Stupid Sexy Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Sexy Gods

In researching various pantheons, I've noticed that it's very common to portray gods in artwork as incredibly gorgeous or sexually appealing. I know this isn't a new concept, but what strikes me odd about it is that it's even done with gods that are traditionally described as plain or even homely (such as Hephaestus). What do you think about this, if anything? Do you feel it's disrespectful? New Age silliness?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Stupid Sexy Gods

Gods, being usually considered powerful beings, are by that very reason, sexually appealing, seeing as how we usually as a species try to make our genes stronger.

So I guess we depict them as sexually appealing, so we can bang them and have demigod children.

Also, most demons I've been able to see take on a really appealing shape.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I never thought much about it... you're right, I guess. I actually have a keyring with a drawing of Freyr on it ( https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nes_Gehrts.jpg ) this one. I wasn't surprised that he's very sexualized, and to him I don't feel it would be an insult... I can't think of anyone where it would be an insult... it's just the human imagination... bit it's an interesting thought
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

If I'm gonna worship a female god, she needs to be dressed down like a fem super hero, and show some abs.

More seriously, though, people tend to bring out their fantasies of perfection when depicting their deities, things that are perfect need to look perfect, so there you go (you will see it typically in the art of any religion - look at all that Vatican art... nobody ever looks like they have been working out in the desert all day...)
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Homely is a relative concept. Hephaestus may not have been much to look at by comparison to other Olympians but he was still a god. His presence was still so great and terrible that a mortal looking upon his true face was getting a one way trip to the underworld once their eyes fell upon him. This doesn't necessarily mean he should be portrayed as a sex symbol but portraying an Olympian as not exceptional in some way was missing the point something fierce. Making him appear repulsive could work...

as long as he's also awe inspiring. Now convincing artists to run with awesome but not a sex symbol might take time.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Homely is a relative concept. Hephaestus may not have been much to look at by comparison to other Olympians but he was still a god. His presence was still so great and terrible that a mortal looking upon his true face was getting a one way trip to the underworld once their eyes fell upon him. This doesn't necessarily mean he should be portrayed as a sex symbol but portraying an Olympian as not exceptional in some way was missing the point something fierce. Making him appear repulsive could work...

as long as he's also awe inspiring. Now convincing artists to run with awesome but not a sex symbol might take time.
            Sure, but awe-inspiring and hot are two different things. I would expect to look at an image of Him and think "wow", and not in an "I want Him to bang me with His hammer!" kind of way.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

An interesting thought. I don't think it's "New Age" as deities have been depicted as sexually appealing to one or both sexes (or "all sexes", if you get that sort of thing) for centuries.

However, I think virility has been portrayed through exaggerated physiology of men and women. Men were muscular, dangerous, and/or cunning. Or, in the case of Priapus, have their genitals focussed on. Women had curves. Not "rolls", but individual muscles were not heavily toned, such as on the stomach, with Aphrodite having a little bit of podge in many paintings. This dismissal of "skinny" may have been based on assumed natural capacity for motherhood, such as the size of breasts or width of hips. Despite what these were gods of, they were always an improved human of sorts. I don't know any pantheons where chief deities are all animals, certainly in ancient or classical mythologies, but I'm willing to be corrected. Physique aside, other traits that can be attractive can be knowing what the opposite sex like or want.

Diana, from paintings that I've seen, appears to be depicted often as quite plain. Despite being a virgin who swore chastity, her patronage to hunters and the wilderness may make her intriguing and attractive to many men. I have only recently discovered her and what she is about, and finding out her attributes, I'm liking her already. Maybe not sexually, but if I met a woman who was like her in real life, I would probably find her attractive, based on her attributes!
              Last edited by Briton; 19 Feb 2016, 12:28.
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Diana is a good example. I'm sure She is stunning beyond what a mortal could compare, but seeing Her portrayed as supermodel with a bow and a leather skirt strikes me less as "supernaturally beautiful" and more like "I had that poster on my wall". I'm not saying that you can't picture gods however you want--of course you can and will--but artwork like that just makes me amused and a bit puzzled.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'd like to think of myself as a stupid sexy god but as it turns out I'm just a stupid, meh, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                    Diana is a good example. I'm sure She is stunning beyond what a mortal could compare, but seeing Her portrayed as supermodel with a bow and a leather skirt strikes me less as "supernaturally beautiful" and more like "I had that poster on my wall". I'm not saying that you can't picture gods however you want--of course you can and will--but artwork like that just makes me amused and a bit puzzled.
                    Well, from the paintings I've seen, she's no super model. She's just normal. And I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                      Well, from the paintings I've seen, she's no super model. She's just normal. And I like that.
                      I'm more talking about modern drawings. Post-modern? Whatever contemporary art is called now.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Wasn't Dagda a Celtic God? He was never portrayed as "sexy" in appearance but He was portrayed as a sexual master? I might be mistaken - I remember bits and pieces of religious history but this one was a patron for one of my temple mates and I seem to remember that he had a huge club and a phallus to match. I also seem to remember he had a cauldron that was always full. My memory recalls a picture of a man who could have been a dwarf, except for his actual large size. I would not consider Him to be "good looking" or "sexually attractive" but awesome? YES!
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Oh I see what you mean now. I haven't seen those. Shame. She's nicer "normal" rather than hypersexualized.

Saturn is depicted pretty poorly.

Comment

Probably the reason the Dagda is depicted this way is that he is the father of the Celtic gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
                              Probably the reason the Dagda is depicted this way is that he is the father of the Irish gods.
                              Fixed that for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X