Poppet Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poppet Use

Poppets are representations of people, and can be anything from detailed dolls to vaguely person-shaped cloth to stick figures. Corn dollies and "voodoo dolls" are commonly-known forms. Have you had an experience using poppets? Were they for positive or negative effect to the person represented? What was the outcome? Are the common in your practice and/or path?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Poppet Use

I made a paper poppet once in high school to try to keep someone from influencing a loved one in negative ways....drugs and overall a-holishness...don't really recall what the effects were as it made of paper, so in all honesty it may not have worked at that time but later on in life when I was no longer in contact with these people.

As far as poppets being common in my practice, I'm very eclectic and I tend to base my work on the situation at hand. Even still, I haven't made another, but if the situation arises I will.

Comment

Did you feel any negative or ill-effects of using it? What did you do with the poppet after the ritual was done (if you remember)?

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I've used poppets. I've used them for spells on others...a binding and a "freezer spell", and on myself for sort of "self care" and healing stuff.

I never had any harmful effects, but I never did anything harmful to them either. Poppers don't have to be used for mean reasons...

When the spell was over, I basically un-dedicated the poppet and burned it for magic towards others, and put mine in a boat in the ocean.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I ended up creating a poppet for a curse I was working on. Filled it with hair clippings from the guy who I was cursing, used black cloth to represent his skin tone, invisioned his being into the doll itself. Hung it from a Nidstang Poll, and rose it outside during the winter.
          The curse was successful, he ended up becoming homeless during the winter before he went to jail for some time. I went back to collect the poll to find it gone, along with the poppet. Not sure where it is to this day.

Poppets have some type of origin in almost every single cultural and religious practice. I've only ever made two to great success, but would never make one of myself.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

So what you are describing is sympathetic magic,one object that is a representation of the actual target? That is an interesting subject,but I wonder how much is written on the subject.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Sorry, I've been away the past few days. As per your question....I don't recall any ill-effects or negative stuff when I used it. After I made the poppet, I remember that I hid it as I was in the broom closet at the time. I dont remember where I hid if, and never saw it again.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I've used poppets. I've used them for spells on others...a binding and a "freezer spell", and on myself for sort of "self care" and healing stuff.

I never had any harmful effects, but I never did anything harmful to them either. Poppers don't have to be used for mean reasons...
                Oh, I know. Any more than any other magic has to be used for "mean" reasons. But sometimes things backfire...

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                Poppets have some type of origin in almost every single cultural and religious practice. I've only ever made two to great success, but would never make one of myself.
                I've honestly never heard of someone making one of themselves. I'm sure people have, but it seems foolish to leave a very grabbable representation of yourself physically out there.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                  I've honestly never heard of someone making one of themselves. I'm sure people have, but it seems foolish to leave a very grabbable representation of yourself physically out there.
                  "I have done this several times. A poppet of yourself is only "dangerous if you actually identified it as a part of the core of that-which-defines-who-you-are (as opposed to a symbol or reflection of yourself).

Its not the tool, its how you use it. The tool doesn't have any power of its own. You give it the power, you direct it, you use it...or you're not really doing magic.

The key is 1) you dedicate it and use it for a specific purpose, 2) you limit the way in which "connect" it to you, and 3) you you remove its connection to you as soon as that purpose is over. Additionally, its not all that hard to add in an "only I can use this for X, Y, Z" to the spell/ritual to dedicate it--if one actually knows how to do magic, basic safeguards are, well...basic. Woo-woo magic wars of the successful taking over someone's poppet of themselves (or anyone else) is about as likely as donkeys on rollerskates doing the Charleston on a snowy day in Purgatory. Either one knows how to dedicate something and cleanse it afterwards or they don't. If they do, then its no risk. If they don't, why would they be making a poppet anyhow?

Besides, a poppet doesn't have to take a specific form--it can in technicality be anything that you identify as a symbol for yourself or for another. You could get a plant and identify it as a symbol for a person you hate and treat it like crap, etc---its just as much and as effective of a poppet (pragmatically speaking) as a doll stuffed with herbs and some fingernail clippings and a couple of needles (or a very pretty doll that you treat with love and care).
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Poppets were very much part of my mother's path. And always for unpleasant purposes. She just couldn't resist it.

I can't say I've made many, but there have been times I've been sorely tempted...
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Yes, I have made them, usually with yarn or string, bound over and over a book to form a fairly thick loop, slid off, and tied off with shorter bits at various lengths along the loop to form the head and arms and legs. Or I have used old socks or pairs of tights, cut out and sewn together, filled with bits of cotton wool, old pillow contents, or scrunched up newspaper. I try to include something personal of the person it is intended for, but if that's not available, I'll give it a name label, or tuck a photo of them inside it, something like that. I have sealed them in wax with herbs and crystals for healing, or I have made beds for them to lie in with rose petals for love, or hazelnuts for fertility... and so on... and I once sent one out to sea in a tin foil boat.

And yes I would say to very powerful effect too. Once, it frightened me just how powerfully it worked. I would say it went a bit further than I wanted. I have thought twice about using any since. And yes, I did suffer consequences, considering I'm not very into the law of three-fold return. I have had to live with the burden of knowing the misfortune the person (who had SERIOUSLY wronged my disabled, sick child) came to was down to me. Not proud of it but I cannot pretend it didn't happen because it did.

I have always burried them in the earth to rot, if I wish the job to be a slow acting one, or burned them on a fire to speed things up. Or put them in the freezer if I want the person to go away and leave us alone. It's worked so far!

Comment

Working...
                      X