Criminals Working At A Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminals Working At A Job

I know that there are some people who got a criminal history but do you think that business companies should hired criminals to work in their companies?

Re: Criminals Working At A Job

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know that there are some people who got a criminal history but do you think that business companies should hired criminals to work in their companies?
    If they don't, how are those x-convicts going to earn an honest living?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is exactly what should be done.

If they're entrusted with a job, then they will build the self confidence to stick at it once they get out in order to not commit, whilst also being occupied and having responsibility means they won't go crazy. Being cooped up is just a waste of tax payers money.
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

It depends upon the job. Do I want a convicted child molester working at a pre school? No.
        Do I want a convicted dui dude working as a bus driver? Niet.
        Do I want a convicted grafitti vandal working at my tool store. I'd give them a shot.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

If convicts have no legal way to support themselves then they just commit more crimes out of necessity. As not all crimes merit death or indefinite detention, yes convicts need a way to work and earn a living when they get out of prison. Not all jobs necessarily need to be open but options need to exist.
          "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
          ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

'Convicts' got caught, so they were not all that good at what they did. They went to gaol and society says they have paid their price. They HAVE to be reintegrated back into society whenever possible, although obviously not put into positions where they will be tempted to commit the same crime, although there are plenty of examples of poachers turned gamekeepers who have actually helped the police in later life because they know all the loopholes.

What I want to know is - How about all the people engaged in criminal activity who haven't got caught yet?
            Cos they are everywhere. And we don't (usually) know this.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              If convicts have no legal way to support themselves then they just commit more crimes out of necessity. As not all crimes merit death or indefinite detention, yes convicts need a way to work and earn a living when they get out of prison. Not all jobs necessarily need to be open but options need to exist.
              This.

Almost everyone deserves a second chance. I'm all in favour of justice systems that treat prisons as rehabilitation programs, not punishment programs. Part of rehabilitation is learning how to be a productive member of society.

I also agree with Tylluan that sometimes, convicts can be valuable in their former areas of crime. Along with her example, a lot of people who were convicted of cyber crimes or fraud have become valuable additions to cyber crimes and fraud units. They tend to know those areas well and know how people operate within them.

Comment

All the research, all the evidence points to the same end. To reduce crime, poverty, etc., punishment does not work. Punishment, as punishment, perpetuates the problem.

People who are stuck in generational cycles need the opportunity to end that cycle.

I know how irritating this is to people like me who struggled through life, working through their education, or who are paying off huge student debt - then see people "rewarded" for committing a crime with what we sacrificed for.

Yes, we got the stinky end of the stick, but the solution to that injustice isn't more injustice.

We really need to start making societal decisions based on research, not revenge. We've tried revenge, and it just hasn't worked.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I remain neutral on this topic. There some criminals who can work on a job and there are some criminals who can't work because of their serious crimes that they committed.

Comment

The other thing is that all of us make mistakes at some point. Most of us don't make mistakes that would involve breaking the law or going to jail, but we still make them. Should major mistakes ruin our lives? Shouldn't we be given the chance to learn from them and move on to a new chapter in our lives?

I don't know about you guys, but I've broken the law before. I've never done anything that would land me in jail, but I did some things that would give me some pretty hefty fines in my country (and a couple that would have landed me prison sentences in the US, although not here or in Canada). They're not things I'd do now. People often do stupid things when they're younger. Even if they go further than I ever did, I don't think that should ruin the rest of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      All the research, all the evidence points to the same end. To reduce crime, poverty, etc., punishment does not work. Punishment, as punishment, perpetuates the problem.

People who are stuck in generational cycles need the opportunity to end that cycle.

I know how irritating this is to people like me who struggled through life, working through their education, or who are paying off huge student debt - then see people "rewarded" for committing a crime with what we sacrificed for.

Yes, we got the stinky end of the stick, but the solution to that injustice isn't more injustice.

We really need to start making societal decisions based on research, not revenge. We've tried revenge, and it just hasn't worked.
                      The secondary headache here is that distrust can provide as much of a hurdle as vengeance. It's one thing to acknowledge that released criminals need employment somewhere. It's another to trust a convicted thief with access to your company's funds and equipment.
                      "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                      ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        The secondary headache here is that distrust can provide as much of a hurdle as vengeance. It's one thing to acknowledge that released criminals need employment somewhere. It's another to trust a convicted thief with access to your company's funds and equipment.
                        Of course - that's why you have to watch (as has been pointed out) what x-con was incarcerated for what, and what job they are being offered. Also, a position of trust needs to be earned, and that might take years, depending on the degree of trust, and the particular crime.

I agree with what has been said - after prison, all is not forgotten. But they need a chance of some kind. Without the possibility of a paying job, the choices come down to A) just kill them, B) keep them permanently incarcerated, C) let them starve, D) keep them on the permanent dole, E) force them to return to crime, F) expect them to be supported by family, friends or charity.

Maybe there is another choice I've missed...

Comment

Personally I would prefer to see criminals working at a job rather than working at a crime.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            People often do stupid things when they're younger.
                            Also when they are desperate. And when they don't know any better.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                            'Convicts' got caught, so they were not all that good at what they did. They went to gaol and society says they have paid their price.
                            On one hand, yes...but on the other hand, at least in the US, the "justice" system is highly biased against minorities, particularly African Americans. Convicts here are mostly people that were too poor to get a decent lawyer or people of color, or both.
                            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Crime(excluding white collar) is a symptom of economic conditions. You can't keep wages low, outsource industry, make college unattainable, heavily police drugs, and then say the prison system is the solution. That is counter-intuitive.

I was watching a documentary recently about a 14 year who was serving life in Florida for Armed Robbery. No one was hurt in the crime. Due to a Supreme Court ruling that said minors can't be sentenced to life for non-homicides he was up for re-sentencing.

While in prison he took advantage of all the educational programs available to him and was a model prisoner. He had served 12 years and was 26 at his re-sentencing. They paraded the victims in there to cry about how he ahould never be realeased(extremely biased parties influencing sentencing makes perfect sense, doesnt it?) The Judge said, "I do believe you have been rehabilitatedbut that is not enough for this Court." And he was sentenced to 40 years.

It was then that I jumped off of my couch and started yelling at the television, "WTF IS THE POINT OF PRISON THEN YOU $&#%@$&#%@%&%#?"

So, the Justice system serves as a tool of oppression and the deck is heavily stacked against those in poverty. With all this injustice I think a job for someone is the least we can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X