I Got A Few Issues With Some Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Got A Few Issues With Some Religion

Hey everybody. Before I begin, I'm just going to let you know that I'm not an atheist nor agnostic at that matter and I do believe in God. Since that is out of the way I'm going to tell you some problems I've with some religions. It just when religious people try to use the good word by some religion such as Christianity and Islam for example they use the good word out of context. Such as homosexuality a sin or If you don't worship Allah you get killed. (I never read the Qu'ran before but this is what I heard from some Muslims.) They switched the good word into absoulate hate and evil. Now I know everybody in this forum must have experience this before. It look like religion is always misinterpreted the good word in the some extremist religion. That's about it.

Re: I Got A Few Issues With Some Religion

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do misinterpret the Bible or the Qu'ran. It's sad. There are also people who go around trying to sell their religion door-to-door. I used to experience it in my old home at Beckley, WV. I would respectfully listen, but think 'oh shut up.' My brother-in-law thinks that Catholicism is the only religion that is right. He thinks that I worship a false god. So when it comes to family, I never mention religion when I am with him and my sister. Anyway, they're around and we have to deal with them. Just know that you are not alone. Don't let what anyone says get you down because they think they're religion is right.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

>misinterpret.

I think you mean use perfectly valid interpretations to justify their hatred and prejudices. Almost everyone who reads those texts are bringing in their biases and prejudices, picking and choosing small parts of it to reinforce and fit into whatever narrative they want to spin.

I accept that it happens.

I go with the idea of the Death of the Author, that the understanding of a text based on personal context is every bit as valid as an interpretation based on historical context. If not moreso.

Interpretations are all equally subjective. Some might be more or less well informed, but that doesn't make them less valid. Less true.

Or, to put this in more biblical terms, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith." - Romans 12:6
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        I go with the idea of the Death of the Author, that the understanding of a text based on personal context is every bit as valid as an interpretation based on historical context. If not moreso.
        deconstructionism: a theory used in the study of literature or philosophy which says that a piece of writing does not have just one meaning and that the meaning depends on the reader

So when I give my wife a Valentine's Day card that says "I love you more than anything," And she deconstructs it to mean "I'm having a hot romance with that blond chick" her reading is just as valid as the one I intended?

This would make communication very, very... er... impossible. Why bother, then?
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Eh, religion has been used to justify almost every heinous act ever committed. Look at the crusades, and inquisition. Slavery was justified, and was, and still is racism. Women are still treated less thanks to relIgious texts telling men they were superior. And now you, we have the oppression of gays, and transgender.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            So when I give my wife a Valentine's Day card that says "I love you more than anything," And she deconstructs it to mean "I'm having a hot romance with that blond chick" her reading is just as valid as the one I intended?
            And if we based interpretations solely on historical context, most valentine cards would be interpreted as the Hallmark corporation loving their consumer base's money. It is personal context, such as the relationship between the person giving the card and the person receiving the card, that makes it a romantic gesture. That defines who the "I" and "you" are in the first place.

If authorial intent is all that matters, why are we discussing the implications of what I am saying and not the point? It shouldn't matter what you think about my post, what matters is what I think about it.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

These religions were improvements for their time, but morality changes with time and culture. What men thought was acceptable once (wife auctions, for instance) would be deemed unacceptable by even the most conservative in the Anglophone world. And that was only a couple centuries ago.

Remember that the Quran states that marriage should be for reasons other than familial alliances, such as love. This was groundbreaking in the Arabian peninsula. A lot of harm can be justified by the Hebrew or Arab religions' holy texts.

There are multiple attitudes that can be justified by these texts, but by no means all. Some education of the text such as understanding the language of the original texts (it's worth remembering that in the case of the New Testament that there is no " THE original Greek text", there are a number of manuscripts for most books) because some translations prefer a word for word translation, which is neither possible nor always sensible.

However, a flavour of religion told to you by your imam or pastor may have no grounding in the contextual reality. Chinese whispers and all that.
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                These religions were improvements for their time

I don't see how any converting Abhramic religions were improvements of any monotheistic religion. They would ruthlessly kill those who didn't agree with them, and convert the rest who were conditioned by fear. Christianity also plagiarized every single major story we find written in the Bible. Go do some digging into the similarities between Egyptian and Christian mythology.

If theres anything to be upset about in today's world, it's the oppression of different groups for ethnic, religious, gender, or sexual orientations.
                But I find the true insults lie within the stealing of traditions and holidays. Just salt to the wound.
                "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

If authorial intent is all that matters, why are we discussing the implications of what I am saying and not the point? It shouldn't matter what you think about my post, what matters is what I think about it.
                  If someone doesn't say what they mean, then it doesn't matter what they say.

The implication IS part of the point.

Personal context, when reading texts that are historical and specific to a particular culture, without historical context and cultural context isn't fully informed. As such, it may be perfectly valid as a personal truth, but its not valid beyond that.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Personal context, when reading texts that are historical and specific to a particular culture, without historical context and cultural context isn't fully informed. As such, it may be perfectly valid as a personal truth, but its not valid beyond that.
                    It seems like you are trying to refute my point, but you basically just rephrased what I said in my earlier post. Unless you are agreeing with me, and I am misinterpreting your intent.

Anyway, while I was googling stuff to make sure I wasn't talking bollocks I came across a page on the Methodist approach to this stuff and found it an interesting read.

Comment

I dunno. I was just foolin'.

But if my interpretation is what matters, not what you want to say, why are you trying to correct me?
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Religion makes people do some terrible things. Like, when I was a kid, religion used to make me get up early on Sunday. *shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                          Religion makes people do some terrible things. Like, when I was a kid, religion used to make me get up early on Sunday. *shudder*
                          Yeah, I always felt dirty after being dragged into church...

Comment

My take is,belief is between you and your deity of choice. What works for you most likely will not work for others,even if you go to a group church,each one has a one on one with their personal spiritual entity.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Anything that can be used to justify ones point of view, especially when it's morally questionable, will be used. Religion is part of a power structure, so it's even more susceptible to abuse. No religion is free of this. Blame the ones that use their faith for violence and hate, not the religion itself. Not all practitioners cherry pick to justify their own prejudices.
                              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                              X