Let's talk math!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk math!

I've read a few articles and threads (on other forums. Yes I cheat on you!)about math.

Is math a universal language? Or is it just the way humans explain things in our perceived universe? As in do you think aliens add? Do you think they figure distance the same way we do? I don't just mean using different words for 'adding'. But maybe more than just different procedures or paths to the answer. Is it possible that somewhere 2+2 gets a different answer then 4? I'm being really simple here in explanation, but you catch my drift?

Is math ours only? Or is math part of the universe?

Also not having a math system doesn't mean that math isn't in their system.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Let's talk math!

Hard to say,I learned from a program on National Geographic on brains that in fact we do NOT see things in 3-d,but our brains fill in the missing parts. This made me think,is our perception including MATH a real world thing,or does our brain make it up as it goes?
    The program is called Brain Games BTW,and you can see parts of it on YouTube.

See them here.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a section of popular Brain Games videos.

- - - Updated - - -

And a video.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think math is universal. One of the great discoveries of math was the number zero. I forget who first came up with it. But yes I think aliens have math. If they ever show up here I'm sure they could enlighten us with their math.

Comment

The zero was first used in the middle east, Sumer, and yes, math is "universal". The frequency of a hydrogen atom is the same here as it in anywhere in the universe. the numbers of protons and neutrons determines the weight of each atom and molecule. The speed of light is always the same in a vacuum. Two of anything plus two more will always equal four of that. -2 + 2 = 0 and that will always be true as well. The math of physics must also be true universally. The characters used in calculations will be completely foreign but the math will be consistent.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Most of math is constant. Some of how we express it is not. The obvious difference is characters used to represent numbers can change. A less obvious point is that we use a base 10 system by choice. We aren't required to, base just happens to be easy. If we were to use base 4 for instance

2 * 2 = 4 would write out as
          2 * 2 = 10

The physical value would be the same but everything would be expressed differently because we use a different base.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ooh I love math. Math is my favorite subject when I was at school. Anyway. Yes Math is a universial language and I got proof. http://www.learner.org/interactives/.../language.html

Comment

Math describes relationships between things. If the relationships described are part of the world, then the description might be, too.

The descriptions - if real - should be accessable to any mind that can percieve them.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Math is the ultimate universal language. If you don't believe my link which I post earlier, I suggest you should watch videos of Square One the TV show and Numb3rs.

Comment

Math can be very interesting,I was very into Topology and a book as a kid named "Flatland"

- - - Updated - - -

Link to book.

And link to Topology.

- - - Updated - - -

Topology gives us Klein's Bottle,image below.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Mobius strip.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Yes. As in, both.

Math is invented...it's a cultural phenomenon.

Look at the Piraha...they have neither numbers nor time. Or Roman vs Arabic numerals. Or quipu. Or differences in number-names and counting.

Numbers are symbols and mathematics is a language. Like any language, the concepts presented in it are unique to the cultures that use it. The meanings of it are isolated to the people that speak that language.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

But what if the "evil Demon' ( a Philosophical construct of Descartes) is blocking all our abilities to see that maths is just a deception invented by him and he is fooling us into believing it is a universal language?

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Yes. As in, both.

Math is invented...it's a cultural phenomenon.

Look at the Piraha...they have neither numbers nor time. Or Roman vs Arabic numerals. Or quipu. Or differences in number-names and counting.

Numbers are symbols and mathematics is a language. Like any language, the concepts presented in it are unique to the cultures that use it. The meanings of it are isolated to the people that speak that language.
                        This.

Also, I think our culture currently places too much importance on math. There is so much talk about the subject in schools, but it is no more (or no less) important than reading, languages, music, and other ways we make sense of our world. Although we live in a data-driven society, we cannot interpret that data with calculations and algorithms alone.

Comment

Working...
                        X