Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Re: Finally a way to provide hope for Action on climate change?

To be honest, being from the Gulf Coast, I sometimes smirk a little bit when I hear about "heat and humidity" from Northerners when it's only 80 degrees.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I live in NJ,and the summers are hot,BUT also I am 69 years old,and I will break the bad news to all you young kids..You do NOT deal with hot or cold the same as when you are younger. Heads up,you may not enjoy your golden years as much as you think you will. Some of you may be 20-30 years away from where I am now.
    Repeat stuff you say now,when you get to my age.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Gotcha.

Anyway, I'm sorry. My point was that lawsuits against governments aren't going to fix the climate problem. Getting the government to act can help, but unless we are willing to make changes in our own lives (even if they sometimes feel inconvenient or uncomfortable at first), we're not going to fix anything.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    I live in NJ,and the summers are hot,BUT also I am 69 years old,and I will break the bad news to all you young kids..You do NOT deal with hot or cold the same as when you are younger. Heads up,you may not enjoy your golden years as much as you think you will. Some of you may be 20-30 years away from where I am now.
    Repeat stuff you say now,when you get to my age.
    Very true! The extremes feel much more extreme the older you get.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Gotcha.

Anyway, I'm sorry. My point was that lawsuits against governments aren't going to fix the climate problem. Getting the government to act can help, but unless we are willing to make changes in our own lives (even if they sometimes feel inconvenient or uncomfortable at first), we're not going to fix anything.
    The environment was part of my decision not to add any humans to it. This makes my footprint permanently smaller than most.
    Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 14 Mar 2016 at 11:12.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Thing is I will not be around for the duration to see the full impact of global warming/climate change,and when younger I did my part not to screw things up. The subject came up in the early 70's,and no one seemed concerned enough to do anything(BTW,that is where Earth day came about)

If people had taken it to heart way back then,we would not be in the deep do do we are now.(I think it died because everyone(well almost everyone) became yuppys.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Yeah, but since we can't change the past, we have to take action ourselves to change the future. Both the state and individuals have roles to play.

BTW, where I grew up, we weren't so wasteful either when I was a kid. I come from a well-off family, but we still handed down our toys and clothes (I was luckily the eldest, though I still got second hand things when we got them). We walked everywhere around the neighbourhood, reused things, and there wasn't much packaging back then. I still think we have a responsibility to change how things are now, though, because they're insane. Sometimes the stuff I see just blows my mind away. Like, dishwasher tabs in individual wrapping...jeez. And the life cycle of clothes. Like, how do more people not think about the amount of clothes they buy and then toss? We've become so stupidly wasteful in such a short period of time. It wasn't ideal before and this was coming on long before my time, but I don't think we have a hope unless we address the way we're currently doing things.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

The term "disposable lifestyle" became a term even back in the 60's Used to be if something broke,you got it fixed...these days it cost more to fix it than to buy a new one..

- - - Updated - - -

My MIL had a toaster she got back in the late 30's,and in 1986 ,it stopped working...she bought a NEW one that died after about a year...so go figure

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

It's really irritating, too, because in a lot of respects a lot of modern electronics and appliances run a lot more efficiently than older ones (though, that depends entirely on what it is...judging by the voltage listings, my old sewing machine and stereo don't suck up more electricity than newer ones). But, the fact that they don't tend to last as long really negates that effect.

My sewing machine and stereo are amazing. They're both from the 70s and if something breaks, they're totally fixable. I don't want a new sewing machine. Even if you spent over a thousand dollars, that money won't buy you as good of a machine as an older model that costs less than half of that price. Most new machines use plastic parts, which aren't all that durable, and since sewing machines take a lot of wear and tear, that matters a lot.

Clothes bother me a lot. I can't say that I've noticed a huge change in quality of clothing...in my lifetime, cheap clothing was always pretty poorly made. I wasn't around in the 60s and 70s, but I doubt that clothes were better made then. A lot of my vintage clothes are, but obviously after so much time, only quality clothing will last. The cheap, badly made clothes from then are in dumpsters and rag bins, not vintage stores. What I have noticed over my lifetime is how people's buying habits have changed. When I was growing up, we got a few new pieces each season (as in, fall, winter, spring, summer) and mostly wore our old clothes until they wore out. Clothes used to be a bit more expensive and we couldn't afford to just randomly try on every trend that came along and throw things out when we got bored with them. Now, it's just insane. I see people coming out of Primark with like three giant shopping bags full of clothes. And not just some people — tons of people. And the clothing donation bins in my neighbourhood have piles in front of them, because they can't fit all of the clothes that people get rid of. When I volunteered sorting donations for a refugee home, the amount of sheer clothing was unbelievable. Like, there was so much that even the home couldn't deal with it all. They just didn't need that much clothing. Most homes are trying to actively discourage people from donating clothes. If there are so many clothes in circulation that you can't even donate them in a crisis situation, you know there's a problem.

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Norse Pagan (self taught - looking for more traditions)

I have to say - I live on a carers pension just as a BTW - about 80% of the stuff in my kitchen is stuff my family didn't want any more - I wear my clothes till they are literally unwearable ( I had to throw one of my favorite t-shirts out recently because after a wash it had a 2 inch diameter hole in it - that's not practically repairable for me.) I use energy efficient light bulbs, had tile floors put in when the carpet wore out, have 2 hand me down computer screens, the only tv I own is a hand me down 3- out of my 5 book cases are hand me down half or more of my hardcopy books are second hand. Half my books are e-book (smaller footprint) and am thinking of publishing as E-book only for footprint reasons ( although ink/paper smell reasons might convince me to release as POD). I try to do my part The only real extravagance I let myself have is a new computer every 18 months and even then I hand the old one down to a friend or thier kid that needs it I do have a car but I really do need it for work and in case I have to take my partner to hospital, so I don't qualify that as an 'extravagance'

Also it specifies that they aren't suing for money in the article, they are suing for action on the problem

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I realize they're suing for action. I just don't think it will solve the problem.

Obviously, a lot of people here on this board are doing their part for the environment. Pagans generally lean towards the greener end of the spectrum. By "we," I meant the general public. If individuals do not make changes, it's not going to work, no matter how much legislation governments bring in.