X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hypnotism Is It Real Treatment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I seen hypnotism on TV and it all BS!
    But it's been in the National Enquirer. And you said that everything was true in that.

So what gives?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      I seen hypnotism on TV and it all BS!
      Hypnotism you see on TV, where people are convinced they're a chicken or similar things, is nothing like hypnotherapy. That's like saying you don't believe guns are lethal because you see people in movies get shot fifty times and are fine.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

BMH, I think you're asking the wrong question. You asked if Hypnotism was REAL treatment. The conversation is about whether it helps the society or not. I think it's real treatment, because it... Exists. If you asked about unicorns for example, then I'd say no. Because I didn't read anywhere about unicorns being used as medication.
        Whether it actually helps people or not, I don't know. If you wanted to talk about its effectiveness, perhaps you should have asked if it's an effective treatment.
        From what I assume, hypnosis is some sort of way of speaking to the subconscious part of the brain, which makes the person think on thing or another. It much depends on both the person who performs the hypnotism
        and the person the hypnotism is used upon. But it's only my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless I'm not understanding the meaning of "real" in this context.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I don't know about hypnotism, but I use self-hypnosis a lot and have a lot of success with it. I first discovered it when it helped me to quit smoking (it's been almost five years now and I don't miss it at all, and all cravings are long gone). I was so impressed that I decided to get some books and teach myself to do it. It took a bit of trial and error to find the best hypnotic language for me, but these days I enjoy a lot of success with it. It has made massive changes in my life. It's like my magic wand, I love it!

As others have said though, hypnotherapy isn't the same thing as stage hypnotism.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
            Hypnotism is still done in therapy today. I think it can be an aid in treatment, but I'm a bit leery of it, because hypnotism has (usually accidentally, but it could have been maliciously in some cases) implanted false memories in patients.
            The late 80's and 90's where filled with legal cases regarding hidden or suppressed memories that were later determined to have been planted. More than a few marriages and families were ripped apart because a therapist convinced people they were suffering from things that never happened. I know for many years hypnotic regressions and such was very shunned and looked down upon. Sad part I think is that practice also crossed over into the so called past life regressions and how a lot of those were planted via suggestion and to an extent still are.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              The late 80's and 90's where filled with legal cases regarding hidden or suppressed memories that were later determined to have been planted. More than a few marriages and families were ripped apart because a therapist convinced people they were suffering from things that never happened. I know for many years hypnotic regressions and such was very shunned and looked down upon. Sad part I think is that practice also crossed over into the so called past life regressions and how a lot of those were planted via suggestion and to an extent still are.
              My family had an experience with that. I won't go into too much detail, but my aunt remembered a traumatic incident with hypnosis, but displaced my grandpa as the one that hurt her, when it was actually someone else. I know that hypnotherapy fell out of favor for a while, but it seems to be coming back stronger.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                My family had an experience with that. I won't go into too much detail, but my aunt remembered a traumatic incident with hypnosis, but displaced my grandpa as the one that hurt her, when it was actually someone else. I know that hypnotherapy fell out of favor for a while, but it seems to be coming back stronger.
                That's the scary part that it might be coming around again as an acceptable practice. My extended family didn't get hit with that one they got hit with the Virginia Eugenics programs of forced sterilizations and such. Well that and the your an unfit parent so lets take your children and place them in homes where they got raped or worse, especially for the daughters.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I start threads asking a question to be ridiculously contrary to whatever answers are given.

Comment

On the subject of how hypnotic suggestion can be abused, an Indonesian friend of mine told me that there are criminals in Indonesia that use hypnotism to trick people into handing over their bags, wallets, phones and even car keys. Apparently this is an issue you hear about in other parts of East Asia and in Russia. I know Derren Brown (famous British 'mentalist' who uses mind tricks to great affect) has demonstrated how easy it can be in one of his shows. Possibly more misdirection than hypnosis as we know it, but both work along the idea that the human mind is suggestible.

On QI this week they talked about Franz Anton Mesmer, one of the earliest known hypnotists. He claimed he could control people's actions by manipulating their 'magnetism' but really, he just used hypnotic suggestions and mind tricks like Derren Brown. His name gave us the verb 'to mesmerise' though, which is pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                    I start threads asking a question to be ridiculously contrary to whatever answers are given.
                    I get the feeling that the idea of hypnotism frightens him. He is maybe choosing not to believe despite what anyone else might have experienced because it feels more comfortable that way. Which is fine if thats what makes him feel better.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

I think the idea of hypnotism frightens him. He is choosing not to believe despite what anyone else might have experienced because it feels more comfortable that way.
                      cues religious crazies and why they believe what they believe.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        cues religious crazies and why they believe what they believe.
                        Oh totally! And not that far off topic either. Fear is a very affective tool for manipulating people! Tried and tested.

Comment

There are times when hypnosis is the best tool for the job at hand. Stage hypnotists use hypnosis which is the same that therapists use but they have to be a good judge of characters to pick people who are willing to cooperate. You cannot be made to do anything under hypnosis that you don't want to do.
                          There is one caveat to that rule. When the person being hypnotized has been hypnotized by the same person for a long time and they trust the hypnotist the hypnotist can modify the reality of the situation to make the person do something they would only do under a certain set of conditions.
                          If you were hypnotized and told to shoot another person you would normally just come out of the hypnosis but if you trusted the hypnotist and they told you the the person was torturing or otherwise doing something very graphic to a loved one and they told you to shoot the person to defend your loved one, some people would shoot. You would have to trust the hypnotist in order to allow them to change the reality.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

beyond that there are people - like myself - who are immune to hypnosis. I believe in it but apparently it just won't work on me. I have several friend it has helped and one who used it to quit smoking. That's what I tied to use it for but apparently I just can't get suggestions put in my head. funny in someways since I use meditiation, which some people consider a form of self- hypnosis nearly every day.

Comment

Allowing yourself to be clinically hypnotized requires trust or the desire to be compliant. Anyone can be hypnotized if they allow it and it was said that the more intelligent you are the easier it is to be hypnotized. I don't know how true that is and I don't really care. I have meditated for my entire adult life and have used "self hypnosis" a number of times both actively and passively. The results are apparent so the question of whether it is a real treatment or not is unquestionable. Whether it is the "proper" treatment or administered in the "proper" way is something that can always be questioned.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I've never had professional hypnosis, and only one pre-recorded session ever worked on me. It took a lot of experimenting before I found the right phrases and voice that work for me. In particular, what works to get me into the state is saying, 'I wonder... what is the hypnotic state like?... how does it feel to be in that deep state, open to the suggestions that you have chosen for yourself?...' and so on. Then my mind tends to drift into a deeper state even before I begin the count down.

I also weirdly find that the changes I've designed my hypnosis courses around sometimes start to manifest before I've even listened to it. The process of writing the scripts and/or recording them, is sometimes enough to get the ball rolling.

Mind you, this used to happen with spells too. I've designed a few spells where the desired outcome manifested while I was waiting for the right moon phase or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X