Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Criminals Working At A Job

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Criminals Working At A Job

Just me being my normal self and coming from left field but the idea of criminals working at a job here seems to be entirely focused upon a released criminal. Yet what about those still in jail / prison? There used to be quite a few prison / jail systems that employed work programs both within the prison itself or within certain parts of the civilian community. Even things such as chain gangs that while not what we'd think of as a job today did under some conditions pay the criminal a minimum or lessor wage but made them worked while in jail.

It seems today the jail systems serve but one purpose, to separate them from society and in many ways leave them unemployed. Religion, education, set meals, etc doesn't really seem like punishment or rehabilitation to many. Even less who see it as any form of gainful payment towards their expenses to house, feed, cloth, etc the prisoners.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

One of the problems with inmates working while in prison is that it can easily become a form of de facto slavery - that's what was going on with the chain gangs.

Such programs can be good, especially when they teach usable job skills, but they require more over site than is commonly given. This becomes an uber problem when prisons are privatized.

IMHO - there are some things that should NOT be privatized, especially: prisons, police, the military, and schools. Unfortunately, all of these things are being privatized.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    One of the problems with inmates working while in prison is that it can easily become a form of de facto slavery - that's what was going on with the chain gangs.

Prisons are still wildly guilty of this...maybe not the chain gang part, but the in-all-but-name slave labor, yes. And considering the way our system is racially biased and skewed against the poor, we should just call it what it is.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

A lot of you must not have criminals the way LA has criminals. I think some of you need some qualifiers for me to believe what you are saying.

Just saying.
    Satan is my spirit animal

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    A lot of you must not have criminals the way LA has criminals. I think some of you need some qualifiers for me to believe what you are saying.

Just saying.
    Specificly, which parts?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Maybe street hustlers,con artists,three card Monty dudes....pick pockets..Hard gang types..Thug life types,hustlers,pimps,car thieves,B&E types,on and on in the city..."hot down,summer in the city,back of my neck getting dirt and gritty."

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

Whether or not the UK has criminals like LA has criminals, I don't know (The Yorkshire Ripper; Ian Brady; Rosemary West, Charles Bronson, The Suffolk Strangler, Robert Maudsley), but just because one individual place has "a bit of a record" for its criminals doesn't mean the majority of criminals elsewhere in other countries can't be helped.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Briton View Post
    Whether or not the UK has criminals like LA has criminals, I don't know (The Yorkshire Ripper; Ian Brady; Rosemary West, Charles Bronson, The Suffolk Strangler, Robert Maudsley), but just because one individual place has "a bit of a record" for its criminals doesn't mean the majority of criminals elsewhere in other countries can't be helped.
    Also, just because somewhere has lower street crime doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of other crime. For example, white collar crime is quite rampant in some parts of the developed world.

Honestly, I think white collar criminals are more likely to be beyond help than street criminals, simply because most of them do it out of a sense of entitlement or because they have corrupt morals. But that still doesn't mean they shouldn't be given the chance at all.

Dec 2015
    Religion
    Apatheistic

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Prisons are still wildly guilty of this...maybe not the chain gang part, but the in-all-but-name slave labor, yes. And considering the way our system is racially biased and skewed against the poor, we should just call it what it is.
    Our systems aren't racially biased. Our society is. Has been since Reconstruction. Obviously before too but that was when slavery was OK and Jesus hated the blacks.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Our systems aren't racially biased. Our society is.
    Considering that the latter feeds the former and that the former reinforces the latter, its all one and the same.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible