Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

natural hair dye?

Not sure if this goes here.

I've been wanting to change my hair for a while, I really wanted to dye it, but I do have very sensitive skin and I don't feel like taking the chance with hair dye. Does anyone have experience using herbs and stuff to dye hair? I'd love to go red, or reddish, and I've seen suggestions of using tomato juice, beetroot, hibiscus. Bit I haven't actually seen any 'after' pictures. Had anyone tried it? Or any other colours? I'm open to sugestions.
    I've tried lightening dark hair with chamomile once, that actually turned out better than ecpected.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Re: natural hair dye?

Henna for orange-red, indigo for black, and cassia for yellow (cassia only works if you already have light hair), and the three can be mixed in different amounts for different colors.

And the all-around best resource of information for henna is this site.

But, just an FYI, there is a lot of trial and error for finding the right mix for your hair.

These are pretty much the only long lasting hair dyes for human hair that don't wash out almost immediately or damage the hair (provided its done correctly and with the *real deal* in ingredients.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Thal, I'll look at it. I know henna, but I hadn't really heard of the other two.
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I haven't had great results with ingredients I can find in the home. I've tried coffee grounds and such a few times, but it only lasts a few days. I have to cover greys, though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I use a natural brand that has a mixture of henna, indigo, and other plants. I love it. The colors tend to be more "natural," but there is a really red one if you want to go with something a bit more drastic. It might be available in your country (the package comes with instructions in several different languages):
        Natürliche Pflege für Ihre Haut ✔ NaTrue & BDIH zertifiziert ✔ Ohne Tierversuche ✔ Extrakte aus Bio-Anbau ✔ Vegane Pflegeprodukte - SANTE Naturkosmetik

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I haven't had great results with ingredients I can find in the home. I've tried coffee grounds and such a few times, but it only lasts a few days. I have to cover greys, though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I use a natural brand that has a mixture of henna, indigo, and other plants. I love it. The colors tend to be more "natural," but there is a really red one if you want to go with something a bit more drastic. It might be available in your country (the package comes with instructions in several different languages):
          http://www.sante.de/en/produkte/pflanzen-haarfarben/
          I might try coffee just to try. I don't mind it doesn't last, i'm just curious.
          I haven't seen that brand before, but I can probably import it if it's not sold here (also, I read ans speak German fine so instructions shouldn't be a problem either way)... I know my local hairdresser uses some 'natural' dye brand, but I haven't yet looked it up to see what's actually in it.
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            Its because most DIY household stuff only tint the hair, they don't bind to the keratin itself--walnut hulls will last a week or so (but also stain the crud out of your hands), beets are good (depending on your hair color and porosity) for a few days, etc...
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X