Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Has Died At the Age of 79

Dec 2015
    Religion
    Celtic pagan
    Phrase
    Intergrity; doing the right thing even if no one is watching.

Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Has Died At the Age of 79

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    It is indeed the best known system that protects the rights of all people as it took hundreds of years for some people to even get rights. But, then we are all ignorant, this generation is destroying America. Why can't we just go back to the 1950's?

(and none of this have anything to do with the Republicans using the Constitution has a blanket to obstruct government or the appointing of Scalia's replacement)
    Yes well it would be nice to go back to far greater and gentler times when life wasn't so hectic and the world wasn't quite as dangerous. At least not on our doorstep. Just because the constitution gives the senate the power to confirm or deny an appointment, does not mean that they have to confirm any old Joe for the job. I personally would rather see the new president appoint the new SCOTUS justice but it is Obama's right and privilege to do so. Regardless as to whether it is an election year, he is still our president. With that said, he doesn't have to go right out right now and just pick anyone. I guarantee you that the Dems would be doing much the same thing if roles were reversed. This is the most divisive government we have had in a long time and it lends itself to all sorts of shenanigans by both parties.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Kindler, gentler times when non-whites had no rights and the danger was only mutually assured annihilation with the USSR.

Good times.

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan, Greek, Wiccan, Norse, Egyptian

Quote Originally Posted by Taulmaril View Post
    Yes well it would be nice to go back to far greater and gentler times when life wasn't so hectic and the world wasn't quite as dangerous. At least not on our doorstep. Just because the constitution gives the senate the power to confirm or deny an appointment, does not mean that they have to confirm any old Joe for the job. I personally would rather see the new president appoint the new SCOTUS justice but it is Obama's right and privilege to do so. Regardless as to whether it is an election year, he is still our president. With that said, he doesn't have to go right out right now and just pick anyone. I guarantee you that the Dems would be doing much the same thing if roles were reversed. This is the most divisive government we have had in a long time and it lends itself to all sorts of shenanigans by both parties.
    Of course with republicans being a minority in this country, and the republican controlled senate obstructing the president's nominee, and thus the next president picking at least one justice(Ginsburg has said she would resign if she didn't think the republicans would obstruct her replacement), it might just galvanize the democrats to come out and vote. With 10 dems and 24 repub senators up for reelection this could hand control of the senate to the dems and they could confirm a much more liberal justice than the moderate one that Obama is said to be putting forward. It's the government shutdown all over again only with the outcome resting on the election results.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Taulmaril View Post
    Yes well it would be nice to go back to far greater and gentler times when life wasn't so hectic and the world wasn't quite as dangerous.

That has never existed. You just didn't know any better.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Why is it that people who were not alive in the way back when,seem to have this obsession about this time as a perfect place...I grew up in that way back when,and do not remember that perfect place at all.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Dec 2015
    Religion
    Celtic pagan
    Phrase
    Intergrity; doing the right thing even if no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    Kindler, gentler times when non-whites had no rights and the danger was only mutually assured annihilation with the USSR.

Good times.
    LOL. Except maybe that part of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    That has never existed. You just didn't know any better.
    Yes well to be fair I wasn't born until 1968. I do remember the fear I had as a child that the world was going to be blown to smithereens in a nuclear war. I even had a dream about it when I was about 12 or so. Scared the shit out of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Why is it that people who were not alive in the way back when,seem to have this obsession about this time as a perfect place...I grew up in that way back when,and do not remember that perfect place at all.
    It's probably because people look at their lives today with all of it's hecticness and the fact that social media spreads news like wildfire as it happens. Even in the 70's things seemed to be slower. Of course I was a kid then and so things weren't so hectic for me. There is no utopia only a world that we live in called the here and now.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I grew up in the 50's.hit junior high in the 60's(beginning 60's) and got out of high school in 1965,so I remember all the cold war stuff. The hide under your desk if the "Bomb" was dropped drills in school.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

I was born in 1950 but I remember the anti communism crap in congress, the cold war fallout shelters (my dad built one), the bullies and racists of the 60s the friends I lost to drugs and hatred in the 70s, the economy of the 70s and 80s, and the insecurity of life in general. I learned to be prepared for layoffs, gasoline shortages, and the dangers of natural disasters like earthquakes and volcanoes. Living life is better than most of the other choices and being prepared to take care of yourself no matter what happens has made me feel secure for a long time. Now, if you prepare for bad times you are considered a terrorist or a "survivalist" or some other "ist" or "ism" that the government doesn't trust. They have even passed legislation in some states where they can confiscate your food and water to share it with others who were too lazy or stupid to be prepared themselves. The times we live in now are a lot more dangerous than any I have lived in before because people actually expect the government to save them. The government is doing all they can to save themselves and those folks don't give a bean about the people they are supposed to represent.