This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make America great - for everybody!

It's time for the US to look at the rest of the world, and see what really, really makes a country great...

These Are The Happiest Countries In The World: The U.S. ranked #13. And Bernie Sanders feels great about #1.

Not just for the fatcats and wannabe elites, but for everybody.

The answer is not exclusion and economic terrorism as preached by people running for office.

Other countries have already conducted the experiments, and, in the name of intellectual honesty and realism, we need to look at the results of those experiments and base our policies on those results, rather than on crap theory that doesn't actually match reality.

Why do people insist on stupidity when another option - learning - is available?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Make America great - for everybody!

I can't agree more, and I'd say the same goes for other countries as well. Sometimes we spend so much time delving into the politics of fear that we forget what we do well, and we forget that certain countries do other things well. Here in Germany, I feel like we spend so much time looking at what other EU countries do wrong that we forget to look at what other EU countries do right (and the ones that do a lot of things right are so much more similar to us in terms of culture).

Comment

Would you look at that? I thought we had travelled down that list, people are always complaining about everyone else doing better than us... according to the danish media, Denmark is one of the most hated countries at the moment.

and why people insist on stupidity? Learning takes effort, and a will to learn. 'Ignorance is bliss', who would want to leave their blissful ignorance... maybe.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
        Would you look at that? I thought we had travelled down that list, people are always complaining about everyone else doing better than us... according to the danish media, Denmark is one of the most hated countries at the moment.

and why people insist on stupidity? Learning takes effort, and a will to learn. 'Ignorance is bliss', who would want to leave their blissful ignorance... maybe.
        I can't speak for every country in Europe, but Germans hold Denmark highly. Canada does as well. I think that your current government isn't popular with other Europeans, but your social systems and people are well liked.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I can't speak for every country in Europe, but Germans hold Denmark highly. Canada does as well. I think that your current government isn't popular with other Europeans, but your social systems and people are well liked.
          They're not popular with danes either, but neither was the last one... it's not the government bit the politicians that are the problem. Too busy screaming 'the others are wrong' to stop and think about... well... anything.
          Yea, our systems are pretty good, compared to some others. I never really understood much of the american system, school and healthcare especially... it's hard to comprehend, having gown up with free healthcare and education.
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I never really understood much of the american system, school and healthcare especially... it's hard to comprehend, having gown up with free healthcare and education.
            If you have money, you are a "true American." If you don't, you are a burden to society, and should just go away or die and get it over with. That's really all you need to know...

It sucks, but that's how it goes..
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Other countries have already conducted the experiments, and, in the name of intellectual honesty and realism, we need to look at the results of those experiments and base our policies on those results, rather than on crap theory that doesn't actually match reality.

Why do people insist on stupidity when another option - learning - is available?
              Really. I mean look at Denmark. They are focused on migrant integration, notably insuring that they have a working knowledge of the Danish language and culture. There is also a concerted effort to combat ghettos and ghettoization and to encourage labor market participation. Actions which are/would be seen as racist and horrible if and when we do them.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Here is a place that actual reality should beat out idiot theory:

Comment

Lets look at Denmark... The tax to GDP ratio is 48.9%. They have the highest tax rate in the world. Free speech and press exists only as long as the courts agree. Religious freedom is only protected for Islam according to 266b of the criminal code and a judgment made by a district court in 2013 it was acceptable for a local Imam to berate Jews and the Jewish religion but speaking about the "ideology" of Islam (not the religion) was worthy of a conviction and fine. There are few cars in Denmark but more bicycles than people. Well, with nearly 50% of your money going to taxes and having to import most food products there are very few people who can afford a car.

So the people of Denmark are happy. I think that is wonderful, if it is true. I will take free over happy every time.
                  The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                  I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

They're not popular with danes either, but neither was the last one... it's not the government bit the politicians that are the problem. Too busy screaming 'the others are wrong' to stop and think about... well... anything.
                    That reminds me of British politics for the last 30 years lol
                    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                    But that day you know I left my money
                    And I thought of you only
                    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but except for Canada and Australia, their racial population is mostly made up of well, themselves. Their immigration numbers are tiny. Hive minds make happy minds. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                        Lets look at Denmark... The tax to GDP ratio is 48.9%. They have the highest tax rate in the world. Free speech and press exists only as long as the courts agree. Religious freedom is only protected for Islam according to 266b of the criminal code and a judgment made by a district court in 2013 it was acceptable for a local Imam to berate Jews and the Jewish religion but speaking about the "ideology" of Islam (not the religion) was worthy of a conviction and fine. There are few cars in Denmark but more bicycles than people. Well, with nearly 50% of your money going to taxes and having to import most food products there are very few people who can afford a car.

So the people of Denmark are happy. I think that is wonderful, if it is true. I will take free over happy every time.
                        Ok. First off, and this is important, don't trust everything you read in the media. Second. I'm currently sitting about 20 kilometers from Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark (the point of this being I am in Denmark. Have been for the past 23 years).
                        The taxes I won't disagree with. They're high, we know. What is not mentioned is that those taxes ensure free healthcare and school for us, hell! young people at university actually get payed to study,not much, rarely enough to pay our rent, but enough that we can focus on studying over working. Our taxes pay for that. Unemployed get payed from the state, noone will be left without an income without choosing it - they also get very intensive help and guidance looking for jobs and improving qualifications.
                        Nursing homes are free, so is any help elders might need in their own home. Our taxes pay that. They also pay research into vital areas like enviorment and illness. They support youth clubs, local sports teams and private initiatives into integration and helping kids from difficult backgrounds. Just to mention some things.

Next up: no cars. Well. Have you seen the size of the country? We don't need cars. We are 5-6 million people. We would all fit snugly in Paris. It takes me 5 hours to cross the country by train. I'd say 8 by car. And our public transport (despite how much we whine about it, and that's a lot) is very good... we use bikes a lot, and we're F*ing proud of it, because why shouldn't we? It's good for the enviorment. Why take the car if you can walk or take your bike?... but we do have cars. They're expensive to buy, yes. But not impossible. It's not because we can't afford them we don't have them. We may not have money for the newest model. But even I could afford a car if I wanted. My profession? Actor. Aka unemployed. I grew up in a working class family, but we always had a car. Most of my life we had 2.
                        The food? Expensive if you buy the wrong stuff. There are higher taxes on unhealthy food in an attempt to make the healthy cheaper. But we get by ^^.

As for the imam, do you have a source? Because it goes against everything I know about my home. But I don't know the particular case so I won't make comments on it without being sure.
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Lets look at Denmark... The tax to GDP ratio is 48.9%... There are few cars in Denmark but more bicycles than people. Well, with nearly 50% of your money going to taxes and having to import most food products there are very few people who can afford a car.
                          UK tax to GDP ratio is not far off at 39% and our salary averages 3,000EUR net a year less than Denmark, so that doesn't stack up that people can't afford a car. Furthermore, 9 out of 10 Danes own a bicycle, and they're healthier for it http://www.cycling-embassy.dk/facts-about-cycling-in-denmark/statistics/ so I'm also not sure where you got this "more bicycles than people" unless you're talking about ones in stores unsold, which doesn't really mean anything.

They have the highest tax rate in the world. Free speech and press exists only as long as the courts agree. Religious freedom is only protected for Islam
                          Not true at all. Denmark does not have separation of Church and State, so the Christian Church of Denmark is very much protected, whilst ritual slaughter (kosher and halal) is banned in Denmark as of 2014.

according to 266b of the criminal code
                          What?

"(1) Any person who publicly or with the intention of dissemination to a wide circle of people makes a statement or imparts other information threatening, insulting or degrading a group of persons on account of their race, colour, national or ethnic origin, belief or sexual orientation, shall be liable to a fine, simple detention or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years."
                          (2) When handing down the punishment, it is to be considered as an aggravating circumstance that the statement is in the nature of propaganda."

Nothing about special treatment for Muslims there, mate.

and a judgment made by a district court in 2013 it was acceptable for a local Imam to berate Jews and the Jewish religion but speaking about the "ideology" of Islam (not the religion) was worthy of a conviction and fine.
                          Source for this please?

What's the point in being free if you're poor and miserable?

Meanwhile, financially, there is little difference. Their salaries are a little above the US, matching the fact that their housing prices are a little above US too. I think you're making a great fuss over nothing.

You also clearly do not appreciate the level and quality of healthcare and public transport etc that can be expected with higher taxes. The fact that 10% of the US population has no health insurance, because it's so expensive, makes me wonder just how "free" you guys really are.

Comment

Briton all your post is white text. Can't read a thing.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Briton all your post is white text. Can't read a thing.
                              Sorry, had a formatting issue with copy-pasted text. Sorted now.

Comment

Working...
                              X