God gets you for dishonesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God gets you for dishonesty

How punitive, omniscient gods may have encouraged the expansion of human society

Surely, many factors played a role. Agriculture, for instance, provided resources that could sustain greater numbers of people. However, over the past few years, evidence has been accumulating that religious beliefs and practices may have stimulated our willingness and ability to engage in fair, cooperative behavior with many random, anonymous people. This level of cooperation can be used to create larger social networks and societies; but it can also bring people together to engage in collective violence and conflict.
    Personally, I wonder if this is an example of cause being confused with effect - do people who value honesty and cooperation invent gods that like honesty and cooperation, or do people create gods that value honesty and cooperation, then become honest and cooperative as a result?

Looks like the former to me... But then, I am pretty sure that gods are invented.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: God gets you for dishonesty

I figured people gave god "better qualities" than themselves as would be useful for the time period f the religion's creation. Honesty being a useful thing for businessman so make it a godly attribute. Good and bad are lal really defined by cultural bias and then attributed ot their "creator."

Comment

I think it's more sociological. If you were a lying, cheating dirtbag and you weren't in politics, you tended to be disappeared.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Our findings also partially explain why some religions have dominated the globe; conquest, violence and conversion all require extreme levels of coordination and cooperation. Indeed, Christianity and Islam in particular often tout belief in a moralistic, punishing and omniscient deity, and these traditions have spread around the world.
        So..in conclusion, if you want to spread your religion you can't do it haphazardly violent and torturous. You need to be a cooperative violent bunch. Gothcha. :=I:
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Personally, I wonder if this is an example of cause being confused with effect - do people who value honesty and cooperation invent gods that like honesty and cooperation, or do people create gods that value honesty and cooperation, then become honest and cooperative as a result?
          Or a feedback loop.

I think "invented" is kind of not a right word. Inventions it has a certain connotation to it that doesn't quite work...no one person really invented music or democracy or kingship or art or language or painting, at least not in the same was that someone invented the telephone or the zipper.

We need a word for something that is a product of homologous and analogous cultural innovation and evolution.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

In my sad understanding,religion and other beliefs came from wishful thinking(hoping that there is more than just cruel blind fate that governs life)
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Or a feedback loop.

I think "invented" is kind of not a right word. Inventions it has a certain connotation to it that doesn't quite work...no one person really invented music or democracy or kingship or art or language or painting, at least not in the same was that someone invented the telephone or the zipper.

We need a word for something that is a product of homologous and analogous cultural innovation and evolution.
              I see religion is a psychological form of convergent evolution.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Or a feedback loop.

This is probobly more accurate.

Maybe we can call these things "chicken or egg events."
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                X