Stupid Sexy Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid Sexy Gods

I find it hard to separate the Irish from the Celtic too. It is purely ignorance on my part - ignorance of the differences in the two regions and religions. I've not been interested in either and I have few friends that practice either of them. In Arratu one is free to take any deity as a patron so my temple mate studied and found his connection to Dagda which really seemed to fit him. They could have been brothers in a different time.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
      In researching various pantheons, I've noticed that it's very common to portray gods in artwork as incredibly gorgeous or sexually appealing. I know this isn't a new concept, but what strikes me odd about it is that it's even done with gods that are traditionally described as plain or even homely (such as Hephaestus). What do you think about this, if anything? Do you feel it's disrespectful? New Age silliness?
      So, do you just mean making them look attractive, or making them look like a manga?

Case in point:

Thalia Took's Freya (art that I could see using devotionally, even though it's not my cup of tea*):

versus

Sexy Freya (who the hubby just said would only be a devotional image if...never mind, this isn't the adult section)

(source)

*and when I say it's not my cup of tea, I mean for devotional use. I actually quite like Thalia Took's goddess artwork (some more than others)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        So, do you just mean making them look attractive, or making them look like a manga?
        The latter. Making them look like well, sexy video game characters, like the picture. Doesn't mean the art is bad, or that it's wrong.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

The latter. Making them look like well, sexy video game characters, like the picture. Doesn't mean the art is bad, or that it's wrong.

Yeah, I couldn't take that seriously as something I worshipped, but I think a lot of those pictures aren't actually used devotionally...

I don't think it's disrespectful, per se*...and I don't think its new age, I actually think it's just a cultural shift in art and the artwork that is accessible, particularly in a more tech-oriented culture

*This probably depends on the deity---I doubt Artemis would be wholly amused by looking like a Swimsuit Illustrated, here for your pleasure, swimsuit edition cover (same for the Morrigan, Bellona, Hestia, etc)....but some other deities may vary--I think Freya might be down with sexy badass.

ETA: Some of it might be wishful thinking or ignorance too. And maybe there's a little new age glossing over of the ugly (though sometimes I think we are too quick to call things new age as an insult), Handsome, whole, Hephasteus, etc...I guess it would depend on the context

ETA2: But honestly, I don't think gods are static beings waiting for us to dust them off the shelf when its convenient for us to worship them. If the gods are *real* (by which I mean beings actually capable of interaction with our environment), I'm pretty sure Helios has traded in mucking out the sun chariot's steed's stables for some sweet classic motorcycles. And because the gods are the gods, he'd either make sure that was how I saw him or set the record straight. Or, if the gods aren't *real* (same above definition), that they make sure that we see them in the way that we are most likely to receive them...or that its all just a psychological projection of our own subconscious. YMMV, but in my experience, the gods don't care what we pontificate about them.

The gods are alive because we are alive, because we remain human and have inherited their voice…it is the nature of our retellings that shapes our breath. Myths are truths that descend on the reflective soul from the stars. The greatest truths last so long and are so beloved that they appear to approach eternity, where the divine dwells. The ancient gods are not broken shards to be mounted and put on display; neither are they domesticated pets or action figures to play with and entertain. These transcendent vessels were not meant to explode thrillingly on our screens or be stored safely behind glass, they were meant to serve and serve up the human spirit, to be filled and poured and refilled, to fulfill their physical and metaphysical function and come alive again and again and again.

The greatest myths have revealed themselves to be less like dogmatic structures than garments…woven and unwoven and rewoven through the generations, composed always of the stuff from the same source: wisdom from the heart of mankind. Revision (is) essential for understanding and overcoming our past (and) that great human promise of moving towards the future with the spirit of truth
          (both quotes from the introduction of Varitan’s Illustrated Greek Myths by Yonah Ignacio Varitan)
          Last edited by thalassa; 20 Feb 2016, 04:42.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Just look at the Christian Art of demons and angels from the way way back.

Hard to be sure about time line,but.

I think you kinda can see the bias.

- - - Updated - - -

And also the way Jesus image changed over time.

And that after this image.

Not sure if the changes would be less appealing as an image for worship or not.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Well, most Christians who have spent time to consider what Jesus would have looked like would use a quote from Isaiah, which suggests he isn't much to look at. He would have looked more like the bottom one, than... whatever the hell that first one is trying to portray.

I now understand what you're referring to, the Manga-esque OVERTLY sexy imagery. I think it could be insulting, not because it's sexual, but because it's treated like such a fad. It's a form of very disrespectful cultural appropriation. They don't give a toss about the person of the god they're depicting, just trying to make them out to be a bit of a bimbo. Male or female.
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                Fixed that for you.
                LOL. Yes the father of the Irish gods. Thanks.

Comment

I'm more talking about modern drawings. Post-modern? Whatever contemporary art is called now.
                  Personally, though I freely admit I'm rather defensive about my god/desses, I find some of the modern artwork of Freyja to be offensive. She is a goddess of sexuality, among her other attributes, and she uses her sexuality, but she is not a slut as she is often portrayed. There are much deeper meanings to stories such as her trysts with the dwarves to obtain the necklace Brisingamen.
                  śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                  śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Trust me, I totally understand the feeling. My relationship with Loki has always been somewhere between that goofy prankster either older uncle or grandfather who just wants to mess with you until you scream mercy and then will fix what he messed up. Theeeeeeen came along Marvel and Tom Hiddleston. -__- I get the vibe he's always been more amused by it all than anything, but still.
                    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                    sigpic

Comment

Came back to the thread to say I AM a sexy God. Dunno if I'm stupid though.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                        Came back to the thread to say I AM a sexy God. Dunno if I'm stupid though.
                        Heh, nothing to do with the gods being stupid. It's a modified Simpson's quote.
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                        X