Restraining Order: Useful Or Useless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restraining Order: Useful Or Useless

I find restraining order useless because most of the time people who's on the restraining order violates the order to continue to stalk and harrassed the victim. Also the restraining order doesn't prevent from being killed by the person. So what's your opinion on restraining order? Do you find it useful or useless?

Re: Restraining Order: Useful Or Useless

Have study, will travel

Protection orders are widely used legal interventions intended to reduce the risk of future harm by one person considered to be a threat to another. However, there has been controversy about when and whether such orders are useful. This article is a review of empirical studies of outcomes associated with protection orders and factors associated with violations of the orders. Although protection orders are not a panacea, the results support that they can serve a useful role in threat management. We describe factors to consider before implementing a protection order.

The answer is apparently that they do reduce problems but the degree of reduction is variable based on a list of factors that I'm entirely too lazy to name.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'd say that even though they can be and are frequently violated, it's better than nothing. N'est-ce pas?

Comment

I think it depends on a variety of situations as to why you're getting one as to how useful they are, as well as the intelligence level of BOTH parties. I say both because an old friend of mine (this issue was actually why she stopped speaking to me) issued one against the father of her kid because he was starting to be an abusive pos........what does SHE do? Go and visit him. Um, no sweetie-they work both ways and you going near him on purpose violates it and YOU can be arrested and lose your kid in the process.

However, they can be good as sometimes cops can't do much about a problem until certain lines have been crossed. It sucks that that's the way it is, but at least its a step. However, I do stand by the saying "Teach your kids to shoot because a restraining order is just a piece of paper" for when those kinds of really bad situations get overly out of hand.
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I'd say that even though they can be and are frequently violated, it's better than nothing. N'est-ce pas?
          This is true. Without one, the police can't actually do anything to prevent stalking or verbal harassment, since, technically, hanging around or shouting aren't against the law.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Useful for this reason:
            Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Without one, the police can't actually do anything to prevent stalking or verbal harassment, since, technically, hanging around or shouting aren't against the law.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Yup, it's useful in the fact that it starts a paper trail for the police and/or lawyers to assist with a case.

However, as touched upon, it goes both ways. And it is still only a piece of paper, so other action should be taken, especially with a violent offender.
              ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

And if the person who asked for it Violates it,they(the police) will null and void it(Had a friend who did that,and it did not end well)
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The police do not have the job (nor can they perform the job) of protecting individuals from harm. The restraining order allows the police to prosecute for violating the order, basically contempt of court without having to prove intended harm. The order provides a path but that piece of paper does not protect you. You have the responsibility to provide your own self defense. Every animal and most plants have the means to defend themselves against harm. People, being part of the animal world have the responsibility to defend themselves. They must also, therefore, have the right to defend themselves. If you live in a country that doesn't allow self defense then you are less important to your country than the animals and plants, they retain their right to self defense.
                  The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                  I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Again,do not shoot me because I seem not normal to you because I have long hair,and might look like a "Crazy" biker to you..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Again,do not shoot me because I seem not normal to you because I have long hair,and might look like a "Crazy" biker to you..
                      I have long hair....
                      I have a few friends that are "crazy bikers"....
                      I would only shoot someone who was a threat to the lives or well being of those I love, including myself....
                      I don't know you, and you don't seem to be a threat to me or my life, why would I shoot you?
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

Who knows....life is strange..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Who knows....life is strange..
                          People are strange - life is good.

Comment

Why does DragonsFriend turn every thread into a conversation about shooting someone?

Comment

I did wonder that myself PM,perhaps he really wants to shoot someone....Bucket list???

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X