Oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak

I've done some research, but what gods and other entities are associated with the oak tree, especially the leaves?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Oak

Being one of the strongest of woods, used in the building of hearty longboats, coffins, and furniture during the Viking age, Thor is associated with the Oak tree
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Oaks are attractive to lightening - according to the stories.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

With only a very minimal education in Wicca and less in Druidism, I would think the Oak God who dies each fall (with the leaves of the Oak) would be well associated with the leave specifically. I believe the Oak was sacred to the Druids but I don't know any Druid deity that was associated with the tree or specifically the leaves. If I wasn't so set in my ways I would spend some time researching it.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Oaks are attractive to lightening - according to the stories.
          That would make its association with Zeus and Thor make more sense, then.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Perun (Перун) and Perkūnas, who may be Slavic and Baltic views of Thor are also associated with oak.
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
              Perun (Перун) and Perkūnas, who may be Slavic and Baltic views of Thor are also associated with oak.
              Thorbjorn, I thought Petun wasn't much of a good god.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                Thorbjorn, I thought Petun wasn't much of a good god.
                You might be thinking of his antagonist, Veles.

In Slavic mythology, Perun (Cyrillic: Перун) is the highest god of the pantheon and the god of thunder and lightning. His other attributes were fire, mountains, wind, the oak, iris, eagle, firmament (in Indo-European languages, this was joined with the notion of the sky of stone[2]), horses and carts, weapons (the hammer, axe (Axe of Perun), and arrow), and war. He was first associated with weapons made of stone and later with those of metal.
                Perun is described as a rugged man with a copper beard.[citation needed] He rides in a chariot pulled by a goat buck and carries a mighty axe, or sometimes a hammer. The axe is hurled at evil people and spirits and will always return to his hand[citation needed]. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perun
                I know only a little of Slavic Paganism, but Perun sounds very much like Thor.
                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

The idea of a pure evil God,or pure good God seems hard to imagine,because even Christian GOD seems to have a duel personality(I will toss you in a burning hell,BUT I am pure LOVE kind of thing) Hard to think of a pure anything concerning a deity at times.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

As mentioned by others here, the oak tree is often associated with strength, power, and lightning. It often comes to be associated, then, with sky gods in Europe. Zeus, Thor, Perun, Jupiter, and Taranis are but a few examples.
                    Among the Gauls, in particular, the oak tree was associated with religious rites and knowledge. Groves of trees were often where rituals took place, and it's probably that sacred oak groves were of importance.

Comment

Working...
                    X