Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty: Support It Or Against It

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Re: Death Penalty: Support It Or Against It

Quote Originally Posted by Briton View Post
    Only because that's how the law is set up.
    Only because we have to have a lengthy appeals process because the State gets it wrong so many times it requires 20 years of review.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

I definitely think there are people that deserve to die for their crimes. But the fact that, even with all our tech, we still get it wrong sometimes, I can't condone it. Honestly, I'm of the opinion that certain crimes should constitute being sent to an island in the middle of nowhere, survival of the fittest. But we tried that with Australia and that didn't work all that well either. Shrug.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

I don't trust the government, any branch, enough to give them the power of life and death. I am not against corporal punishment, including death, but it needs to be quick and final.
    The time to administer the death penalty is during the commission of the crime. That way it is directly connected to a barbaric act and not to getting caught years later.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Remind me not to look any kind of guilty around you...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Dec 2015
    Religion
    Celtic pagan
    Phrase
    Intergrity; doing the right thing even if no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    It costs far more to execute than to house for life so it would seem execution is a larger drain on the taxpayer dollar.
    I am not quite sure how a .22 shell costs more than a lifetime behind bars. I am for the death penalty for those who truly deserve it. I don't see it as an eye for an eye but as true justice done.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

That's a Chinese thing,shoot you,and charge your family for the bullet cost.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Dec 2015
    Religion
    Celtic pagan
    Phrase
    Intergrity; doing the right thing even if no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    I think it really depends on the crime. I am sort of divided on it. I really think that there are some people who deserve the death penalty, but I think that people who have committed horrible crimes should stew in it. They should really have to think about what they did. It's a difficult decision I think.
    One problem is that there are people who commit horrible crimes that "stewing in it" will do nothing but prime them to commit more crimes. Psychopaths rarely ever feel guilt about there crimes and are rarely able to be rehabilitated. Same with sociopaths, although they are not usually the violent types. A serial killer stewing in what they did only lets them remember and celebrate their crime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    That's a Chinese thing,shoot you,and charge your family for the bullet cost.
    I am not saying that the cost should pass on to the family. But while it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to house a violent criminal for life it only costs cents on the dollar for a .22 shell. That would be a huge cost saving measure.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Taulmaril View Post
    I am not quite sure how a .22 shell costs more than a lifetime behind bars. I am for the death penalty for those who truly deserve it. I don't see it as an eye for an eye but as true justice done.
    The actual killing isn't the expensive part. The long appeal process built to make sure you aren't killing the wrong person is the expensive part and removing that appeal process increases the odds of executing the innocent. An old article but

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...h-penalty.html

There are lots of errors in death penalty cases unless dramatic improvements have been made since 2000.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Taulmaril View Post
    Because you can't just shoot someone and have it be done with. You have to keep them in jail for a while as they go through a lengthy appeals process. Considering that even THAT doesn't keep some innocent people from facing the death penalty, it's hard to morally argue for just shooting them upon conviction and being done with it. We used to do that (though it was hanging back then). There's a good reason we don't anymore.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

It seems to me that people who are advocating express use of the death penalty fail to address the obvious issue of innocent people getting executed which means that you are either so naive that you believe the justice system gets it right 100% of the time or that you just don't care that innocent people will get executed.

So, which is it?