Maternity Leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maternity Leave

In Germany it's a kind of social security. The employer doesn't pay it.

Comment

Lol here comes DragonsFriend to give us the daily reminder that people should be shit on as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
        If you think about it why should the employer pay you for not coming to work? At that point you aren't supporting the business.
        HR costs.

AKA turnover.

Why should a company expect dedicated, hardworking employees if they aren't adequately compensating them?

Although, in the interests of maintaining population size and the general health and welfare of its population and to promote economically security (as well as economically secure families choosing to procreate more), it would make far more sense to make that at least partially compensable by the government.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Procreation is the reason Germany does it. We have one of the lowest birth rates in the world, even considering our generous benefits for family (which include a payment of 190 Euros per month per child, parental leave for couples, tax-funded university, ie no need to save tuition fees for your kids). Those benefits have definitely helped, though. They've also helped women in the workplace, and with a dropping population, we can't lose such a large part of our workforce.

To me, it makes sense to have parental leave covered by the state in most developed countries. However, I do think that in countries that don't have state-based benefits, it makes sense for employers to cover it. Constantly hiring new staff can be a big expense too, and a secure workplace is a huge motivational factor.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
            People in the USA have the family leave act. That gives you six months to a full year off. Pay is at the discretion of the employer but your job will be there when you get back.
            If you think about it why should the employer pay you for not coming to work? At that point you aren't supporting the business.
            You only get 12 weeks of leave with FMLA. Not six months to a year. People who have intermittent FMLA may only use a few days here and there (ex. people with migraines who miss somewhat regularly for that reason) and have enough to get them through a year, but if you work 5 days a week, you only get 60 days to use.

If a business is big enough to support benefits for employees, in my opinion they should help provide for leave for mothers. Part of that could be short term disability insurance, which does typically cover about 60% of wages lost while off work. And around here, it typically covers maternity leave as well. It could also come in the form of simple paid leave. I get 23 days a year paid off, just for being an employee where I work. It wouldn't be that much of a strain for my employer to provide and extra 30-60 days a time or two in my life if it meant keeping me as an employee for 20-30 years. (And American birth rates were around 1.5 last I heard)
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

We just had a gal come back from her fmla. She was gone the 6 weeks and then also used up her pto. She wanted to be back sooner because she needed the money.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
              X