I'm not a Henotheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a Henotheist

I told a friend today that I believed in many gods, not just one. And that I thought everyone went to the same afterlife. I also told him that I don't think god or the gods affect us, that they play no part in our human lives. He said I was a Henotheist. I researched the topic on wikipedia found here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism But after reading it this, it is nothing like I am, I think all the gods created the universe and they are all equal. I have had people think I'm christian because I believe in the afterlife, I have been called christian because I believe in a higher power, but this seems too much. I don't think one god is greater than the others and the next time I see my friend I'll tell him so. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: I'm not a Henotheist

Surely you're just a flavour of polytheist?
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by pillar View Post
      ...Anyone else have this problem?
      No, I'm an atheist - I have no problem with gods, just with god people
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The idea of henotheism started from the 19th century evolutionary theory of religion. They saw human ideas as evolving from animism through fetishism, polytheism, henotheism, and monotheism to Christianity or Atheism according to taste. None of that was actually based on evidence, of course, although travelers' tales could be quoted in support of the supposed existence of "survivals" of the stages.

Then you get the term used for people who believe that all gods are aspects of one god: some Hindu intellectuals and the Wiccans — the "Cunningham Diamond" idea.

Then you get it used for those, like the Greeks quoted in Wikipedia, who believe in a supreme being as well as other gods. The trouble with that usage is that it would apply to all African pagans, most Native Americans, Siberians, etc, etc. As Maximus of Tyre said, it's the commonest pagan/polytheist position.

Incidentally, why don't you thing the gods play a part in our lives? Experiences of them are very common.

Comment

I have "a problem" with fluctuating between agnostic-atheist-pantheist-animist but well, it's part of the trip anyway. But in the pagan world there's nowadays a label for everything. You could perhaps look into polytheist terminology and find if there's anything to suit you and then, if you wish, tell that friend of yours that you're not a henotheist but a ________.
          baah.

Comment

I just don't see their influence in my life, I never have. I know lots of people claim to have experiences but those could just be their imagination. I'm kind of a science fan and require something to be scientifically proven before I believe it, that's all. I'm probably missing out on a more spiritual lifestyle but that's a trade off I'm willing to make to stay intellectually sound.

Comment

Originally posted by pillar View Post
              I'm kind of a science fan and require something to be scientifically proven before I believe it, that's all. I'm probably missing out on a more spiritual lifestyle but that's a trade off I'm willing to make to stay intellectually sound.
              Yet despite this, you call yourself "Pagan"?

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                Weirdly, many pagans are like this. I'm a pagan atheist, so are others around here. That's a can o' worms you may not want to pop the top on
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There's always this bunch of pagans.

Humanistic Paganism, also called Naturalistic Paganism, is a unique Pagan orientation for those who are uncomfortable with or skeptical of the supernatural or metaphysical elements of contemporary Paganism. Individuals may use other self-descriptors, such as “Atheist Pagan”, “Atheist Witch”, “Pagan Humanist”, “Druid Naturalist”, etc. Humanistic Paganism has been described as Paganism without the “woo”. In affirmative terms, Humanistic Paganism is Paganism that is firmly rooted in the empirical world.
                  The website has plenty of resources + a nice blog if that sounds like your thing.
                  baah.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Weirdly, many pagans are like this. I'm a pagan atheist, so are others around here. That's a can o' worms you may not want to pop the top on
                    I dislike the utterly vague uses of "atheist" that means "doesn't believe in anything supernatural", and I don't recognize this meaningless and inaccurate definition, because that's not what atheist means.

Atheist, as defined by the OED:

A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

I don't believe in deities, I don't believe in gods

a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity

So, I'm an atheist. But I believe in spirits that inhabit the world, I believe in a sort of soul that goes on after death but which remains tied to this world. The way I see it, ancestors have offerings made to them on the basis that upon being buried, they join the earth and thus can determine the weather and climate, whether or not there will be glut or there will be famine.

Yeah, I think most people here are well acquainted with the "humanistic paganism" website, and humanism doesn't preclude the existence of the supernatural, it just changes the priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

If you require something to be scientifically proven to accept it exists, then that's just materialist philosophy. That's not paganism.

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                      There be an entire book on this very phenomenon and its diversity that will be available shortly.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh cheez whiz. Whatever. (responding to Briton)

Comment

If you have to explain way to much,most likely you are really not sure what you believe....Wait,wait,let me quote some people to explain what I believe in my heart of hearts...
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

"I believe it's time to go get beer and a video" - Corbin

Comment

Ahhhhhhh,so much truth,and so much beer...and the bathroom is so far away right now......
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X