This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knitting

I do knitting too, but not anything big. Just woolen stockings, mittens, beanies and such. I'm too impatient to do anything which isn't ready in one or two evenings, 'coz I get bored with the pattern/color etc. :P But knitting at the lectures is fun.

Comment

i began knitting a scarf last winter and never finished it... i guess its not my thing :P
      sigpic

Comment

Re: Sewing

that skirt is beautiful! awesome job Maythe
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=LiadanWillows link=topic=177.msg2379#msg2379 date=1287023563]
          that skirt is beautiful! awesome job Maythe
          [/quote]You should see the inside - seams are fraying like billy-o. Lol. I think I have enough of the fabric left to make another one, and do it properly this time, should it ever fall apart. I think I'll stick to wearing it at friends parties where no-one will object if it suddenly falls off!
          You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

your friends must be very nice.. then again im pretty sure no one wants to see me bottomless haha!!
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg2453#msg2453 date=1287036938]
              You should see the inside - seams are fraying like billy-o. Lol. I think I have enough of the fabric left to make another one, and do it properly this time, should it ever fall apart. I think I'll stick to wearing it at friends parties where no-one will object if it suddenly falls off!
              [/quote]

That fabric does fray a lot (I like to use it lots, and also use it as linings).....you just have to make sure that you zig zag the edges, or leave a TON of seam allowance.

Comment

You could also do a french seam or flat fell seam (even though flat fell seams are conventionally used on jeans, I use them in most of our reenacting clothing and on ALL of the kids clothes, just for the strength factor).
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=177.msg2498#msg2498 date=1287055905]
                  You could also do a french seam or flat fell seam (even though flat fell seams are conventionally used on jeans, I use them in most of our reenacting clothing and on ALL of the kids clothes, just for the strength factor).
                  [/quote]

Oh yes, I second this! I use French seams lots when I use silk, because the silk satin I like to use frays quite a bit, and also it has a beautiful "finished" look to it.

Comment

Yup! I totally love the look...actually, I really like the look of flat felled seaming too--and you can use it decoratively (and it *is* really sturdy)
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm going to share something....please don't laugh too hard, though! I'm a total beginner. I took this stripped shirt, and added a skirt to make a dress:

Horizontal stripes are not the most attractive, but it turned out cute enough...I got it done just in time to wear to the LDS Women's Conference with my MIL and SIL : Planning on cutting the sleeves short and turning them into arm-warmers when I have time, as well as tweaking the neckline in some way.

And yes...that is my MIL's house.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

HEY!

Thats a good beginner effort!

And don't forget to save the kiddo's pants that they outgrow...you can make leg warmers from the legs, the top part of skirts from the tops, apron shirts and dresses from the legs and from the bottom halves of shirts and all sorts of stuff.
                        sigpic

Comment

Very funky Deseret

On the subect of seams - I zig zagged. I like binding seams but was in too much of a hurry with this skirt. The first time I wore it I went up the stairs at a party and as I got to the top noticed MrK, Si and Rick at the bottom all grinning up at me. Very flattering! Both the skirt and the attention. :-[

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=207.msg2246#msg2246 date=1287002453]
                            I do knitting too, but not anything big. Just woolen stockings, mittens, beanies and such. I'm too impatient to do anything which isn't ready in one or two evenings, 'coz I get bored with the pattern/color etc. :P But knitting at the lectures is fun.
                            [/quote]That's where chunky yarn comes in. ;D

The tank top I'm knitting is in DK and stockinette st and I'm soooo bored with it. It's good car journey knitting though.

Comment

I always have a few things in my knitting bag, but prefer the winter months for knitting anything big.
                              Right now there is a scarf I started last spring and a prayer shall.
                              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

<---crochets

I do have a ravelry...its piratessa
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X