Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poppet Use

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Poppet Use

Poppets are representations of people, and can be anything from detailed dolls to vaguely person-shaped cloth to stick figures. Corn dollies and "voodoo dolls" are commonly-known forms. Have you had an experience using poppets? Were they for positive or negative effect to the person represented? What was the outcome? Are the common in your practice and/or path?
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Jul 2014
    Religion
    eclectic pagan

Re: Poppet Use

I made a paper poppet once in high school to try to keep someone from influencing a loved one in negative ways....drugs and overall a-holishness...don't really recall what the effects were as it made of paper, so in all honesty it may not have worked at that time but later on in life when I was no longer in contact with these people.

As far as poppets being common in my practice, I'm very eclectic and I tend to base my work on the situation at hand. Even still, I haven't made another, but if the situation arises I will.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase

Did you feel any negative or ill-effects of using it? What did you do with the poppet after the ritual was done (if you remember)?
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I've used poppets. I've used them for spells on others...a binding and a "freezer spell", and on myself for sort of "self care" and healing stuff.

I never had any harmful effects, but I never did anything harmful to them either. Poppers don't have to be used for mean reasons...

When the spell was over, I basically un-dedicated the poppet and burned it for magic towards others, and put mine in a boat in the ocean.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Feb 2015
    Religion
    Northern Traditional Shamanism
    Phrase
    Purge Negativity with Control

I ended up creating a poppet for a curse I was working on. Filled it with hair clippings from the guy who I was cursing, used black cloth to represent his skin tone, invisioned his being into the doll itself. Hung it from a Nidstang Poll, and rose it outside during the winter.
    The curse was successful, he ended up becoming homeless during the winter before he went to jail for some time. I went back to collect the poll to find it gone, along with the poppet. Not sure where it is to this day.

Poppets have some type of origin in almost every single cultural and religious practice. I've only ever made two to great success, but would never make one of myself.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

So what you are describing is sympathetic magic,one object that is a representation of the actual target? That is an interesting subject,but I wonder how much is written on the subject.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Jul 2014
    Religion
    eclectic pagan

Sorry, I've been away the past few days. As per your question....I don't recall any ill-effects or negative stuff when I used it. After I made the poppet, I remember that I hid it as I was in the broom closet at the time. I dont remember where I hid if, and never saw it again.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I've used poppets. I've used them for spells on others...a binding and a "freezer spell", and on myself for sort of "self care" and healing stuff.

I never had any harmful effects, but I never did anything harmful to them either. Poppers don't have to be used for mean reasons...
    Oh, I know. Any more than any other magic has to be used for "mean" reasons. But sometimes things backfire...

Quote Originally Posted by Norse_Angel View Post
    Poppets have some type of origin in almost every single cultural and religious practice. I've only ever made two to great success, but would never make one of myself.
    I've honestly never heard of someone making one of themselves. I'm sure people have, but it seems foolish to leave a very grabbable representation of yourself physically out there.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by habbalah View Post
    I've honestly never heard of someone making one of themselves. I'm sure people have, but it seems foolish to leave a very grabbable representation of yourself physically out there.
    "I have done this several times. A poppet of yourself is only "dangerous if you actually identified it as a part of the core of that-which-defines-who-you-are (as opposed to a symbol or reflection of yourself).

Its not the tool, its how you use it. The tool doesn't have any power of its own. You give it the power, you direct it, you use it...or you're not really doing magic.

The key is 1) you dedicate it and use it for a specific purpose, 2) you limit the way in which "connect" it to you, and 3) you you remove its connection to you as soon as that purpose is over. Additionally, its not all that hard to add in an "only I can use this for X, Y, Z" to the spell/ritual to dedicate it--if one actually knows how to do magic, basic safeguards are, well...basic. Woo-woo magic wars of the successful taking over someone's poppet of themselves (or anyone else) is about as likely as donkeys on rollerskates doing the Charleston on a snowy day in Purgatory. Either one knows how to dedicate something and cleanse it afterwards or they don't. If they do, then its no risk. If they don't, why would they be making a poppet anyhow?

Besides, a poppet doesn't have to take a specific form--it can in technicality be anything that you identify as a symbol for yourself or for another. You could get a plant and identify it as a symbol for a person you hate and treat it like crap, etc---its just as much and as effective of a poppet (pragmatically speaking) as a doll stuffed with herbs and some fingernail clippings and a couple of needles (or a very pretty doll that you treat with love and care).
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Poppets were very much part of my mother's path. And always for unpleasant purposes. She just couldn't resist it.

I can't say I've made many, but there have been times I've been sorely tempted...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....