Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Conditioner

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Homemade Conditioner

Does anyone have recommendations for a homemade conditioner recipe? I've heard that using just diluted vinegar works, but that sounds like it'd strip your hair, rather than condition it. My hair turns to straw after I shampoo it, so I need a conditioner that actually makes my hair soft and sleek again.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Homemade Conditioner

Back in my day, people used beer. (On the hair, I mean )
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Back in my day, people used beer. (On the hair, I mean )
    I've seen some posts about using beer on the hair. Was that to rinse or wash or what?
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

As I remember it,beer was used as a shampoo.

Beer Shampoo and conditioner

Get your hair buzzed!!
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Don't waste fresh beer.

Save backwash after festive occasions for your hair.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Well, the first question is how are you washing it? ACV (apple cider vinegar) is great if you aren't using pH balanced shampoos (like back in my granny's childhood) because it neutralizes the basic nature of most soaps (it's why some soaps are considered gentler than others--gentle soaps tend to be closer to neutral. Beer is another one-and it does work, makes your hair shiny and have good body, as does apple cider (the real kind). There's also egg yolk or just an egg...make sure the water isn't too got or you'll have scrambled egg head, mayonnaise (essentially egg and oil, a number of oils (jojoba is the most like your head's natural oils, honey (I used the baking soda-herb infused acv-honey method when I was exclusively 'poo-less for two years)... There are some others that I'm forgetting, but all of them take some adjustment time and a few have a n experimentation process or a learning curve
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

because I have psoriasis of the scalp,I use a pine tar shampoo,better for me than a coal tar shampoo. Also does not mess with the hair it self in a negative way.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Agnostic

I've seen recipes with highly diluted gelatin. Never tried them, but it makes sense in theory.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by TxanGoddess View Post
    I've seen recipes with highly diluted gelatin. Never tried them, but it makes sense in theory.
    If you make soup from bones, you are basically making highly diluted flavored gelatin - which comes from boiled out bones, hoofs, hides, and other assorted non-edibles (it can be made of seaweed, but you have to pay extra for the vegetarian version).

So wash your hair in bone soup.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

My new go-to is coconut oil. I just put a few drops in when it's still wet after washing and it smooths out the fuzzy ends.

I've used the egg before (yolks for moisture and whites for oil pickup.... I think, or it's the other way around). It works really well. I've also heard that a mashed avocado used as a hair mask is a good conditioner too.

I only use produced shampoo about twice a month, if that, though so it may depend on what you're using to wash your hair.