This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacred Space

So I will be participating in an ADF ritual for Ostara on Tuesday and we are using the Norse hearth culture for the ritual. I don't have much experience with the Norse gods or culture. In Celtics tradition the name of sacred space is Nemeton. Do you have a name for your sacred space? And if so what is it? I would like to be as prepared as possible and I feel it would be more respectful to know as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm on my so forgive typos
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: Sacred Space

I don't know much about Heathen traditions, but I thought this was interesting:

How To Create A Sacred Space In Your Home
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
      So I will be participating in an ADF ritual for Ostara on Tuesday and we are using the Norse hearth culture for the ritual. I don't have much experience with the Norse gods or culture. In Celtics tradition the name of sacred space is Nemeton. Do you have a name for your sacred space? And if so what is it? I would like to be as prepared as possible and I feel it would be more respectful to know as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm on my so forgive typos
      The concept of creating sacred space for ritual is a fairly modern one where Heathenry is concerned. Traditionally, there were temples and private altars and sacred groves, but you didn't create sacred space the way we do now. Modern Heathen and NT faiths have adopted some techniques from other pagan paths for creating sacred space, partially because our living arrangements and access to temples and wild places is so different to that of our ancestors!

Creating sacred space is called 'hallowing' and it's often done nowdays using a heavily modified version of a LBRP using a Thorr's hammer and associated chant/blessing, or by casting a circle of runes. the alter is called a 'hof', and traditionally it was often a community building that was used for group rituals, though we can't rule out personal shrines and altars. Nowdays it's used for shrine/altar/ritual room/temporary sacred space. The priest/priestess is called the 'godhi' or 'gydhja' respectively.

Generally Odhinn, Freyr and Thor are (and were) the primary dieties called upin, but there may be female counterparts for our modern cencepts of balance and PC. There will probably be 'sumbl', where you pass around a drinking vessel and make toasts (there may be a few rounds of this where you toast different people... gods, ancestors, family, friends, the hosts, each other etc) and 'blot', which is traditionally a sacrifice and blood annointing but is modernly a libation and shared feast. Some will give gifts, but that would be less likely in a public ritual.

A big Heathen ritual is normally about honoring the gods, honoring the ancestors and strengthening and celebrating the community bonds (hence the toasting, drinking and feasting). Modern ones are sometimes paganised in a general sense, with the circle casting, inviting gods the be present, group magick, divination etc. Traditionally those had their own rituals. But if you keep in mind the big three... gods, ancestors, community... you wont offend the gods and shouldnt offend the people!

Comment

So we have the three hallows. ADF has the well, fire and the tree. I know we are calling upon Thor as the gatekeeper. I just wasn't sure if you v allen your raced space something. Thank you Rae'ya.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Just one in my house. My "work room" is where I have my altar and shrines, and where I do my spiritual work.
          “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

A book I did some meditations on Runes with suggested the easiest possible way to create sacred space (besides very simple banishing methods) is to light a candle or two, incense of your choice and taking three deep breaths for an in count of 5 and an exhale of 10 (double the amount of time on the exhale compared to the inhale, you may or may not hold your breath). This helps me settle my brain and body and relaxes me. After words you invoke the Runes or pray or give a petition. Very simple and very effective.

Sometimes I just walk around in a circle and say some magical things and draw magical symbols in the air, or spin like a Whirling Dervish. Anything you do to get into a sacred mindset creates sacred space. Physical cleanliness is always good, especially for spirit work.

Comment

This blog from Huginns Heathen Hof is worth a read

Comment

^ Awesome article. Thanks for sharing.
                “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Comment

Working...
                X