Predictions for (English) Language Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predictions for (English) Language Evolution

So...I'm pretty sure we all know that language evolves over time in meaning, use, words, even sounds. If not, googling can tell you all about it. Due to the persistent use of technology and the pervasiveness of media, we are in the middle of a pretty big shift of language right now.

What are your predictions?

For example, I totally think we will one day have an past tense verb contraction of "use'to" (maybe not spelled that way), instead of "used to".

Also, prossably will prossably become an actual word.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Predictions for (English) Language Evolution

There is Usta(have heard people pronounce that)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Reading "prossably" defies physics to hurt my ears so I really hope that prediction falls flat.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well,reading OLD english and also hearing it can make you ill. So,ya never know.

Go thee here

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          There is Usta(have heard people pronounce that)
          This made me laugh so hard my stomach hurts. When we moved to NJ, I was in 6th grade. The first day, a girl turned around and loudly whispered to me "What school did ya usta go ta?" I remember her name, her face, her undeniably Joisey accent, and how I reenacted it to my parents later.

Some of these words and phrases will stick around, but even the online ones go through phases of use. We "usta" say "groovy" and "far out", and now you rarely hear those except in parody. It's hard to say what will last.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Also whatcha doooon out there?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Some things stick, some (thankfully) disappear. But you can be sure language changes. One of my professors made us read a loooong rant from some expert on language, complaining about how youth was corrupting the language. Our professor then almost screamed at us 'never be like this guy!'. Language changes. I personally think that, in time, english will start adopting words/terms/grammar from other languages, maybe chinese or arabic, seeing that there are mone non-native spealers of English in the world than there are native... it seems inevitable that something should rub off just a bit... maybe?
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Actually already happened...lot of Yiddish terms crept into English..some Spanish also...little French...think about it.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Actually already happened...lot of Yiddish terms crept into English..some Spanish also...little French...think about it.
                  Well, I'm just that good at predicting stuff that's already happened but I do find it very interesting.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Realize that those are all collapsing of phrases. It's happened since Anglo-Saxon (Old English). That's why we have minimal nominal inflections. "They" and "their" are becoming accepted gender neutral pronouns because English lost its cases.

The subjunctive is all but gone: "What do you want that I do?", and "I want that you go to the store" replaced by an infinitive ("I want you to go"). I see a lot more collapsing of verbal and noun phrases. I already hear "ahm gonna" for "I'm going to".

I see English becoming a pro-drop language, like most Indo-European languages. It's even dropping verbs... "going to the movies?" in speaking to one or several people is perfectly intelligible. In a word, languages tend towards simplicity. I see English going that route even further than it has.

Btw, "ain't" is actually a valid verb: a contraction of "am not"... "amn't". "Aks" is also the historically correct form of ask. The verb was "aksen". It was "aks" that was changed to "ask" in certain English dialects.
                    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Least we forget Ebonics,I wonder where that went to..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Least we forget Ebonics,I wonder where that went to..
                        Yo!

Dat be ENGLISH now!

- - - Updated - - -

I want "funner" added to the lexicon of standard English. It strikes me as absurd that I'm not allowed to say it...
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ebonics is an abomination, but AAVE, African-American Vernacular English is valid. It actually does have "rules of grammar" (a term I hate because of its prescriptive rather than descriptive nature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...acular_English Should it be used when giving a lecture or presentation if the audience is not of that dialect? Absolutely not, any more than Ozarks English should be used in those settings. You speak the dialect of your audience. Notice how newscasters all over the US use a neutral accent. You really can't tell where they are from.
                          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                            Ebonics is an abomination, but AAVE, African-American Vernacular English is valid. It actually does have "rules of grammar" (a term I hate because of its prescriptive rather than descriptive nature.
                            Uhmmm... not to burst your bladder, but "Ebonics" is the common term for the specialized linguistic term "African-American Vernacular English." In other words, dey be de same thing...

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There seems to be a infantilization of English going on at the moment. I feel like everyone on Facebook is using baby talk. I don't think it's going away. A few years ago, it was "cray cray" for crazy. Now it's turning "adult" into a verb and dropping the "of" in "because of." I predict that in a few years, people will be talking like children.

Comment

Working...
                              X