Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

Interesting - wonder where it will lead

Re: Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

Today I had to turn on the air conditioner..This never happens before mid may,but the weather is acting weird. It hit 76 today,4 degrees from 80..Me no like this...

- - - Updated - - -

It broke a record BTW.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

If they win the lawsuits, I have to wonder what the next steps are from there. What will they do with the money? What will they build?
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

It is my deepest fear,that the bad stuff is already upon us. We may not be able to completely reverse things because we have waited way to long to take action.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Today I had to turn on the air conditioner..This never happens before mid may,but the weather is acting weird. It hit 76 today,4 degrees from 80..Me no like this...

- - - Updated - - -

It broke a record BTW.
          I really, really don't want to be offensive here, but if you're using the air conditioner at 76 degrees F, you are part of the problem.

Climate change is not going to fix itself. We have to take this into our own hands. Part of that has to come at a governmental level, but we as residents of this planet have to make changes too. Part of that has to be moderation. We've all been living as if we have more than one planet, and we don't. Driving within walking distance, throwing out food, not turning off lights when we're not in the room, taking long showers, eating too much meat, treating clothing like it's disposable, cranking up the heat, and yes, overusing AC all contribute to the problem. Governments have failed to address climate change, but most of us regular folks have also failed to address climate change. We bear just as much responsibility, I think.

For the record, I like things warm. It is 10 degrees C out today. I am cold. My heat is not on.

Comment

Global warming would have been solved but anunitu had to go screw it up for all of us.

Comment

I don't mean just him, and I kind of feel bad because I don't really want to pick on him. I just mean that we all need to think about our own actions more, and I thought his comment on using air conditioning was a good example to pick up on. A lot of us think that our individual actions don't matter in the context of climate change, but they really, really do. They add up, and even though countries like China are huge emitters, developed Western countries are by far the largest emitters per capita (and one could argue that consumption in the West is one of the largest drivers of emissions in China...they're emitting all that carbon making the things that we buy). Yes, it's VERY important that governments take action, but it's also VERY important that we take action as individuals. We can't keep doing things the way we've been doing and expect things to change. We have to start thinking about the energy we use and the way we consume things and ask ourselves if our habits aren't part of the problem. Because in a lot of cases, they are.

Comment

It depends--as someone living in a newer construction, the "tightness" of buildings combined with the energy efficiency of a brand new HVAC unit, running the AC means that I actually use less electricity than running a couple of fans. Also, our windows lack screens...this makes open windows a problem of letting indoor cats out and mosquitos, biting midges, and biting flies (we have several species of all three) in.

Plus, it keeps down the asthma attacks.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I once worked in a building that would get up into the 80's when the outside temp was only in the upper 60's. It was awful!
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental. Also, it occurred to me that I don't know what the energy situation is like where he lives. I get on my parents' case for having AC*, but at the end of the day, their town is 100% hydro powered, which isn't really big in terms of emissions.

It's just sort of different here, too. Power is WAY WAY WAY too expensive in Europe to use AC. We have mosquitoes too (large evil ones that get you in the night), and we have huge humidity issues, but we just crack open windows and wait for the heat waves to pass. I guess a lot of people here would use them if they could afford to, but they can't. So they don't. Anyway, my issue isn't with using AC at all, it's with using it when it's only slightly above room temperature in the room. If it's above 90, by all means, let it run for a while, but if it's below 80, not so much.

Also, I kind of regret making the comment in the first place, because as I mentioned in my previous post, it's not really about that. It's about the fact that the original post talks about suing governments as a solution to climate change when the average person is doing little (if anything) to change their own habits.

and for the record, for having it at all...they live in the Pacific Northwest and it's just not that hot there. Even when I visited last summer during one of the biggest heat records ever recorded, I didn't feel the desire to have it once, and I frequently felt cold due to overuse of AC in public buildings. I honestly don't know how people don't get sick there. Air conditioned air is absolutely no substitute for fresh air, and cold air when it's hot out made me and my boyfriend miserable and sniffly.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    I once worked in a building that would get up into the 80's when the outside temp was only in the upper 60's. It was awful!
                    Almost none of our offices have AC. It can get miserable for a few weeks in July, but it's not the worst, either.

Comment

To be honest, being from the Gulf Coast, I sometimes smirk a little bit when I hear about "heat and humidity" from Northerners when it's only 80 degrees.

Comment

I live in NJ,and the summers are hot,BUT also I am 69 years old,and I will break the bad news to all you young kids..You do NOT deal with hot or cold the same as when you are younger. Heads up,you may not enjoy your golden years as much as you think you will. Some of you may be 20-30 years away from where I am now.
                        Repeat stuff you say now,when you get to my age.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Gotcha.

Anyway, I'm sorry. My point was that lawsuits against governments aren't going to fix the climate problem. Getting the government to act can help, but unless we are willing to make changes in our own lives (even if they sometimes feel inconvenient or uncomfortable at first), we're not going to fix anything.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            I live in NJ,and the summers are hot,BUT also I am 69 years old,and I will break the bad news to all you young kids..You do NOT deal with hot or cold the same as when you are younger. Heads up,you may not enjoy your golden years as much as you think you will. Some of you may be 20-30 years away from where I am now.
                            Repeat stuff you say now,when you get to my age.
                            Very true! The extremes feel much more extreme the older you get.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            Gotcha.

Anyway, I'm sorry. My point was that lawsuits against governments aren't going to fix the climate problem. Getting the government to act can help, but unless we are willing to make changes in our own lives (even if they sometimes feel inconvenient or uncomfortable at first), we're not going to fix anything.
                            The environment was part of my decision not to add any humans to it. This makes my footprint permanently smaller than most.
                            Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 14 Mar 2016, 11:12.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thing is I will not be around for the duration to see the full impact of global warming/climate change,and when younger I did my part not to screw things up. The subject came up in the early 70's,and no one seemed concerned enough to do anything(BTW,that is where Earth day came about)

If people had taken it to heart way back then,we would not be in the deep do do we are now.(I think it died because everyone(well almost everyone) became yuppys.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X