No announcement yet.

Something that makes you feel stupid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Something that makes you feel stupid...

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    But by that logic then we should be spelling love as LUV because that was popular and pushed for a bit. We (collectively) justify dumbing down things, and the acceptance of them, because it was written in another way or people have become lazy. Use them correctly and your suddenly the dumb person in their eyes or the nerd which is sort of sad if you think about it.
    LUV didn't gain sufficiently long lasting and widespread acceptance. If it did then eventually it would become the dominant spelling. As cringeworthy as that is, language is a means to represent and communicate about ideas. It will change. We may not like any specific change and we may attempt to slow changes but if the phrasing you're using fails in its purpose of communicating with other people then its on you to either inspire change in everyone else or adapt your own language.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      Hm but doesn't that first infer your referring to a two dimensional drawing on a flat piece of paper? If someone is talking about a 3 dimensional location they can visit, ie upper world or lower world, celestial or chthonic worlds then it's not a flat piece of paper but a place. Normally it seems when I see the usage of "Plane" it's in reference to a location whether it be celestial, chthonic, upper world, lower world, etheral or astral or other such places.
      Three dimensionality is created by two intersecting planes. A cartesian plane is created with two intersecting lines. A line is created with two points. When you add to two intersecting planes to a continuum, you get space-time, the physics concept. But in Eculidian-space, you can have infinite planes intersecting and create (through vectors) more-than-3d-space.

It's the kind of math I can talk about, but I don't truly understand....

Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt most people are using it that way or have thought about it that much, I'm just saying I can understand why they would..
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        LUV didn't gain sufficiently long lasting and widespread acceptance. If it did then eventually it would become the dominant spelling. As cringeworthy as that is, language is a means to represent and communicate about ideas. It will change. We may not like any specific change and we may attempt to slow changes but if the phrasing you're using fails in its purpose of communicating with other people then its on you to either inspire change in everyone else or adapt your own language.
        Makes me want a lite beer.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The more beer you drink,the lighter it gets...known to also work for Ale and hard cider....
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I always type owkr on the laptop, not work. It's infuriating. I have to go back and change every time.
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

brain freeze...I get those too
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Three dimensionality is created by two intersecting planes. A cartesian plane is created with two intersecting lines. A line is created with two points. When you add to two intersecting planes to a continuum, you get space-time, the physics concept. But in Eculidian-space, you can have infinite planes intersecting and create (through vectors) more-than-3d-space.

It's the kind of math I can talk about, but I don't truly understand....

Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt most people are using it that way or have thought about it that much, I'm just saying I can understand why they would..
                Going way off topic but I though even if two lines intersect it's still two dimensional. Perhaps even three lines if you use a typical X & Y Grid and plot a cross line between two points with XY locations. Though to be honest I am not fully familiar with the other geometric aspects you mention. About the only one I have a little knowledge of is 6 maybe 7 points in free space to plot a location and plot a line to it. But I highly doubt that most people using plane are referring to it in that capacity.

Though it is sort of ironic I suppose in that that very notion of marking above, below, before, behind and to each side to locate a center consists of the 7 points in space that are needed to project to an 8th point across a great distance.

Now return to our regularly scheduled topic of things that make you feel stupid.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I've always been fascinated by physics, I even talked to UCL about a masters course they do in Spacecraft Design, but what thal wrote demonstrates it is NOT for me lol.

Comment

Sometimes some of the posts Thal makes when she's all sciencee and stuff. I'm like hold up, wait a minute, let me get my dictionary in it.

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Just because I want to play, but dunno nothin' 'bout plains/planes...

Affect vs. effect

"Affect" is a verb (an action), "effect" is a noun (thing).

If you are talking about doing something, use "affect": I will affect a change in your thinking.

If you are talking about the result, use "effect": The effect of that change will be different behavior.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

When I'm really tired, I spell English words with German spelling. Like with a "j" instead of a "y", or "k" instead of a "c". German isn't even my first language.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Affect vs. effect

If you are talking about doing something, use "affect": I will affect a change in your thinking.

If you are talking about the result, use "effect": The effect of that change will be different behavior.

...the part that makes me feel stupid is that next time I want to use either word, I'll remember this, but I'll be sure that I have them mixed up.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            ...the part that makes me feel stupid is that next time I want to use either word, I'll remember this, but I'll be sure that I have them mixed up.
                            Stop feeling stupid about this!

Everybody has to stop & think & double check before using either. Stupid only comes in if you don't care (I confuse them as well, and I also double check "there" and "their" - not because I don't know, but because I don't always do what I know)

I don't even spend time on affect/effect in high school. I'm still trying to get them to start sentences with a capital letter, and to end words with "s" or "'s" as necessary.

THAT is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Affect vs. effect

The problem is that reality is not so simple. Effect is also used as a verb, to mean 'to make something happen', whereas affect is a change or alteration.

Whilst you may say

"How does this affect you?"

You wouldn't say "The therapist managed to affect reconciliation." But "effect", as in bring it into effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                                The problem is that reality is not so simple. Effect is also used as a verb, to mean 'to make something happen, whereas affect is a change or alteration.

Whilst you may say

"How does this affect you?"

You wouldn't say "The therapist managed to affect reconciliation." But "effect", as in bring it into effect.
                                Yeah - English language exceptions are the very devil. In issues like this, I shoot for averages. My philosophy - get the general down, then look at specific exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                                X