Burning herbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning herbs?

I have small charcoal discs I use for rock incense, and burn it in a brass container. For burning herbs, what herbs and in what form are they burned, i.e. dried like a bottle of McCormick's sage or basil? Is it true oregano smells like weed? Are they burned the same way as the incense on a charcoal disc? A local New Age-type store has small bundles of sage that I think you light and waft around the house. You'll have to excuse me because I'm totally ignorant on practices like this.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Burning herbs?

I've actually been thinking about that too!
    I grow herbs in my kitchen, but I'm not sure how I would go about burning them.
    Sage I can answer, yep the bundles are for wafting around at least that's what the guy in my occult bookstore does.
    Mind if I add a question? Can you burn fresh herbs or is that just gonna turn into a stinky hot mess?
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I would use dried herbs on the charcoal disks - either the ones for burning incense, or for keeping your hookah going, or the charcoal grill real charcoal (not compressed lumps), which ever you get cheapest.

Sage (and sage-ish plants, like wormwood) have a lot of oils in them that will keep them going at a smolder, if you wave them about. Be careful of resins, like pine gum and pine needles, or birch bark, "cause they'll cause a conflagration - although it will be a pleasant smelling disaster.

Experiment with different herbs outside first. Some (mint) don't smell nearly as good as you'd imagine. If you try fresh herbs, most likely they'll stink - but run the experiment... outside.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I buy dried herbs and us them on charcoal discs. They make a good bit of smoke. I have put powdered resin on mine too.

Comment

I was also thinking of asking at the store about herbs other than the sage bundles they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ula View Post
          I buy dried herbs and us them on charcoal discs. They make a good bit of smoke. I have put powdered resin on mine too.
          Any particular ones that are better than others? Do they all have a particular purpose, or its just preference for the aromas?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
            I was also thinking of asking at the store about herbs other than the sage bundles they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Any particular ones that are better than others? Do they all have a particular purpose, or its just preference for the aromas?
            I use Mugwort to remove negativity. I use Mugwort and Yarrow for dreaming. I have a money drawing one for my husbands shop that is Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger and Brown Sugar. I have used Frankincense, Myrrh and Sandalwood for a total, no holds barred cleaning of everything. I have done White Sage, Freya incense I made and one to draw the dead. I don't usually burn for smell. It's almost always for a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
              I use Mugwort to remove negativity. I use Mugwort and Yarrow for dreaming. I have a money drawing one for my husbands shop that is Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger and Brown Sugar. I have used Frankincense, Myrrh and Sandalwood for a total, no holds barred cleaning of everything. I have done White Sage, Freya incense I made and one to draw the dead. I don't usually burn for smell. It's almost always for a purpose.
              I was going to ask about spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, etc. So I guess the powder won't explode like flour will (don't throw flour on a fire... KABOOM!). The rock incense (that's what I call it) is frankincense and myrrh. One time I got carried away and put so much on the charcoal the house looked like an opium den with all the smoke. My step-daughter came in from work coughing and said "jeez! what the hell did you do!?" Uh, I got a little heavy-handed.

Tbh, I have virtually no sense of smell (which is why I probably overdid the frankincense and myrrh :rofl. Doing this is mostly for cleansing the atmosphere and energies. I'm big on bells too. They're all over the house.

Comment

Please be careful with the herbs you burn. Some of them are poisonous if you burn and inhale the fumes.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                  Please be careful with the herbs you burn. Some of them are poisonous if you burn and inhale the fumes.
                  Good point!

Comment

I did not know that,and a good thing to keep in mind...
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                      Good point!
                      Some can also be hallucinogenic, so just be mindful of what you burn.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                        Some can also be hallucinogenic, so just be mindful of what you burn.
                        "You just wanna suck the joy out of everything" - Rocket Raccoon.

:rofl:

Thanks, will keep in mind also. :nod:

Comment

I tend to burn with the windows open even in winter. It helps move the smoke around and air itself. That helps to keep it from getting too crazy.

Comment

Working...
                          X