Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plus size VS Model thin..

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Plus size VS Model thin..

Western medicine's ideas of what a "healthy" weight is isn't supported by anything other than Western medicine's idea of what a "healthy" weight it--the Western diet, of course, being a hot mess...and the assumption is that being overweight is a) preventable by "health" and b) that eschewing or controlling calories from such a diet means that you are somehow healthier. And TBH, Western medicine doesn't even know what "healthy" is when it comes to weight or truly how one *actually* achieves a "healthy weight".

Morbid obesity is bad for you, yes. But being overweight isn't necessarily bad for you . As a (former) corpsman, I've seen any number of fit looking, exercising, fit eating people keel over of an early heart attack, clock in with uber high BP, have LDLs off the charts, and even be Type II Diabetics. And, I'd not be at all surprised to find that that being overweight or even mildly obese with a non-Western (or non-standard Western-ish) diet is healthier than being a "healthy weight" on a Western diet.

The failings of the Western diet and Western medicine aside, as a former teenage girl with teenage girl friends, that later was a camp counselor for teenage girls, and went on to serve as a medic for plenty of teenage girls (right out of boot camp), I find the idea that skinny models, magazines and the media, and the fashion industry promoting anorexia (or other eating disorders) "are just silly" be a dangerous and very untrue idea. Additionally, being overweight does not make one immune to anorexia or bulimia (nor does it mean that either one is "safer" than if you are skinny since the assumption is that you can stand to loose a few).

And this:
    I'm all for fat or skinny. I mean so what. What I'm not for is making a comment out of 'care' to a heavier woman. All in the guise of 'caring'. You don't effing care about my health. Shut your pie hole.

Sorta like that. That's how I feel.

But I like blackberry cobbler better than pie.

Otherwise hell-to-the-yes.

And I think the first pic is hot.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I've come to realise that the media is there to sell us a version of reality that is similar to the real world but just a bit 'better' because there's no profit to be made from people who are happy with what they have and who they are. It's not a big conspiracy, like everyone got around the table and said 'let's make everyone feel inferior..' but rather, it's a consequence of a capitalist culture. We are shown a world where beauty is superficial, because we can't buy personality. An exaggerated version of beauty is used because those trying to sell us the clothes or products can't afford to lose potential customers because of our individual preferences on what counts as beauty. So they airbrush and photoshop their models to appeal to the widest possible audience. A concept the biologists amongst you will be familiar with as a 'supernormal stimulus'.

They don't necessarily mean us harm, but companies DO want to make us feel that buying x product will make us as happy or successful as the people in the images (which only works if they make our real lives appear somewhat lacking).

I was going to reply with something similar when Thal posted the morning routine thread, because the author of the article in question is a classic example of someone who has bought the myth and is living a superficial life of fabricated happiness.. 'I'm working out for 3 hours before work, breakfast was a super-juice, my hair is perfect, my clothes are designer.. I'm living the dream...' 'No love, you're reenacting a commercial break...'

It's no secret that I've had body image issues. When I was starting to recover, it was quickly replaced by a feeling of inadequacy over my home and belongings. It was then that I realised those feelings were all linked. Once I realised that it's just an easily salable concept of 'happiness' because the things that truly make us happy can't be bought, I learnt to stop paying it so much attention. Now I can get back to caring about the things that really DO matter.

So.. honestly, I think 'healthy' is as much about what's going on in your head as it is about weight. Sure, if your weight (or lack of) is causing you health problems, or genuinely making you unhappy, then seek support to do something about it if you so wish. But if you think your happiness and wellbeing is dependent on your weight, you're likely to be pretty disappointed when/if you reach that ideal. Just like the 'perfect' woman who wrote that article about succesful women, will no doubt discover (although she'll probably just assume it's because her teeth need more work, or she should get a better car... or cut something else from her diet). Because that world where only beautiful people are happy isn't real. Happy people are happy because they're happy people.. whether they fit the media profile of beautiful or not.

Now.. did someone mention pie?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Sealed
    Aug 2015
    Religion
    Sumerian pagan
    Phrase
    Constants and variables

Give me a Romanesque model any day, ladies with curves where they should be, not these airbrushed skeletors

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

In 1980, I was wearing the same bikini Christie Brinkley wore on the Sports Illustrated cover. But I was not having a good time in life, and I was obsessed with thinness. Looking like that did not make anyone magically love me, which is what I was looking for back then. I was starving myself to death based on what the media told me was ideal. Boy have I changed, inside and out. LOL I'm very glad I got over all that, and survived!

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I'm all for fat or skinny. I mean so what. What I'm not for is making a comment out of 'care' to a heavier woman. All in the guise of 'caring'. You don't effing care about my health. Shut your pie hole.

Sorta like that. That's how I feel.

I want pie.
    This. This! Yes.
    Happens to skinnier too. Can't tell you hiw often I get 'A bit omore wight would do you good' like that never occured to me... shut up. Mind your own buisinss.

Want ice cream with that? I've got the freezer full.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

Sorry, insufficient sample to draw a conclusion.

Please supply more along the lines of the first image.

Yes, both the first and second images can be normal. Not all women have wide hips or rib cage that create hourglass figures, and that's fine.

We all have our own definition of what's beautiful and, let's not fool ourselves, appearance does matter. However, if someone you like doesn't find you attractive, that's fine. Find someone else.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Truth be told,I have always been very thin..had a 30 inch waist right up till I hit about 55. I was also hit with the "Are you sick" being that thin. I had to eat high calorie stuff all the time just to keep what weight I had. I was what is commonly called wiry,strong but not bulky..to the point it surprised people at how strong I really was. So,I kinda know from a male perspective about this subject.
    After 55 I started to collect more weight,I think my metabolism finally slowed enough to gain some extra weight.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan, Greek, Wiccan, Norse, Egyptian

I don't mind the plus size model in this post, or the medium size model. But what about men? I personaly like men with some meat on their abs. You don't have to sculpt yourself to the idea of a perfect man, you can be perfect but not have abs. You can be a perfect man and not attract the men/women alike that are represented in this post. You don't have to be the perfect supermodel.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

The fashion world is ridiculous. That woman in the original world (while fairly average) is still heavier than a good chunk of "plus sized" models out there. I think age limits would actually fix a lot of it. Whereas in the past (and by "past", I mean 1990), the fashion norm was "tall slim woman," now it's "14-year-old," and adult women have to fit the profile if they want to work. There's a fetishization of young teens, and it's creepy, gross, and wrong.

That being said, I hate a lot of the backlash against thin models in general. There are women that generally have a really slim figure (Audrey Hepburn stands out as an example), and shaming them into feeling like they are not "real women" is wrong and unfair. We are all "real women." We just need to feel comfortable in the skin we're in, and society needs to respect a broader spectrum of body types.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    Cheryl Tiegs does have a point about health. We all know (unless we live in a cave) that a lot of the health problems arising in later life are associated with being overweight.

No, she doesn't. She doesn't know anything about that model or her physical health, and she is not a doctor.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

I just want to know who makes pants for women? Because NO ONE on the planet can just make a decent pair of pants. Not for skinny gals. No for big ones. No one.
    Satan is my spirit animal