Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things That Are Racist

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
    Slavery was such a dark time in our American history, that flag was flown by the south who wanted to retain the use and mistreatment of slaves.
    ...And the US flag wasn't flown by people with dark intentions? America as a WHOLE has a vast and colorful history of terrible things. Black slavery in the south is just scratching the surface.

It wasn't the south alone that tried their best to snuff out native american language and culture. Nor was it the south alone that sent more than a hundred thousand Japanese-Americans to internment camps, or branded the Irish as second class citizens, or massacred civilians in the Vietnam war, or made corporations legally people, or caused one of the worst economic crises of our nation's history with predatory loans.

All this vitriol is nothing more than hypocritical scapegoating.

Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

It doesn't even have to be set against red and white. If you publicly display the symbol at all, even sideways by itself, you can get in trouble. It's not always prison, though. Sentences range from fines to three years in prison depending on the context.

There are some exceptions, too. It's allowed to be used in theatre and film depicting that period in history, for example. It can also be printed for research or education purposes (for example, you can have pictures of it in historical books).

Comment

I don't get the KKK's logic. I'm going to wave the American flag. Yet I'm going to do this hand motion that signals that I believe in this dude that was pretty much about everything anti American in nature.

I mean. And do this while I wear a sheet.

The KKK are complete and utter idiots.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          ...And the US flag wasn't flown by people with dark intentions? America as a WHOLE has a vast and colorful history of terrible things. Black slavery in the south is just scratching the surface.
          This is true, and to deny it would be a terrible thing.

However, we do have a theory of government that is better than our actions, and the general trend, over time, as been to come closer and closer to that theory. To deny that would also be a terrible thing. We cannot change the past, but we can change the future - by being different in the present (the only place we actually are).

Human beings will never be perfect - they just don't come in that flavor - but as long as they are working toward "better" they should get credit for the effort... and any successes they have along the way.

We are now engaged in a great political war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so concieved and so dedicated, can long endure.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Saw a program about the American bunds that had a flag that combined US flag with Nazi flag.

Pic from Bund meeting.

Good series from history channel

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the youtube video of the history channel program.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiv2ujvfmmY
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

This is probably gonna get me accused of being a racist but I know what I am - and it's not that. I hate everyone equally. If you argue with me when I'm trying to do my job and kick your drunk ass out of the pub I'm working at I'll put you down for a one week ban. if you accuse me of being a racist because I'm white and you have some aboriginal blood, I'll put you down for a two week ban for racism. If you Call me a 'white c--- Jesus" while I'm kicking you out I'll add a month to that ban for being offensively racist. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I don't care about having my color thrown in my face as an excuse for you to behave badly. Also the insistence that a monument to someone 200 years ago who may or may not have been racist because it glorifies 'white folk' ( I think the most interesting one here is the Aboriginals who tried to get Governor Macquaries statue taken down, when he was the only colonial Governor who insisted that if a farmer shot an aboriginal he was to be hung, and if an aboriginal speared a farmer he was to be hung - you know kill someone and I'll hang you I don't care about the relative color of your skin!) is in and of itself a racist act. It is also a form of appalling revisionist history which is NEVER a good idea.

In short I'm sick of racism being discussed as a one way issue. I don't care about how it was in the past (and am willing to say segregation, aparthied ect WERE horrible) but 2 wrongs dont make a right and neither does trying to change history to make people feel better. Best case we won't learn from the mistakes of the past and will make them again. Worst case it we will use the 'justification' of past treatment of group A by group B to treat group B as bad or worse than group B ever treated group A

Comment

Still think you got it pretty good compared to your average aborginal dude.

Comment

Kat Blaque did a pretty good video on this a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSoy4aC8sJQ

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    Kat Blaque did a pretty good video on this a while back
                    Started out promising. Racism is not prejudice, racism is an ideology... Then she starts going into describing oppression and calling it racism.

Racism is the belief that at least one race is superior to at least one other race, or prejudice/antagonism toward a particular race. Black people can absolutely be racist. Anyone can.

I am sick and tired of tumblrites trying to redefine racism because they find the terms whiterarchy and racial oppression to be too unwieldy.

Even if you accept that black people, at least those in america, can't be racist. They can be chauvinists, prejudiced, discriminatory, bigoted, hateful, and proponents of racial supremacy.

Such as this woman, who ticks off quite a few of such.

I am an individualist, my actions are my own and no one else's. We are never going to move past racism until we can see people for who they are and not what they are. She, and her arguments, are part of the problem. Judging people not on an individual's actions and character, but rather on the actions and character of people who look kind of like them. That is absolutely a form of racism in my eyes.

TL;DR Not only can black people absolutely be racist, I'd go so far as to say that she would be a great example of that in action.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I don't have a problem with someone being racist. I have a problem with someone in power and being racist. And it's usually not of the brown people. So there's that. Eventually sure, we will all be racist and have power. But till then it's pretty eh..one sided.

We really can't change that about history.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        I don't have a problem with someone being racist. I have a problem with someone in power and being racist. And it's usually not of the brown people. So there's that. Eventually sure, we will all be racist and have power. But till then it's pretty eh..one sided.

We really can't change that about history.
                        But then doesn't that also depend upon local? In the US I would agree in general, non-white's tend to get a harder time of it. Yet go outside the US and a lot of that shifts. Been to many a port during my time in the military and white's were not the power base and sure didn't have the upper hand. Known a few Mexican's over the years who've also told me whites don't hold a lot of influence or power in Mexico either. So this notion of racism and such is really defined in application by where one is at even within the borders of the US.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                          But then doesn't that also depend upon local? In the US I would agree in general, non-white's tend to get a harder time of it. Yet go outside the US and a lot of that shifts. Been to many a port during my time in the military and white's were not the power base and sure didn't have the upper hand. Known a few Mexican's over the years who've also told me whites don't hold a lot of influence or power in Mexico either. So this notion of racism and such is really defined in application by where one is at even within the borders of the US.
                          Actually in Mexico, white (light skinned) Mexicans dominate the music industry, the tv industry, the movie industry, the news industry....want me to stop?

Of course you go to some non white country well non whites aren't going to be the majority nor the one with power. That's like yeah Whites have no power in North Korea. That's a far flight to make a whites have no power argument, que no?

We can't change history. You are right. Which means...we really can't change how whites have been in power now can we. Whites got here in about 1600. Slavery just ended officially like 150 years ago. Nope. Cannot change what's really been going on.

Comment

Slavery just ended officially like 150 years ago. Nope. Cannot change what's really been going on.
                            A hundred years before that white americans fought off oppression by white britons, fifty years after that women were finally allowed to show their ankles when they went swimming.

Things change, and quickly. Up until recently the Irish weren't even considered white.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                              Still think you got it pretty good compared to your average aborginal dude.
                              Really? I live off the carer's pension and am constantly in fear of my partner having a seizure in which she hits her head and dies. I can only be away from home (or her) for 2-3 hours. I love her and that is why I am willing to make these sacrifices. Many of the harms in aboriginal life are communal mistakes that there is no will within their own community to address and strong will to prevent external help from entering their own community. The include endemic alcoholism, petrol sniffing and truancy. (please note I am using the local community as my example. not all are like this but many are) They also get higher govt. payments than I ever will simply for their heritage. (This is a form of racist restitution that I personally abhor - not because they get more money - but because it entrenches their 'other' status.) Their own community glorifies a lack of education which could uplift them.

Then there is the treatment they get in front of courts. One of them broke my nose for simply telling him to finish his drink and leave the pub because it was closing time. In court I found out it was his third drunken GBH (greivous bodily harm) offense. (any broken bone in NSW is a GBH, automatically.)Note if I'd had that record and was in front of the court I'd have gotten 5-10 years in jail. no question. That's what the prosecuter admitted to me after the case went through the 'circle court' system. This is a system where the local magistrate and 3 tribal elders decide on the punishment, with all 4 getting an equal vote on it, meaning that the Magistrate has to convince 2 tribal elders for any jail time. if it is a crime of a black man against a white man it NEVER happens. He was sentenced to 500 hours community service (which he never completed and was never punished for not completing), a 2 year ban from licensed premises, and a 2 year good behavior bond. Not even a suspended jail sentence. This is the sort of thing i'm against and why I have no trust in the law. As a side note when the radiologist looked at the x-ray for my nose they asked me what weapon I'd been hit by and were astonished to hear it was a fist - I have dense bone, and they were sure it was a metal pipe or something, and said I was lucky not to have pieces of bone in my brain. I'm all for total equality, but we have to stop treating people as the 'other' or it will never happen. I'm for death taxes to reduce inequality (despite the fact that my parents are well off, if they ever put me back into their will) Higher Social Service payments and special courts are not the answer. Accepting them as full, equal members of society IS. With all the problems and benefits of that designation.

Comment

Actually in Mexico, white (light skinned) Mexicans dominate the music industry, the tv industry, the movie industry, the news industry....want me to stop?

Of course you go to some non white country well non whites aren't going to be the majority nor the one with power. That's like yeah Whites have no power in North Korea. That's a far flight to make a whites have no power argument, que no?

We can't change history. You are right. Which means...we really can't change how whites have been in power now can we. Whites got here in about 1600. Slavery just ended officially like 150 years ago. Nope. Cannot change what's really been going on.
                                But now your running that same old argument. Slavery existed in Central and South America long before any whites came. Civilizations as a whole rose and fell through out the world long before any whites set foot on the soil. Lighter skin versus darker skin has also existed long before "Whites" arrived in the local area. it's been present in Central and South America, present in Africa, present in Asia, heck think it's still present somewhat in aboriginal peoples. The slavery issue also tends to ignore the whole world history of one people enslaving another or who actually captured and sold which people to whom.

So because light skinned dominate an area in politics and visual industries doesn't mean it's because they are closer to being white. Historically they have dominated visual or power points all along. But it's a nice argument to ensure a victim complex and justification for it. It's about as truthful as people stating the Roman Empire was ruled by white's while ignoring the Ceasar's who were clearly African and rose to power.

That to me is the biggest issue with the usage of the racism card. Have to first forget ones own history and influences as a people, nation, country, etc and lay it all at the foot of the 1600's explorations. Those bad European's who enslaved all those people of color or exploited all those people of color.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X