Just got a new book: Hellenic Polytheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a new book: Hellenic Polytheism

I got it from amazon, it was like 14 bucks and is only 157 pages but as its the only book on Greek Paganism I could find relating to solitary practice I picked it up. So far it's pretty informative. Hellenic Polytheism does sound like some work though as I'm suppose to have like four altars, one is the kitchen table/fireplace though so I got that. Has anyone else read this book or have any other books on Greek Paganism?

Re: Just got a new book: Hellenic Polytheism

Is that the one published by Labrys? I found it very useful. But you don't need four altars, or a fireplace! I have an altar shelf, like people in Roman apartments would have had. That has a bowl into which to pour libations and an incense burner. I have some sculpted images but, contrary to what they say in that book, pictures are OK. Like Chinese, Japanese, and Hindus, I offer some food to the gods when I make a libation and then eat it myself: like sharing the meal with the gods. My prayers are improvised, but I sing Thomas Taylor's translations of the Orphic Hymns on occasion, to the tunes or "Abide with me" or "Far round the world":

Other useful sites are
    Welcome to the Theoi Project, a site exploring Greek mythology and the gods in classical literature and art. The aim of the project is to provide a comprehensive, free reference guide to the gods (theoi), spirits (daimones), fabulous creatures (theres) and heroes of ancient Greek mythology and religion.

Comment

Re: Just got a new book: Hellenic Polytheism

Yeah it's by Labrys. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
      X