X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meme

I really don't get memes. What's the purpose of a meme anyway? :confuse:

Re: Meme

To make fun of something and make people laugh... its not a hard concept to understand

Comment

like that. It tells you what I think without having to actually type out what I think.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Anyway, all bullshit and aggressive/rude comments aside, a meme is just an image or something along that line that is altered to be a lot more humorous than what it originally was or a humorous picture that's been edited to put text on it.
        "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

like this?

omg. I'm dying here. It's like Memes r Us up in here.

Comment

Since we've decided to say all sorts of things via meme....

e164ac7f735a89764713813665e07a45.jpg

To the OP, memes are just another way of conveying a point. Typically, but not always, in a slightly more humorous fashion than simply typing it out
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

:^^:

Comment

Comment

A picture says a thousand words...BUT,this is a no noise zone...Oh wait,meme's are ok,cause they say things in a quiet voice...

- - - Updated - - -

So here is your moment of Zen.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Memes are ideas that spread within a society, like how genes propagate within a population, or as Dawkins put it they are "units of cultural transmission." Most of the posts in this thread are image macros, a kind of meme. The idea that Florida is prone to weirdness is also a meme, so is the Harlem Shake.

Either way, the purpose of a meme is ultimately social validation.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      Memes are ideas that spread within a society, like how genes propagate within a population, or as Dawkins put it they are "units of cultural transmission." Most of the posts in this thread are image macros, a kind of meme. The idea that Florida is prone to weirdness is also a meme, so is the Harlem Shake.

Either way, the purpose of a meme is ultimately social validation.
                      If you haven't seen this, it is a great talk.

http://www.ted.com Susan Blackmore studies memes: ideas that replicate themselves from brain to brain like a virus. She makes a bold new argument: Humanity ...

Comment

Listened to part of the talk...very interesting idea,that our culture is in a way evolving(even our very seeming notions of reality) Ideas become material and even this causes more change(How will we adapt to "Smart" cars,and smart machines of all kinds?) If we no longer need to drive,or in some ways everyday things are taken care of for us,then we change direction because we can much more quickly.

Pondering will begin now...Sigh..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

In the last part of the talk she gets into what she calls 'temes' or technological memes, which is basically the idea that technology becomes a 'third replicator' (genes are the first - biological evolution; memes are the second - cultural evolution; and temes - technological evolution). This ties in to the Transhuman goal of evolving human kind beyond a purely biological species into a cybornetic species, or what Ray Kurzweil calls 'Biological Machines'. Basically, unless we adapt body and mind to advanced technology there is the possibility that humanity is no longer the top of the food chain because we will be taken over by advanced AI within robotic bodies (Remember 'I, Robot'? Search Honda ASIMO. Remember 'Robocop?', search Cyberdyne HAL Exoskeleton).

Comment

There is the idea(perhaps even implantation) of mind controlling of machines(Think turning on lights just by thinking it) This is being studied,and some disabled people have had implants to interface with computers Using wifi or other wireless processes. Train the person to direct thoughts to certain actions.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I think I got the idea of a meme purpose on the internet. Thanks everybody.

Comment

Working...
                              X