Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Purity Ball

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    was there a moratorium put on the creation of religious rituals at some time in the past, and I missed the memo?

Not at all I was just pointing that purity ball wasn't created just because parents were concerned about their daughters getting pregnant.

Comment

No - it was created based on the particular beliefs of a particular sect based on their particular religious traditions.

I don't agree with those beliefs. To me, "virgin" just means "clumsy beginner."

But then I gotta live with that... I don't agree with most religious beliefs. They mostly seem - to me - equally goofy.

If we're gonna get snarky with Christians for having outmoded, irrational, and silly beliefs, we might just as well launch snark at, maybe, 90% of pagans as well.
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 31 Jan 2016, 14:58.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thing is the whole history of marriage thing has to do with LEGAL setting of inheritance. I have read that in the WAY back,you just moved in together,and wham-bam you was hitched.

Also,love had little to do with it,as parents set you up with a rich guy,so both families more powerful because of combining land.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

But then I gotta live with that... I don't agree with most religious beliefs. They mostly seem - to me - equally goofy.
          Goofy is one thing...these are (IMO) damaging to many of these girls in the long run.

...let me just say that (again, IMO) a self-actualized person doesn't consider pre-marital relationships as making them a lesser person for their future husband.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Goofy is one thing...these are (IMO) damaging to many of these girls in the long run.

...let me just say that (again, IMO) a self-actualized person doesn't consider pre-marital relationships as making them a lesser person for their future husband.
            I can agree with that. I find much harm perpetrated in much religion.

However, trying to avoid being accused of being an evil atheist, I didn't say it.

Now that the cat's outta the bag, though...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Most likely why you became a knight that says NI

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Purity balls are so far out of my experience within Pentecostal churches and within my own family, I find it hard to relate to them, but I'm not offended or revolted by them. They must be an American thing. In my churches, abstinence was discussed with teenagers and young adults but boys and girls both were given equal responsibility for this. I'm really curious as to what these dads think their role is when it comes to their children's sexuality. Me not having a dad, I have no clue on that aspect of the relationship. It's not something I'd ever ask someone.
                Originally posted by thalassa View Post

That depends on so much, but I do agree. The main concern my husband and I discussed very briefly was that the other would be accepting of our respective histories. This isn't because of any guilt we felt, but because of the teaching we each received from our churches. We were genuinely concerned that a might be a big deal to the other.

Within our churches, we are taught that sexual experiences are a way to enhance love within a marriage relationship. It's a spiritual, emotional and physical act that has effects across all those areas. I've got no problem with that teaching.

I think the teaching on abstinence itself is okay, but it would be better if it were a choice the child makes. I'm not sure how the pre-adolescent girls pictures could be making such a choice. The purity balls seem to belie a different issue altogether... The responsibility the father takes for his daughter 's sexuality and her level of accountability to him. It's a mystery to me.

Comment

I wonder if it's bad to tell someone they are going to go to hell for jackin' or jillin' off, or for telling them that God hates queers?

Ni. Ni. Ni.

Azvanna, I was raised Roman Catholic in America. To the best of my knowledge, the only interest my dad took in my sister's virginity was to make sure she got home at a decent hour, and chaising off the less desirable fellas.

The only thing I got from either parent was "treat women with respect," a thing that, even as an atheist, I still think is meaningful.
                  Last edited by B. de Corbin; 31 Jan 2016, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    A women's virginity is NOT her most precious gift, and I don't believe idolizing it is healthy. Teach your girls to have self worth, and teach your boys to respect women.
                    Exactly right. A bit of balance.

Comment

Abstinence is much easier when one knows what one is missing out on. Waiting to first try something is harder because of the mystique.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

To many dads interested in their daughters sex lives IMO

Comment

I totally agree with that sentiment.
                          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                          X