conservatives who are very vocal in the human rights movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
              "It's popular because it's usually code for being a bigot for most. Let's not lie. It's like yeah, I can finally put on my woman hating, religious bashing (other then my particular white denomination of Christianity) gun toting, immigrant fearing idiot boots on and get away with it and call it 'Conservative'. It's like we just gave the KKK their own state and they just all ran around with smiling faces because no one was gonna tell them it's wrong to be like that.

in my opinion, of course."

Yes in your opinion. What you are doing is falling into the trap of painting all conservatives with the same broad brush that all muslims are painted with. You see a few very loud mouths who talk out of both sides of their mouths and think that this is how conservatives are. Just like we cannot paint all liberals as anti-constitutionalists that want to take all of our rights away, you cannot paint all conservatives as bigots, mysoginistic zenophobes. There are many conservatives who are very vocal in the human rights movement.
              Actually you know what? You are absolutely right. I should have stated the loud majority of the conservative stuff I read comes across like this. I'm sure there are many conservatives who are normal non kkk people.

But let me ask you this? And I ask because I honestly don't know the answer. How can a woman be a Republican Conservative and still have womens rights as an important issue to her?

Comment

Not sure Duce,but makes as much sense as gay republicans I guess(Log cabin thing)
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  Actually you know what? You are absolutely right. I should have stated the loud majority of the conservative stuff I read comes across like this. I'm sure there are many conservatives who are normal non kkk people.

But let me ask you this? And I ask because I honestly don't know the answer. How can a woman be a Republican Conservative and still have womens rights as an important issue to her?
                  Nah, your opinion pretty much meshes with my experience.

90% of the people I work with now are Conservatives...2/3s of them sound like Trump. Even my husband, who considered himself a Republican until about 5-7 years ago (when he stopped having hope that they would ever give up the crazy Tea), won't talk about politics with them unless he has to. IRL, they seem like nice people...and then they open their mouth to talk about politics, and the bigot (it's because black people just aren't as good, and they are whiny), anti-science (climate change is a conspiracy, let's teach creationism in biology class), poor people are lazy and don't want to work, immigrants are all criminals and should be deported, woe the federal government and its burdensome regulations, free corporations from tax slavery so that we can all get jobs because rich people will fix everything, etc propaganda comes out.

Thankfully I have my own office and I am rarely in it...the main office (which I don't work out of) has people that are either closet socially liberal independents, actually open minded people that use data for decision making (because that is what we do IRL), professional enough not to talk about politics or religion at work.

I have yet to meet this mythical small government fiscal conservative that actually understands things like racism and sexism and science, if they ever existed, they stopped calling themselves conservatives about 5-10 years ago (my previous boss was one of them).....even the "independents" here are wacko conservatives that drank the Kool-Aid..
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I am a conservative when it comes to individual freedoms and rights. In those areas I sometimes make the John Birch Society look like liberals. I firmly believe that individuals all have the same rights and responsibilities and are free to be what they like as long as the same applies to me. I do not see how that would make someone a bigot.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

"But let me ask you this? And I ask because I honestly don't know the answer. How can a woman be a Republican Conservative and still have womens rights as an important issue to her?"

What does that have to do with anything? There is a lot regarding women's rights not just what the left tells. The left are claiming a war on women which is not true. Conservatives want women to reach their full potential not be locked into some one size fits all model of behavior the left want them in.

Comment

"But let me ask you this? And I ask because I honestly don't know the answer. How can a woman be a Republican Conservative and still have womens rights as an important issue to her?"

What does that have to do with anything? There is a lot regarding women's rights not just what the left tells. The left are claiming a war on women which is not true. Conservatives want women to reach their full potential not be locked into some one size fits all model of behavior the left want them in.
                        Yes, because the push for defunding Planned Parenthood and the lack of a Conservative push to fix the gender pay gap helps women reach their full potential.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                          I firmly believe that individuals all have the same rights and responsibilities and are free to be what they like as long as the same applies to me.
                          Good for you. Unfortunately:

1) not everyone is actually afforded the same access to the rights as others
                          2) not everyone is actually capable of accepting the same responsibilities or the same level of responsibility
                          3) one's capacity for responsibility is not always (nor should it be) corollary to what rights they should be able to access

Now, most people realize this, but will differ in degree of what they perceive rights are accessible, who is responsible for how much, and which responsibilities actually have anything to do with which rights. Most people also realize that quite often what sounds good for their neighbor, usually sucks if they live downstream or upwind.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

It was what I was curious about. You seemed to have some conservative views/opinions, so I wanted to pick your brain.

How can a woman want another woman to reach her full potential but won't let her have control over her uterus? It's a pretty clear question. I don't want to get into right and wrong here. It will just kill this thread. I just want to know how a conservative woman can justify telling another woman what she can or cannot do with her body. It bothers the hell out of me.

Comment

I think(I do from time to time) the control of women's reproductive rights goes back to the basic Christian thing. The argument that a woman is NOT a complete human being. I read something where they argued that a woman has no sperm,and therefore does not create life. I know that sounds strange,but it was from a religious thing explaining why women can not be ministers or priests. It stems from the woman was made from part of Adam,and therefore is not fully human. These things stick with people when they learn them as a child.
                              I have heard women argue against their best interest,because of the early indoctrination. Things change,but at times very slowly.

I was thinking about Stockholm syndrome,and in many ways,you growing up with your parents views is kinda the same thing.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

" There is a lot regarding women's rights not just what the left tells. The left are claiming a war on women which is not true. Conservatives want women to reach their full potential not be locked into some one size fits all model of behavior the left want them in.
                                I'd like to know where you get the idea that there is not a war on women?? Maybe could it possibly be because you as a male don't have to deal the issues that we do so you can't fully understand them(however I feel that plenty of guys on here see it)? As Duce pointed out how about our reproductive rights. Did you know we can't have our tubes tied until we have had children? Infact if you are under 21 they wont do it at all, older women are required to wait 30 days before it can be preformed. Then lets not even discuss the fact that this country does not provide maternity leave and businesses are not required to give a women back her job when she comes back. How about the equal pay part. So again please tell me where you get the idea that there is no war on women........... and if we would like to tie this back into african americans and racism it is even more difficult for a black female to get a job and pay rate of a male doing the same job, same hours.

I also find it ridiculous that there are quotas for businesses for number of black people/ black female to white employees.
                                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                                X