Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Criminals Working At A Job

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Criminals Working At A Job

I know that there are some people who got a criminal history but do you think that business companies should hired criminals to work in their companies?

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Criminals Working At A Job

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know that there are some people who got a criminal history but do you think that business companies should hired criminals to work in their companies?
    If they don't, how are those x-convicts going to earn an honest living?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

This is exactly what should be done.

If they're entrusted with a job, then they will build the self confidence to stick at it once they get out in order to not commit, whilst also being occupied and having responsibility means they won't go crazy. Being cooped up is just a waste of tax payers money.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

It depends upon the job. Do I want a convicted child molester working at a pre school? No.
    Do I want a convicted dui dude working as a bus driver? Niet.
    Do I want a convicted grafitti vandal working at my tool store. I'd give them a shot.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

If convicts have no legal way to support themselves then they just commit more crimes out of necessity. As not all crimes merit death or indefinite detention, yes convicts need a way to work and earn a living when they get out of prison. Not all jobs necessarily need to be open but options need to exist.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

'Convicts' got caught, so they were not all that good at what they did. They went to gaol and society says they have paid their price. They HAVE to be reintegrated back into society whenever possible, although obviously not put into positions where they will be tempted to commit the same crime, although there are plenty of examples of poachers turned gamekeepers who have actually helped the police in later life because they know all the loopholes.

What I want to know is - How about all the people engaged in criminal activity who haven't got caught yet?
    Cos they are everywhere. And we don't (usually) know this.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    If convicts have no legal way to support themselves then they just commit more crimes out of necessity. As not all crimes merit death or indefinite detention, yes convicts need a way to work and earn a living when they get out of prison. Not all jobs necessarily need to be open but options need to exist.
    This.

Almost everyone deserves a second chance. I'm all in favour of justice systems that treat prisons as rehabilitation programs, not punishment programs. Part of rehabilitation is learning how to be a productive member of society.

I also agree with Tylluan that sometimes, convicts can be valuable in their former areas of crime. Along with her example, a lot of people who were convicted of cyber crimes or fraud have become valuable additions to cyber crimes and fraud units. They tend to know those areas well and know how people operate within them.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

All the research, all the evidence points to the same end. To reduce crime, poverty, etc., punishment does not work. Punishment, as punishment, perpetuates the problem.

People who are stuck in generational cycles need the opportunity to end that cycle.

I know how irritating this is to people like me who struggled through life, working through their education, or who are paying off huge student debt - then see people "rewarded" for committing a crime with what we sacrificed for.

Yes, we got the stinky end of the stick, but the solution to that injustice isn't more injustice.

We really need to start making societal decisions based on research, not revenge. We've tried revenge, and it just hasn't worked.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I remain neutral on this topic. There some criminals who can work on a job and there are some criminals who can't work because of their serious crimes that they committed.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

The other thing is that all of us make mistakes at some point. Most of us don't make mistakes that would involve breaking the law or going to jail, but we still make them. Should major mistakes ruin our lives? Shouldn't we be given the chance to learn from them and move on to a new chapter in our lives?

I don't know about you guys, but I've broken the law before. I've never done anything that would land me in jail, but I did some things that would give me some pretty hefty fines in my country (and a couple that would have landed me prison sentences in the US, although not here or in Canada). They're not things I'd do now. People often do stupid things when they're younger. Even if they go further than I ever did, I don't think that should ruin the rest of their lives.