Thread: natural hair dye?

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

natural hair dye?

Not sure if this goes here.

I've been wanting to change my hair for a while, I really wanted to dye it, but I do have very sensitive skin and I don't feel like taking the chance with hair dye. Does anyone have experience using herbs and stuff to dye hair? I'd love to go red, or reddish, and I've seen suggestions of using tomato juice, beetroot, hibiscus. Bit I haven't actually seen any 'after' pictures. Had anyone tried it? Or any other colours? I'm open to sugestions.
    I've tried lightening dark hair with chamomile once, that actually turned out better than ecpected.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: natural hair dye?

Henna for orange-red, indigo for black, and cassia for yellow (cassia only works if you already have light hair), and the three can be mixed in different amounts for different colors.

And the all-around best resource of information for henna is this site.

But, just an FYI, there is a lot of trial and error for finding the right mix for your hair.

These are pretty much the only long lasting hair dyes for human hair that don't wash out almost immediately or damage the hair (provided its done correctly and with the *real deal* in ingredients.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Nov 2014
    Religion

Thanks Thal, I'll look at it. I know henna, but I hadn't really heard of the other two.
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I haven't had great results with ingredients I can find in the home. I've tried coffee grounds and such a few times, but it only lasts a few days. I have to cover greys, though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I use a natural brand that has a mixture of henna, indigo, and other plants. I love it. The colors tend to be more "natural," but there is a really red one if you want to go with something a bit more drastic. It might be available in your country (the package comes with instructions in several different languages):
    http://www.sante.de/en/produkte/pflanzen-haarfarben/

Nov 2014
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I haven't had great results with ingredients I can find in the home. I've tried coffee grounds and such a few times, but it only lasts a few days. I have to cover greys, though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I use a natural brand that has a mixture of henna, indigo, and other plants. I love it. The colors tend to be more "natural," but there is a really red one if you want to go with something a bit more drastic. It might be available in your country (the package comes with instructions in several different languages):
    http://www.sante.de/en/produkte/pflanzen-haarfarben/
    I might try coffee just to try. I don't mind it doesn't last, i'm just curious.
    I haven't seen that brand before, but I can probably import it if it's not sold here (also, I read ans speak German fine so instructions shouldn't be a problem either way)... I know my local hairdresser uses some 'natural' dye brand, but I haven't yet looked it up to see what's actually in it.
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Its because most DIY household stuff only tint the hair, they don't bind to the keratin itself--walnut hulls will last a week or so (but also stain the crud out of your hands), beets are good (depending on your hair color and porosity) for a few days, etc...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible