Spiritual Downsizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Downsizing

I'm about to have a lot less room, which means that I won't have the room for the larger shrines I have now, which means I'll have to get rid of some of the things on them to make them smaller.

My question is, what should I do with the stuff I'm having to discard for space? I don't want to just throw them away, as they're items dedicated to a specific god. Putting them in storage doesn't seem respectful, either. A friend suggested I give them away to someone who would want an item that is dedicated to that specific god (or other entity). What do you guys think?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Spiritual Downsizing

I don't see anything wrong with putting it in storage respectfully. Find a pretty container, wrap everything neatly, explain that you will be back for it, what have you.

Donating it to someone would be lovely too. Depending on the items, you could make some sort of craft out of it and turn it into a really cool gift.
    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I don't see a problem with storage either, as long as you don't just throw it all in a random box and give it a good shake to mess it up ^^ as with so much else I think it's about intention. If you want to do it respectfully, you will.

Donating it sounds good too, but of course only if it's something you wouldn't regret missing. But if it's something you're not too attached to, giving it to someone whom it might mean a lot to seems like a great idea.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
        I'm about to have a lot less room, which means that I won't have the room for the larger shrines I have now, which means I'll have to get rid of some of the things on them to make them smaller.

My question is, what should I do with the stuff I'm having to discard for space? I don't want to just throw them away, as they're items dedicated to a specific god. Putting them in storage doesn't seem respectful, either. A friend suggested I give them away to someone who would want an item that is dedicated to that specific god (or other entity). What do you guys think?
        Our entire ritual room went into storage and no one was offended. The only things that I've kept out of storage are the things that have spirits... my hides, my drum, my staff and Torey's familiar's fetish. Packing up the room and altars was done with intention, everything was carefully hand wrapped and packed far more neatly than some of the other rooms in the house, and it was known by our deities that we didn't have much choice in the matter. When we move into the new house they will be some of the first things that are unpacked.

Basically, storage isn't necessarily disrespectful... it can be done respectfully and with intent. But our situation may be different to yours... ours is a known finite length of time while our house is being built, longer than anticipated but still temporary. It's not 'put everything in storage for a few years while we get enough for a bigger house' sort of thing. If that's your situation then it might be best to donate them to other practitioners. Or you could un-consecrate them. Explain that you can't keep them all, you don't know when you'll be able to use them again and then ritually un-dedicate them or destroy them to send the energy off to the entity they are dedicated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          Basically, storage isn't necessarily disrespectful... it can be done respectfully and with intent. But our situation may be different to yours... ours is a known finite length of time while our house is being built, longer than anticipated but still temporary. It's not 'put everything in storage for a few years while we get enough for a bigger house' sort of thing. If that's your situation then it might be best to donate them to other practitioners. Or you could un-consecrate them. Explain that you can't keep them all, you don't know when you'll be able to use them again and then ritually un-dedicate them or destroy them to send the energy off to the entity they are dedicated to.
          That's kind of my thing: it's not a finite amount of time. I have no idea when (or even if) I'll have more space again. If I knew I was moving in a year, say, totally different.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Depending on the amount of downsizing you're looking at and your options for customizing your space and organizing, maybe finding some tasteful storage containers and a cabinet/shelf would be an option? Or an under-the-bed storage container that you can still keep in your immediate living proximity and take out for your practices/rituals/what-have-you.

I've been doing this for awhile now. I have a specific, small, cabinet that fits in my closet and is out of the way that is only used for items pertaining to my path. I've had no problems, no offenses, and I'm able to take everything out every so often to keep them in circulation.

Comment

Working...
            X